Reminder on Beetles and Customs

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a distraught e-mail from a member earlier this week who found a beetle infestation in his Ramon Allones Specially Select. The box was from 2012 and purchased in Cuba. The box was placed at th

Dude, Seriously? BRB checking all cartoons and comics for factual inaccuracies

Dear Sir, With all due respect, do you think your response was kind of a downer? The poster was trying to add humor and lightness to this thread, yet you remark a fallacy in his attempt. We do appr

Thanks for mentioning this rob... I actually had been gifted a custom a few months ago but when it arrived it came with a little visitor... I immediately let the gifter know to check his sticks and freeze his cigars which took some coaxing because he didn't want to hamper quality by freezing...

To those afraid of ruining their stock by freezing, take it from me, if done correctly there is no real loss in flavor or aging potential...

• Like 1

Good advice, Prez

I had a few bundles come in and ended up putting them in a seperate tupperware container for a couple of months before putting them in the humi

I wasnt concerned about beetles (mainly cause I didnt think about them) it was more a space issue

Reminds me to dig up some boxes and check/rotate. Especially in this heat wave in western Canada.

Now that my humidor is effectively in the crawl space, it stays cooler (that's where I keep my wine too). On the main floor, it was a breeding ground as the indoor temp soared into the high 20s and much higher when the sun shone on it. Some farmies were suspect. I've had a few beetles over the years. Luckily not many. I think I still only freeze about half of what I buy. Maybe I should rethink.

WHat about if you bought cigars from the early 90's? Would they be too delicate to handle being frozen now? or would the fact they haven't broken out in beetles now indicated they don't have any anyway?

Thanks for the advice! I'm getting some Johnny-Os in the mail soon so I will be freezing them for sure.

I just got some Johnnys and I asked if he froze. He told me he freezes his stock, but by all means freeze again if you want.

Edit to add quote:

Here is his answer when I asked if I should freeze: "...these have been frozen, but if you feel like freezing the again there is no harm in that. The leaf is factory leaf and it has been cured/aged/processed by factory standards."

But this is only Johnny, this does not apply to all customs.

This illustration is nice but completely inaccurate: the larvae eat tobacco and punch holes. The adults (as pictured) fly away - if they're not stuck inside a box or humidor…

Dude, Seriously?

BRB checking all cartoons and comics for factual inaccuracies

• Like 4

Reminds me to dig up some boxes and check/rotate. Especially in this heat wave in western Canada.

Now that my humidor is effectively in the crawl space, it stays cooler (that's where I keep my wine too). On the main floor, it was a breeding ground as the indoor temp soared into the high 20s and much higher when the sun shone on it. Some farmies were suspect. I've had a few beetles over the years. Luckily not many. I think I still only freeze about half of what I buy. Maybe I should rethink.

Speaking of heat waves in Western Canada been having a hell of a time with heat and humidity control this summer. Finally got it down to 21ish with 68% and going through picking out a smoke and noticed a hole in one. Double checked all the rest and nothing. Put them all in the freezer anyway. Thank god I don't have a big collection... yet. That was with it in my basement too.

Dude, Seriously?

BRB checking all cartoons and comics for factual inaccuracies

We. Must. Maintain. Accuracy. At. All. Times. Whimsy. Is. Verboten. (In my best K-9 voice a la Dr Who)

• Like 2