Walking and Smoking?

The only time I walk and smoke is in NYC (so few places to smoke, and who stands still in the city?),

but most often I am sitting down, yet moving - about 65mph in my car.

(it took about 2 weeks to figure out the perfect window open/climate control setting,

the only reason I have not gotten a new car and my Audi has 200,000 miles)

Like Rob, I also love smoking while fishing, either in the boat or surf fishing with a Quint.

I do find sitting still gets you more from the cigar.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a habitual hammock smoker Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic Adam and as I 1) live in New York City where forward motion is always encouraged and 2) most establishments do not allow smoking which means I spend a fair amount of time walking my cigars

I'm a rocking chair smoker most of the time but when the wife is on a new outfit mission I become a sooky, foot dragging pack mule smoker waiting out the front of boutiques and arcades. I hear what yo

Definitely enjoy a sit down more while smoking...but every so often, the girl and I will take a little stroll and it's nice to have a go to cigar for that occasion. As I agree with others, I wouldn't smoke something that had significant value or complexity but rather something that just added that level of enjoyment to the experience..

Thanks for all the replies guys... Great to hear other opinions on this subject. I think I will do a test with a few small cigars and see the comparison between them while walking/sitting... And if the flavors and experience are dramatically changed at all.

Thanks for the topic. It comes up once in a while and there are certainly mixed opinions, but mostly an acknowledgement walking and smoking may take something away from fully enjoying a cigar. I'm willing to pay that price, because smoking a nice cigar is an inducement for me to going walking or fishing. Walking is less of a task with a cigar to spur me on, and good exercise, too. And I also measure a nice morning's dry fly fishing by the length and quality of my smoke(s), which is a bonus when the fishing is slow.

I can't fish and smoke; can't garden and smoke; can't even walk and smoke. I love a cigar in the car/truck, whether on the highway or a winding road, and I love to sit in the sun in a protected area. The aroma and flavour need to be concentrated without becoming overbearing.

I can't enjoy walking the dogs on leash either. Just too many distractions and smoke in my eyes while picking up.

I would sell my house in a minute if I could find a 2nd level west-facing balcony for cigars.

Closest I get to walking during a cigar is if I'm golfing and then I'm usually in a cart. I much prefer to sit down and relax with it.

I usually stand when smoking given strict laws here in Toronto lol. Sitting is fantastic as the smoke billows and surrounds my face and slowly dissipates into the air (of course that's on a nice relatively sunny and calm day) which I love to experience. As for walking, i've tried that and i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that experiences the accidental inhale here and there. I really thought it was just my rookieness showing lol but if I must or choose to walk, i'll be like most here and pick a cheaper and maybe shorter smoke.

A couple of months ago I had to dog sit my gf's gigantic boxer/rotti mix for a few weeks (not neutered) and though i'd manage to finish the smoke most of the time, it was hard to enjoy becuase either her dog kept pulling or I had to juggle a bag of dump, a leash, and a cigar, until I found a trash to through the doggybag in lol.

So much of the experience is smelling the smoke, I feel like losing that, I'm losing half of the flavor. I can do it, and I've had enjoyable walks while smoking, but very few enjoyable smokes while walking.

I know I don't enjoy my cigars as much when I'm walking my dog. I've determined that it's because my mind wanders to much away from the cigar. I'm worried about him dropping a duece in the wrong yard, or another dog coming out that's not friendly, or watching for cars. There are way to many distractions for me to concentrate on the flavors of my cigar.

• Like 1

The only walking I do while smoking a cigar is from my back yard to the porch in front of my house....which is about 30 seconds. I find it difficult to enjoy a cigar while walking.

I always smoke cigars when I play golf, and I walk the course 95% of the time. I also smoke a cigar when I have a chance to take a morning or evening walk.

That said, I have "golf course/walking" cigars, and I have "sit on the deck and relax" cigars. Only smoke NCs on the golf course, and small cigars (Party Shorts/Boli PCs/etc) when walking.

As others have contributed, walking or golfing distracts me from the finer qualities of a cigar. So rather than miss out on fully experiencing a Siglo VI or a Boli GM, I'll save those when I can devote my full attention to them.

It takes me at least an hour to smoke a minuto, so I don't really smoke cigars while walking. However, I love to light a cigar and work on my boat. Yeah, I don't pay all that much attention to the cigar, but the good ones jump up and get themselves noticed. I mean, who wants to spend a couple hours paying attention to a cigar that doesn't deserve it?

Live by this:

Cigars are meant to be enjoyed. They are meant to be savoured in a relaxed atmosphere. They're a commodity.

That means that if i have somewhere to be, i'm not going to be smoking a cigar. But i wouldn't mind strolling in the park with the cigar. However. Even a light stroll to a destination is invalid for me because of the fact that there IS a destination. That's the aspect that i keep in mind.

• Like 1

Aroma is half the smoking experience for me. If I can't smell the aromas coming off of my cigar, I can't taste everything I should. Try sitting in a cigar shop while a bunch of people are smoking Acids and other NC's. How well can you enjoy your own cigar? I like to smoke indoors if the area is well ventilated w/o other smokers filling the room... or outdoors where the area is sheltered and w/o wind. I will never light up a really good cigar outside in the wind.... or if I'm not able to sit and enjoy it. Walking and smoking is fine, but not the ideal experience.

I don't enjoy the cigar as much when I'm on a walk. I'm a new father and since it's spring time my wife is on a baby stroller walking spree. It's messing up my routine.

I much prefer to sit down and watch the world go by. Having said that, there are some situations where I prefer to walk. If it is a bit chilly outside, I find that a walk can keep me warm enough to enjoy myself. If it is a really high nicotine stick (some of the NCs that I've got fall into this category), the physical activity can help keep me from being affected as much. Also, sometimes its nice to take the dog for a nice long walk, and smoke at the same time. Otherwise, I plop myself in a chair and enjoy the sunshine!

Interesting topic! I do enjoy walking while smoking but only around a small area in the garden but not much around the city or anything!

A study was release today stating that we are 60% more creative while walking so might explain why i find writing Cigar reviews easier when walking around and not just sitting!!

Interesting topic! I do enjoy walking while smoking but only around a small area in the garden but not much around the city or anything!

A study was release today stating that we are 60% more creative while walking so might explain why i find writing Cigar reviews easier when walking around and not just sitting!!

This is great to see a variety of experiences especially considering the short walking that helps you to write reviews!

It seems like there is a wider consensus on the pace, setting, and personal inquiry within the flavor combos. I can understand how shorter walks that are low paced can help to influence a better experience. I have gone on short little steps around my backyard pond while stopping and taking in the atmosphere and have found this to be much more pleasant than more stressful walks throughout the city!

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful contributions. Still getting over the last leg of a sinus infection type thing but after that I will try out an impromptu experiment to test this idea further!

• Like 1