strikes in the factories?

anybody heard of this?

a resident told me that, cuz of the bad harvest and tobacco shortage the rollers weren't allowed to smoke their daily dose for free and had to pay for them. then they apperently started striking.

anybody heard of this?

a resident told me that, cuz of the bad harvest and tobacco shortage the rollers weren't allowed to smoke their daily dose for free and had to pay for them. then they apperently started striking.

Who could blame them ?

What more do they have to loss ?

I'm unfamiliar with the precise legal situation in Cuba, but historically speaking, unemployment and organized labor (outside of official state sanctioned unions) were often illegal in communist states. Regardless, communist regimes do not like to tolerate disobedience, or any sort of activity or organization challenging its monopoly on power.

To answer your question: it's not unreasonable to see strikers being sent to jail or some sort of administrative detention should things escalate. Though of course, that's assuming this report of a labor strike is accurate.

Tobacco shortage? I thought they had 5 years worth of tobacco stockpiled?

thats what HSA says. it not like they would admit to having little tobacco left. they would be the last one to raise the flag about this

My thoughts exactly… this story doesn't make sense.

i agree with you both.

it would be great if anyone had some info

Step 1, release a news story about a strike. Step 2, spread rumours of shortage to spark a mass buy up of stock by consumers. Step 3, ....... Step 4, Profit!!!!

• Like 3

Blakes, on 01 Jun 2014 - 1:51 PM, said:snapback.png

Tobacco shortage? I thought they had 5 years worth of tobacco stockpiled?

Filler, not wrapper.

Sounds like a good reason to go back to smaller ring gauge cigars!

• Like 2

Interesting news about "shortage" of certain categories of items these days. Beef right now, so headlines read the price of meat is about to "soar". Stocking up on steaks anyone?

Shortage of Single Malt Scotch. McCallan even branding this mystery 3 tired expensive juice with who knows what's in it. Time to stock up on your favorite?

A while back, pending discontinue of LGC, Trinidad and San Cristobal.. Better stock up!

Now a potential strike. Plenty of filler but no wrapper...

A pattern in these items for the same consumer perhaps?

• Like 1

…I did stock up!

Diplo 1's, GdE, Monte 1 Esp, SdC… any PC I could get my hands on, Punch SS and RS… What the hell is worth stocking up on now???

Yeah… Like they are going to run out of Monte 2's!!! The damn a-holes would just start wrapping the cigars with binders instead and give the consumer the finger!

UP YOURS Tabacuba…

-the Pig

• Like 3

Did a little research (very little)

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=97506

If the average salary is about $20 US a month, including surgeons and street sweepers, a strike is not exactly going to help you big time. Folks will line up for unskilled labour to replace you. Later on in the article, it says pay increases do not keep up with inflation of basic household necessities.

In the Michael Moore movie about health care, when they all end up in Cuba and appear to be treated like royalty at the hospital, I wonder what happened to local patients when the cameras stopped rolling?

If the average salary is about $20 US a month, including surgeons and street sweepers, a strike is not exactly going to help you big time. Folks will line up for unskilled labour to replace you.

Unskilled labour? Torcedors? And do you realize that in Cuba the right to strike is not mentioned in the Constitution?