Buying without having smoked...

Took the plunge and ordered a box of Partagas Lusitanias. Have never tasted them before.

Just to make an easy decision, I choose to trust those who talks positive of them, ignoring the few who don't.. ;-)

I know I'll be enjoying them regardless.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I much prefer "smoking without having bought"

Just about every box I have bought was without sampling the cigar first. I used the reviews here to help guide me to cigars I think I would like based on the flavors. That never really let me down.

I buy something different every time; smoke some, put some away so I can build a varied collection. I often buy stuff i haven't tried, or if I have, it was so long ago I can't remember it. It's not

For me, it depends on the price per box as I don't have deep pockets. I've bought the PSD4, RASS, and now the HDM Epi 2 blind and haven't been disappointed yet. If it's more than 225 US per 25 count box, I never buy blind for CCs. For NCs, I very rarely buy blind at all.

As Leaflover put it, yes all the time.

However, more important to me is the vitola. For example I know I do not like pyramids types, exception for the Monte 2. And I'm not a big churchill lover, but I do like DC's and Lonsdale, and most 44 to 40 RG coronas & extras. Robustos are overproduced. Point I'm trying to make is I purchase mostly based on vitola, even if its from a brand I don't have much experience with because odds are I'm going to like it. Honestly, I've really not come across a brand which I've downright not enjoyed on some level. There is bad leaf out there but you can get that in just about any box.

The first couple times for me was buying prez's sampler. And I've found that their taste matched mine. In fact I enjoyed h. Uppman connie 1 before smithy recommended it cuz I bought a robusto sampler. In fact I try to get a small box ie a box 10 to try it out 1st. To be honest most of top picks on the forum n prez hit list have been in sync with my taste bud.

I have done it a lot but mostly just venturing out within a Marca or vitola I enjoy. Some have been straight blind purchases, but I have been lucky.

I enjoy about 95% of what I have. The rest might just become hand outs or trades.

I also like to buy what is good now, so when Rob has a sale I sometimes take a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to in order to figure out what I like. If there is a stellar recommendation and I can get that exact box code I'll take a chance. Other wise I know what I like and have enough cigars to buy, hold, and make an assessment over time.

I sometimes find this imperative for certain Regionals.

Mainly the German and Spanish ones. I'm not going to trouble people to get singles for me. Box or nada. And they're cheap enough to justify blind box buys :)

• Like 1

i buy boxes more so without ever trying then buying when i have tried... because i'm not at the point in stoggie career i'm ready to just stock up with what i love.

Both, have and have not tried.

Buy those I've had because they're tried and true, generally don't disappoint. Others because I want to give them a try and generally would rather have a box than singles....

Hi all I agree with all that has been said ,if you have smoked enough cigars by now you should have a good idea what floats your boat as far as flavours ,shape ,palate etc etc

So then it becomes an educated guess ,that's before you get to the variances between each box "thanks Cuba"LOL.

Some of my most favourite Cigars of all time were discovered in this way

Enjoy

For sure I have bought without tasting. In fact, many bought over the last year have not even been sampled...just letting them rest and mature. Really, with the CCs it is often about quality of construction and that is where Prez comes in...helping to avoid the junk sticks. Yes there are flavor differences and preferences, but if the cigar is well made its flavor rarely presents a problem. In the mean time I continue to build the humidor stash and it's quality/inventory.