Buying without having smoked...

I've blind bought a few boxes before heck I just picked up a box of RASS and for NC I picked up a box of Cabaiguan Celebrando 25 Años just recently blindly.

I havn't smoked the RASS yet they are still resting, the cabs though was very happy with my purchase there.

I figure for the most part I know what I like and pick a blind box, I figure also if I don't like it I can always flip it at my cost there's always someone out there that would want it. Or I'll sit on them for a while and age them to see if my tastes change.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I much prefer "smoking without having bought"

Just about every box I have bought was without sampling the cigar first. I used the reviews here to help guide me to cigars I think I would like based on the flavors. That never really let me down.

I buy something different every time; smoke some, put some away so I can build a varied collection. I often buy stuff i haven't tried, or if I have, it was so long ago I can't remember it. It's not

Yes, many times. With the inconsistencies from box to box, or within the same box, it's always a crap shoot. Reading reviews and trying out singles might help to a certain degree... but it's in no way a guarantee for a positive experience. Age, blends, and personal tastes are major factors that determine the outcome.

This is the way I've bought most of my CC's. There are several reviewers whose tastes are a lot like mine so I am generally safe in buying a box based on their recommendations. Plus I like a wide variety of cigars so I'm rarely disappointed, and if I don't like a particular stick I know enough guys who want to try anything and everything or whose tastes are different than mine that I can gift or trade sticks I don't care for.

yep....have bought boxes 'cause the price point was right.....reviews helped the selection......and I like the idea of owning the box rather than having a draw full of 'randoms' ......and as we know ....sometimes a cigar is not as good as the one in the box next to it...

When I first started not too long ago, I quickly learned that what others liked didn't necessarily mean I would like it. I have bought many boxes without trying them and overall I've been lucky in that I really enjoyed them.

I'm waiting for two boxes of Diplomatico No 2 from our host, I've never even seen one in irl hehe.

Just based on review from the deck

I recieved a box of Dip 2's blind from Rob ( per his recommendation) They didnt knock my socks off early, they just were not ready to smoke yet. The last one I dryboxed and it was pretty taisty! Cant wait till they have rested for a bit, I think there going to be great?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm waiting for two boxes of Diplomatico No 2 from our host, I've never even seen one in irl hehe.

Just based on review from the deck

I recieved a box of Dip 2's blind from Rob ( per his recommendation) They didnt knock my socks off early, they just were not ready to smoke yet. The last one I dryboxed and it was pretty taisty! Cant wait till they have rested for a bit, I think there going to be great?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Just about every box I have bought was without sampling the cigar first. I used the reviews here to help guide me to cigars I think I would like based on the flavors. That never really let me down.

I have recently noticed that there aren't many that I dislike... Just some that I prefer a bit more.

• Like 4

Being in a land where it's difficult to come across CCs, almost all my box purchases are blind. But with good reviews, I can't go wrong. Even if I don't like it, someone will and I can trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've bought three boxes blind before. I heard a lot of people recommend them, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Monte 2, PSD4, and RASS. Luckily none of them disappointed.

Yes. Both having never tried them and buying blindly at that. I enjoy venturing out to discover a new flavour profile that I haven't experienced yet. That said, I love reading the reviews, but I know that they're very subjective so I take them with a grain of salt and keep my expectations at bay when lighting up the "first" one. lol It's probably the only time l feel safe to gamble too. Picked up Trini Coloniales, SigII's, Connie A's and HURR's without trying and the former two blind and the latter at an LCDH.

Yes, and no, respectively.

Rob's job is to sell us cigars, which doesn't make him wrong by any means, just biased. In addition, our palates may differ.

I don't like to just trust one review, I'd prefer a number to get a consensus.

That being said, I've bought a number of boxes blind. Been mostly lucky :)

Yes,I have made said purchases in the past.

Most have been let downs.

The last four years of purchases have been on Rob's comments.

So far so good.

I frequently buy boxes blind. There's so much variation between sticks that one or two isn't going to tell me anything definitive. I also rely on reviews too and find my 'taste calibration' to be somewhat lighter than what El Pres likes, but when Ken speaks those magic words in a review, "<pause> it's just a lovely, lovely cigar" I hit the 'buy' button. cigar.gif

Less often, I buy 5's and 10's from Duty Free to sample, but their stock is not extensive so it only helps with the mainstream stuff.

• Like 1

What I am not... Someone with deep pockets who can buy on a whim. I buy, on average, a box every 2-4 months.

What I am... Is a passionate student. I've been lucky enough to make a handful of friends in this hobby of ours which has exposed me to various trades and "trades." That's helped expand my knowledge base. Also, I've learned some of the tendencies of the guys around here, and I know whether their tastes are similar to mine. Some of these guys buy boxes very regularly, and if they are raving about something, that helps influence my blind purchase. Actually, a lot of my best BOTL flavor preferences are much different than mine... That has also helped steer me away from things as well. And, like a few folks have said, if I'm not thrilled with a cigar, there is definitely someone who is, so it allows me to exchange sticks with them.

• Like 1