The Greatest Plume-Bloom-Mold Thread in the Entire Universe!

Ginseng

Plume/Bloom: real or imaginary?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

like this

Link: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/218876-origin-cigar-plume-bloom.html "My question then is this: when have you ever seen an oil crystallize, especially one at room tempera

Here is a pic of the cigars I have, with the closest match according to the descriptions that people have posted in theory. The cigars are approximately 40 years old. In the video, the reflectivity of the substance is apparent. The still photo is the best I could do with my current lens.

Does the substance wipe away? Yes, it does. I have wetted the wrappers of these cigars before smoking, due to them being thin and fragile. Is the formation of the substance due to a migration of oils to the surface of the wrapper, in combination with crystallization? I have no clue. I'm not an organic chemist... nor do I have the equipment to perform the experiments.

DSC_0151_zps62323616.jpg

http://vid1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/bsthe/a1ce437a.mp4

• Like 1

rotfl.gif

you must be kidding! LOLOLOLOL

Please, just ignore me, ok?

Oh, so you see a crystallization on this picture? You need to consult an ophtalmologist. After all you have already confessed that you're not able to tell the difference: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119476&page=2#entry508402

btw it's difficult to ignore you since you not only constantly attack me, but also constantly demonstrate that you don't understand the ongoing discussions.

Hey bro, hate to say I can see this is mould. It is actually on the leather of the travel humidor. So it definitely isn't plume.

From my mobile phone

Maybe it's the oils from the leather of the humidor crystallising stir.gif

• Like 1

For the ones who have willingness, it was plume.

Sadly the cigars are long time already smoked and these pictures were tooken 2-3 years ago without a good camera.

They smoked brilliant. For the one who likes to dig my posts you will find my opinions about HU Robusto Travel Humidor in several threads. If this was mold I beg to any of you teach me how to "mold" cigars.

I bought this travel humi from a worldwide well known LCDH and they arrived in that condition. I photographed to my files, it was the first time I received already plumed cigars.

If you can't/don't want to believe me just ignore me and let me smoke my molded cigars. I love them.

They smoked brilliant. For the one who likes to dig my posts you will find my opinions about HU Robusto Travel Humidor in several threads. If this was mold I beg to any of you teach me how to "mold" cigars.

If you can't/don't want to believe me just ignore me and let me smoke my molded cigars. I love them.

I don't understand why you make a correlation between mold and quality. No one ever said that a bit of mold is detrimental to a good cigar, as long as it's wiped off within a reasonable time, or at least monitored so that it does not spread in excess.

• Like 2

No, it's not. Keep on guessing... like always.

Honestly, that's definitely not plume/bloom. Wipe it off and smoke away. The absence of bloom doesn't make a great cigar any less great.

But no doubt, that's not bloom.

• Like 1

Whats so good about plume anyway? Seeing as we're not even sure it exists who says cigars with plume taste better than ones without. Sometimes the sugars in chocolates crystallise on the surface, you don't see people reaching for them over the ones that are perfectly tempered and shiny. If the flavours of the cigar are in the oils then i'd rather the oils were still in the leaf, preferably visible with a nice sheen.

Whats so good about plume anyway?

Is it desirable? / Why does it occur? These were precisely the questions that have motivated these threads. Obviously, no one has a definite answer. These threads don't give any info that you couldn't find in a similar thread at Cigarwise or Cigarweekly, 15 years ago…

As for the "WHY", again, Davidoff wrote (in the 70's) that well kept cigars "may" blossom, as a natural step in their life cycle.

(I can't find the dxxx book in my mess tantrum.gif )

Chicken. Egg. It is an interesting discussion. But the shoes. Club, that just was uncalled for. You are off my Mahjong list sweetie.

I quite enjoyed the shoes, does that make me a bad person?

I have it on a couple of my sticks. At first I thought it was dust because that's what it looks like. But it wouldn't wipe off when I touched it so I assumed it's "plume". I tried to take a few shots with flash to show it better.

IMG_2499_zps267e7fbe.jpg

IMG_2497_zps5c008b0c.jpg

IMG_2494_zpsb25bf784.jpg

• Like 2

I really want to post the Unicorn pic! rotfl.gifrotfl.giflol3.gif

It's been a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure I will get reprimanded.....again.

lookaround.gif

• Like 2

I've obviously seen mold, and have also seen what we all call plume.

I've had many cigars with plume over the years, I don't believe I currently have any, nor will I go checking all the boxes looking for it. My storage location and conditions have changed very significantly, and I have not seen any plume yet with my current storage arrangements. If I run across any I will post it.

I have it on a couple of my sticks. At first I thought it was dust because that's what it looks like. But it wouldn't wipe off when I touched it so I assumed it's "plume".

Now that's interesting. What are (were) the storage conditions of these cigars?

I recently bought a box of the vintage '05 H Upmann mag 46's. A cardboard box of 5 cardboard boxes of 3 cigars each. (petacas) One cigar in one box had a wrapper that was noticeably darker and oilier than the rest and it was covered in a fine white dust. (apparently they don't bother trying to match wrappers when they're going into cardboard because no self respecting cigar aficionado would buy cardboard ;-} ) It was the only one out of the 15 that showed plume. Obviously the cigars were all stored together and if it was mold, they all would have been affected. I'm now convinced plume does exist as is directly related to the oils in the cigar/wrapper and time.

Sorry, I didn't analyze it or take pictures. I just wiped it off and put it in the cedar box that I'm storing the cigars in, because basically, I don't give a damn about plume. Like others here have said, it's more important how it smokes and not how it looks.

I wish good luck to those in search of their holy grail.

Dan

Unless it's green, smoke it. It's pixie dust.

I've had a couple of cigars sit too close to a humidifier sponge and absorbed water directly. They wrinkled, swelled, and got moldy. It was pretty obvious. Not like plume... like bread mold. As for plume (pixie dust), I'm with oliverdst.