Reminder on Beetles and Customs

Resident entomologist checking in smile.png

It is only logical that since the larvae pupates inside the cigar, whenever the adult hatches, it will hold still for a bit, then wander around a bit inside the cigar before exiting and walking/flying around. In that relative time window (after hatching and before exiting to wander outside), an adult beetle can be found inside a cigar.

Edit: A newly hatched insect is very soft and fragile. They will typically hold still for a few hours until their shell has hardened and it is safe for them to walk around. Media (usually wood) boring beetle larvae will typically eat the media they live in until right at the point of exit, leaving a thin film for protection between them and the outside. When the adult hatches and is ready to leave the media to fly away, it cuts away the protective film (here the wrapper) in a round (for most beetle species) shaped exit hole and then crawls through it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a distraught e-mail from a member earlier this week who found a beetle infestation in his Ramon Allones Specially Select. The box was from 2012 and purchased in Cuba. The box was placed at th

Dude, Seriously? BRB checking all cartoons and comics for factual inaccuracies

Dear Sir, With all due respect, do you think your response was kind of a downer? The poster was trying to add humor and lightness to this thread, yet you remark a fallacy in his attempt. We do appr

But, I have never seen, nor don't know anyone who has seen, an adult ALIVE in a box or a cab. It's the larvæ that live inside the cigar, feed on it and punches holes (to say hello?).

SC I can confirm to have seen many an adult crawling in a box. Worse I have seen them exiting a box and flying to other boxes. I haven't seen the latter (flying around) since 2005 and the HSA freezing program. I have rarely seen adult beetles still alive in a box (since 2005). Neat hole punched through a cigar, dead adult. Still I come across it maybe 10 times a year. Given I look through some 11000 boxes a year, it is a vast improvement.

Pre 2005 (not sure now) tobacco beetle pheromone traps were a staple in B&M humidors to capture the adult beetles. They seem to have gone out of fashion somewhat.

I may have misunderstood your point so apologies if I have done so.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone clue me in on what is a "custom" cigar?

Custom cigars are those blended outside of the Tabacuba/HSA portfolio.

They can be rolled by known rollers and not so known rollers. Some of these rollers have an International reputation for blending and rolling great cigars. Custom cigars can also be available at well known (and some not so well known) fincas. In some cases the roller is known, in many cases he/she is not.

Custom cigars can be sourced from some vendors. The above applies.

• Like 1

this video was made from YOU!!?!?

Good show ok.gif

Addendum: Youtube commenting sampler:

MrJjnor 7 months ago said: "what r u talking about best having the cigars frozen, yo udont know s**t about cigars!!!"

Paladin1352 responds: "You ARE supposed to freeze them, you uneducated t**tnozzle."

The video itself was not from me. It was Marc dissecting, Simon doing the cellphone video, and me cavorting like a drunken retard (surprise, surprise) in the background with Art.

This was made 2012 Havana. Marc and I went into scientist mode real quick when we saw dust near the cigar. Keith, you weren't that drunk...were you?lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...