Cuban Cigar Website Collection Management Feature

Alex, how does the edit feature work? I want to edit the "date acquired" field.

In the ''actions'' column click on the square box and a window opens up. ok.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As some of you may have noticed I’ve been adding a collection management feature to CCW over the last couple of weeks. The basic site remains more or less unchanged, but you now have an option to reg

A iPhone app has been developed....it just has to have the Collection Management Feature added to it.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Uptake has been really great - over 100 of you have signed up, and added more than 1000 boxes to the system. By far the most requested feature was an edit functio

Date Acquired is now editable on all screens, and a new link has been added to the top of the collection screen that will generate an export of your collection. The format is .CSV - comma separated text, basically. This opens in Excel and seemed like it would be the best choice to offer maximum compatibility for everyone. I'm not sure exactly what it is that everyone plans to do with this export file, so please contact me if it doesn't fulfil your needs in some way.

Thanks again for your interest and support, everybody.

Date Acquired is now editable on all screens, and a new link has been added to the top of the collection screen that will generate an export of your collection. The format is .CSV - comma separated text, basically. This opens in Excel and seemed like it would be the best choice to offer maximum compatibility for everyone. I'm not sure exactly what it is that everyone plans to do with this export file, so please contact me if it doesn't fulfil your needs in some way.

Thanks again for your interest and support, everybody.

Thank you, Alex! This is a great feature and makes a great website even better.

I'm just going to check it out but otherwise the site is the holy bible of cubans for many years now for me.

Thanks all your time and effort you already put in that.

Love the site! And now with all the new gadgets, I'll be visiting even more. Thank you for all your hard work Alex, which in turn makes our lives a lil easier! :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well I have to say any excuse to play with the cigar collection is a great excuse...so I dug into the large cooler this weekend and went through the entire stash to add it to the website! I have to say everything rocks. Figured out how to add it all, edit some, and track it. Might have to go through the other humis this weekend and add them as well then re-organize the stash. Once I get all of the cigars in it, I will try out the Download to CSV file feature and see how that is so I can keep the info backed up in my cigar spreadsheet!

Thanks again so much. I just love CCW!!!

Love it. A great addition to an already great site. Maybe I'm alone but I also keep pricing and source information in my spreadsheet. Not sure if there is a good reason to exclude this information but it's key for me.

That would be awesome. Maybe just in a free text "remark" field?

Love it. A great addition to an already great site. Maybe I'm alone but I also keep pricing and source information in my spreadsheet. Not sure if there is a good reason to exclude this information but it's key for me.

It was my original intention that this sort of information be kept in the notes field, but it's an interesting idea, as it might eventually allow me to produce some statistics on worldwide prices etc, as well as allow things like sorting your collection by price or source... how would you envision them working? Both free text fields?

• Like 1

I keep acquisition data in the notes field. Works well where it is I think.

Thanks so much guys this feature is really great. Best management system ever!!!!

What are the plans for mobile apps?

Hi Alex, Love the new feature. Question: will we be able to see some sort of overall rating scale/data that we give each cigar over a period of time? That'd be cool, but rating cigars presently (at least from our perspective) seems kind of redundant.

Love it..used it last night. Although I noticed it's been adding cigars to my collection all on its own. And good ones too!! Lol. Only wish that was reality. :)

Ghabanos, on 18 Mar 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm very bad at searching. Can someone tell me what the app name is please?

The app has not yet been released.

Alex has done the initial app but has to add the management feature to it.

This will probably not be done until the website management feature is fine-tuned and any bugs sorted.

Unlike myself, Alex has to hold down a full-time job as well as maintaining and developing the website. Plus, up to recently, he has also been helping me out on another project I have started (non-cigar related).

He is doing a truly magnificent job.

Knilas, on 19 Mar 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

Although I noticed it's been adding cigars to my collection all on its own. And good ones too!! Lol. Only wish that was reality. smile.png

Can you PM Alex with a few details of the added cigars?

Can you PM Alex with a few details of the added cigars?

Dip 5..and a bunch of behind 52's. May have been a couple others too. Will look it over again tonite , then pm him.

It was my original intention that this sort of information be kept in the notes field, but it's an interesting idea, as it might eventually allow me to produce some statistics on worldwide prices etc, as well as allow things like sorting your collection by price or source... how would you envision them working? Both free text fields?

The price (per stick, I suppose) could be a numerical field. The source could be a free text field, for simplicities sake.

Hi Alex, Love the new feature. Question: will we be able to see some sort of overall rating scale/data that we give each cigar over a period of time? That'd be cool, but rating cigars presently (at least from our perspective) seems kind of redundant.

Yes, at some point I'll add the ratings to the smoking diary so that you can see them for yourself, and add an internal search so you can see how your ratings vary for a specific cigar and whatnot.

A lot further down the track I'd like to use the collated data from all the reviews on the site to establish consensus on the characteristics of different cigars.

This will probably not be done until the website management feature is fine-tuned and any bugs sorted.

I've been promising an iPhone app for at least three years now.

When Trev and I first discussed my taking over the site, I outlined a few different ideas for things I'd like to add to it - this collection management stuff was on there, but the first order of business was the iPhone app. I spent a few weeks on it at the end of 2012, however, it was ultimately rejected from the app store because they felt that it "wasn't interactive enough." Basically, it allowed you to do what the site did at the time, which was browse an encyclopaedia - there was no way to do anything with the data, and it didn't really offer any advantage over just visiting the site in the phone's browser.

With this collection management stuff now in place, I imagine that I could make the app sufficiently interactive, and once this stuff is locked down I'll take another look at it. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

There is an API that I built for the iPhone that could also be used by Android or Windows Phone or any number of things if any other developers would like to take a crack at something. PM me to discuss.

Love it..used it last night. Although I noticed it's been adding cigars to my collection all on its own. And good ones too!! Lol. Only wish that was reality. smile.png

Yes, please PM so we can figure it out. Not sure how something like this would happen. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

• Like 1

What a great initiative from one of my fav websites. Well done Alex!

A few suggestions if any of these gains traction with others:

1. Collection page - a dedicated field for cost per box and also cost per stick.

2. Smoking Diary page - a dedicated field for date smoked (rather than the date that data is recorded), and overall score showing in the smoking diary summary page,

3.If possible to split overall collection into sub collections (ie long aged stock hidden away vs smoking stock, vs stock offsite such as in OLH).

Unlike myself, Alex has to hold down a full-time job as well as maintaining and developing the website. Plus, up to recently, he has also been helping me out on another project I have started (non-cigar related).

He is doing a truly magnificent job.

Very cool. I'm just too excited so I skipped the part about my appreciation of what both you and Alex have done and continue to do for this community. I'll be on the lookout for the app

Alex! Keep up the good work man...