The pros and cons of cello wrap

Cuban cigars only come in cellos if they're machine, given few exceptions regarding special packaging. Why do you think that is? looking.gif

Simplicity, ease, and cost of material. I heard they had ridiculous trouble sourcing the RA 898 cabs. Could you imagine how many problems they would have if they needed to source some cello for that too? Also the manpower to put them in the cello.

Inefficiencies they can easily eliminate.

Cigars pre-1980s almost always came in cello, tubes, or foil. Why do you think that is?

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Simplicity, ease, and cost of material. I heard they had ridiculous trouble sourcing the RA 898 cabs. Could you imagine how many problems they would have if they needed to source some cello for that too? Also the manpower to put them in the cello.

Inefficiencies they can easily eliminate.

Cigars pre-1980s almost always came in cello, tubes, or foil. Why do you think that is?

Lack of proper humidification, anything to help? Speculating here looking.gif

Re the general topic, surprised as the cello on, cello off topic had gone on ad nauseam across dozens of boards.

It's true cello was quite standard with premium Habanos in the past mid-century. Look at the original releases of Cohiba.

looking.gif

Sorry i missed the memo on this emoticon! laugh.png

how do you mean 'lack of proper humidification, Mike? looking.gif

It's true cello was quite standard with premium Habanos in the past mid-century. Look at the original releases of Cohiba.

You mean these? happy.png

post-19800-0-61238600-1409376163_thumb.j

Edit: Damn. Didn't get the cello in...

When I have the luck to find a box of vintage machine made habanos (RA Mille Fleur, RA Belvederes, Gispert Habaneros, etc.) I'm actually glad they're cellophaned, as I find them in very good condition.

I have cigars from the 1970's and good thing they have cello wrapping, Or else ,God only knows what state they would be In !!! pod.gif

PRO

-Protect cigars when they're laying in a pile of loosies

-Yellow-cello has been a reliable metric of whether a cigar has had ample humidor time

-Keeps an old, somewhat dry cigar smokeable for longer

CON

-It's plastic that isn't quite necessary

-During side-by-side NC trials, I've seen them age slower

do you leave the Cello on or off when aging?

have you found leaving them on affects the aging process (for the good or bad).

Does cello make you think it is "less" premium?

The pro's and cons of cello. Let me know your thoughts.

If it comes with cello, the cello stays on no matter the anticipated storage duration. Keep in mind that this is a reflection of my specific situation: I keep lots of stock and smoke slowly so even 2011 is short term, recent vintage for me.

I have not done any head to head testing. At least on NC cigars, cello does slow down the development. I've stored Padron cigars with and without cello for years and I can unequivocally attest that the ones without cello go dull twice as quickly as with.

Pro: protective, may slow down aging development

Con: none

Pros:

-Protects their feet

-Easy for me to pocket

Protection. Perhaps the #1, indisputable attribute of cellophane overwrap.

I think they were Joyitas, though that was some time ago so I can't remember the type exactly. I also purchased some cigars off Trevor some time back where he threw in some smaller cigars that were cello wrapped.

God, I love Joyitas. Love their rough and tumble cousins, RG Cigarritos as well.

I think the concept of cello retarding aging is probably far overblown. Cello is fully air-permeable, and I'm not sure how it could change much. But i'll admit that's a hard thing to prove one way or another.

Air isn't "just" air. The three things any barrier or semipermeable membrane like cello or poly overwrap interacts with and mediates the passage of are oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor. Polyethylene (ziploc), polyvinylidene chloride (Saran), and cellophane (cellulose) have different properties with respect to the three most important atmospheric gases for cigars storage.

This has got to be one of the most controversial questions in the cigar world. I remember asking google these questions when I first got into cigars years ago. If you asked 1,000 people if they leave them on or take them off, it will be a split. The pros outweigh the cons and the cons outweigh the pros. Some I left on, and some I left off. I'm glad that 95% of my cigars now don't come with cello, so I don't have to beat myself up anymore and ask myself these questions again. smile.png

I believe this is because it is a second order, indirect manifestation of values and personal preference. Very similar to the question of whether to remove or leave on the bands before smoking. Clearly there is no effect on smoking performance, but the choice people make about bands has more to do with whether they feel leaving it on is showy and elitist on the part of the smoker.

Cello does have an effect on cigars, at the very least in terms of physical protection. But even though this point is indisputable, it's the other psychological, cultural stuff people get hung up on.

Not overly keen on them on premium cigars as personally I think it makes cigars look cheap; like a Henry Winterman or King Edward etc

No issues at all with the lower end cigars though. The cardboard pack idea seem good, anything to prevent the cardboard effect.

It would have a negative effect for celebrities though, cedar sleeves are more combustible and taste better than smoking a cigar with the cellophane on.

What is the "cardboard effect?"

Again, looking cheap is a cultural artifact. A learned association.

Wilkey

• Like 1

What is the "cardboard effect?"

There is a generalisation that cigars stored in Cardboard takes the flavour of the musty paper after a bit.

Perhaps it's only psychological. But many swear by it.

Speaking of packaging, refer to PM now Wilks :)

Cellophane is NOT a plastic.

I can contest you on that.

Whilst not produced like normal plastics (from crude oils), it is etymologically defined as such. from the Greek 'mold (vb)', that's how it is made. It is set into shape or wound whilst soft and then harded with another process to maintain the shape.

On top of that, it's essentially a synthetic organic polymer consisting of a chain of a simple sugars repeated infiticimally. That's what most plastics are.

For all intents and purposes, it's a plastic.

• Like 3

I stand corrected. I though the word "plastic" applied for petrochemical products only.

Yep, most plastics are produced from petrochemicals.

Bioplastics are made substantially from renewable plant materials such as cellulose and starch. So, cellophane is considered a bioplastic form of plastic.....

Whilst not produced like normal plastics (from crude oils), it is etymologically defined as such. from the Greek 'mold (vb)', that's how it is made. It is set into shape or wound whilst soft and then harded with another process to maintain the shape.

On top of that, it's essentially a synthetic organic polymer consisting of a chain of a simple sugars repeated infiticimally. That's what most plastics are.

For all intents and purposes, it's a plastic.

Good points but clarification is needed.

In colloquial, layperson reckoning, cellophane would be fairly considered a "plastic." That is, something that is of an artificial material that is neither animal, mineral, nor vegetable.

They would be correct (without knowing it) in the sense that cellophane is made of cellulose which, as you also correctly remarked, is a natural polymeric polysaccharide. But, they would be incorrrect in the sense of it being a petro-based synthetic polymer. This is a semantic distinction the general populace would not be expected to make.

Plastic has nothing to do with the working or forming of the material in this case, it's simply an alternate definition of the word. Plastic as in amenable to manipulation or changeable. This is also the sense behind the word "neuroplasticity" which is the capacity to change our brain and its function to learn and develop expertise. Iron smithing is a process which takes advantage of the plastic nature of hot metal.

To further sharpen the point, all plastics are polymers. That is the definition. Some polymers are natural (cellulose). Some synthetic polymers are made from petroleum feedstock (polyethylene). Some synthetic polymers are not petro-derived (polysiloxane/silicones). And finally, some polymers are synthesized from natural plant-based feedstocks (polylactide), what HabanaMike referred to as bioplastics.

It's been quite a few years since grad school, but to this day, I still find polymer science and composite materials to be an intensely fascinating subject.

Wilkey

• Like 3

If the cigar is cello wrapped, I leave it that way. Most NCs are wrapped, while most CCs are unwrapped. I prefer cello wrapped, because you have less chance of damaging the cigar when you unbox it or move it.

In addition to protection while handling the cigars I enjoy cello on my sticks because of my passive humidification system. In Maine we have extremely humid summers. For a few weeks it even gets hot! My coolers are sealed as well as I can manage but my coolerdor system is simply a weather strip seal and silica beads. I have no A/C in my house. Consequently, my RH does tend to fluctuate somewhat and I feel my cello wrapped cigars are less prone to be affected by these short term fluctuations and are more stable at the longer term RH average inside my coolers. My naked sticks react to the changing RH more quickly and can be un-smokeable in the middle of the summer.

...my RH does tend to fluctuate somewhat and I feel my cello wrapped cigars are less prone to be affected by these short term fluctuations and are more stable at the longer term RH average inside my coolers.

Interesting. If you have stock that you don't expect to smoke during the summer, I'd consider wrapping them in foil, a much superior humidity barrier. I wrap some of my long term boxes in foil.

Wilkey

I stand corrected. I though the word "plastic" applied for petrochemical products only.

Always so quick to tell others when they are wrong...jester.gif

• 4 years later...
On 8/29/2014 at 8:41 AM, CaptainQuintero said:

Not overly keen on them on premium cigars as personally I think it makes cigars look cheap; like a Henry Winterman or King Edward etc

No issues at all with the lower end cigars though. The cardboard pack idea seem good, anything to prevent the cardboard effect.

It would have a negative effect for celebrities though, cedar sleeves are more combustible and taste better than smoking a cigar with the cellophane on.

Your right about it look cheap 

I would like to see cellos on foh-nudies. This could be another vintage feature along with the revival of discontinued vitolas.
In addition to the advantages already mentioned here, I will add my 5 cents:
- cigar hygiene issue;
- protection of the wrapper from damage when shifting cigars;
- protective membrane for sudden changes in humidity (a sharp decrease or increase);
- illusion of premium cigars shine.

I personally love cello on cigars, to me it helps the cigar maintain its aroma much longer. Kinda like a cheaper version of the tubo. Yes it is porous, but also can  be helpful if you have fluctuations in storing conditions. I too like to see the nice yellowed oil buildup on cello when removed. Think are especially helpful if you have singles, that don't have a box of their own to call home.