Cuban Cigar Website Collection Management Feature

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As some of you may have noticed I’ve been adding a collection management feature to CCW over the last couple of weeks. The basic site remains more or less unchanged, but you now have an option to reg

A iPhone app has been developed....it just has to have the Collection Management Feature added to it.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Uptake has been really great - over 100 of you have signed up, and added more than 1000 boxes to the system. By far the most requested feature was an edit functio

Very cool work Alex! I am loving it so far!

Is there a possibility of adding a manual entry for cigars not in the database?

I carry many many custom rolled Cuban cigars, and would love to keep track of those as well some how

1. Collection page - a dedicated field for cost per box and also cost per stick.

2. Smoking Diary page - a dedicated field for date smoked (rather than the date that data is recorded), and overall score showing in the smoking diary summary page

1. You're the second person to suggest this. I quite like it because of it's potential for tracking market prices of different cigars, aged boxes and so on, but I haven't figured out how it would work with different currencies, per-stick vs per-box etc, and whether it's worth the extra complication it would add to the form. Under consideration.

2. I've just uploaded an update which adds the ability to change the date smoked, and adds the overall rating to the summary. You can also now click on the entry in the Smoking Diary to bring up a window with your comments and the full ratings.

Also it'd be great if you changed the date format from Middle-endian to Little-endian as the USA are the only country on the planet to use that system, and y'know, they... well... lookaround.gif

I've changed the dates to day - month - year with the months spelled out rather than just a number. Hopefully this should be understandable to all. If not then I guess I'll have to add an ability to set your date format preference on sign-up.

Is there a possibility of adding a manual entry for cigars not in the database?

I carry many many custom rolled Cuban cigars, and would love to keep track of those as well some how

This has been suggested before, and I can definitely see the merit in it (I have quite a few customs myself), however, it's pretty messy with our current system (I'm sure Trev will agree with me that the current backend form we use to update the database is definitely not simple or user friendly). I'm thinking about the best way to do it and will probably add it at some point, but unlikely in the short term.

Kinda silly question but can u allow members to be friends and friends to share their collection?

Not sure if ppl want to share but I'm just nosey and want to see others naked collection. Lol

This was definitely something I thought about when designing the system, so it's pretty easy to implement, and there are certain cool things you could do with it beyond allowing people to brag (like facilitating trades). The main obstacle at the moment is that I'm not sure where to put the menu link.

Will probably be added in the short to medium term.

Not sure if this has been suggested, but I think it be easier if your collection opened up in a separate window.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Alex,

Great reference site.

The integration for the collection is genius.

Adding is simple and efficient.

Wondering:

Once a stick/box is exhausted ( quantity goes to zero) it is deleted from the "collection".

Would it be possible to keep = from a reference purpose.

Smoked "x" with "date code"?

ATGroom, on 24 Mar 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:ATGroom, on 24 Mar 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:ATGroom, on 24 Mar 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

This has been suggested before, and I can definitely see the merit in it (I have quite a few customs myself), however, it's pretty messy with our current system (I'm sure Trev will agree with me that the current backend form we use to update the database is definitely not simple or user friendly). I'm thinking about the best way to do it and will probably add it at some point, but unlikely in the short term.

The real problem here was my initial version of CCW.

It was set up by me as a simple .html (or static) website....that is, information was just typed into a page (similar to using Word) and the page just uploaded to a website. Amendments were then made to each page as required.

When Alex became involved and commenced development of the database version (basically dynamic .aspx pages) its implementation was, by necessity, somewhat of a bit-by-bit approach...so we ender up with a combination of Static & Dynamic pages.

Alex (as well as developing the Cigar Management feature) has now upgraded the whole site to .aspx pages, improved website security, and improved its use on mobile platforms. Unfortunately it is still encumbered with the some-what cumbersome "back-end".

Ideally the initial website should have been professionally setup before I ever started.......however the amount of work required and cost involved would certainly have meant that the CCW would probably never have existed.

Notwithstanding that, given that Alex holds down a full-time job, it is amazing what he has achieved to date.

Well done Alex. ok.gif

• Like 2

The real problem here was my initial version of CCW.

It was set up be me as a simple .html (or static) website....that is, information was just typed into a page (similar to using Word) and the page just uploaded to a website. Amendments were then made to each page as required.

When Alex become involved and commenced development of the database version (basically dynamic .aspx pages) its implementation was, by necessity, somewhat of a bit-by-bit approach...so we ender up with a combination of Static & Dynamic pages.

Alex (as well as developing the Cigar Management feature) has now upgraded the whole site to .aspx pages, improved website security, and improved its use on mobile platforms. Unfortunately it is still encumbered with the some-what cumbersome "back-end".

Ideally the initial website should have been professionally setup before I ever started.......however the amount of work required and cost involved would certainly have meant that the CCW would probably never have existed.

Notwithstanding that, given that Alex holds down a full-time job, it is amazing what he has achieved to date.

Well done Alex. ok.gif

Hear hear. Thank you both so much for your ongoing efforts

• Like 1

It was my original intention that this sort of information be kept in the notes field, but it's an interesting idea, as it might eventually allow me to produce some statistics on worldwide prices etc, as well as allow things like sorting your collection by price or source... how would you envision them working? Both free text fields?

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on in a few days.

The notes section works but it would be better to have separate fields and the ability to total the data. I like to know source, price paid per stick, total value of the box (what's left) and what I paid for the whole box. I also like to calculate how many total sticks I have as well as the total value of my stash (maybe the total value could be optional in order to spare a few heart attacks :D ). The original price paid for the box is redundant but it's a nice quick reference I use to evaluate deals and for valuing aged boxes.

I love the idea of compiling all of this data into useful stats. Keep up the good work.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for always keeping alive this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Like the new look and features, thanks !clap.gif

As some of you have noticed, I've added a couple of things in the last few days. The most noticeable will be the re-skin of the site - if things look funny you might have to press Ctrl-F5 to reload the CSS.

The main feature change though is that you can now add each other as friends. When you're logged in a "Friends" link will appear under the normal collection management links - from this screen you can add a friend by entering the email they used to sign up to the site, after which they will see a link to accept or reject you in their Friends screen.

Once they've accepted you, you will be able to look at each other's Collections, Wishlists, and Smoking Diaries from links in the Friends screen.

I see this as a useful tool in facilitating trades, finding rare cigars and bragging, although you guys might be able to find some other use for it. If anyone would like to add me my email address is [email protected].

As always thanks for your support and feel free to suggest any new features in this thread or by PMing or emailing me.

• Like 2

As some of you have noticed, I've added a couple of things in the last few days. The most noticeable will be the re-skin of the site - if things look funny you might have to press Ctrl-F5 to reload the CSS.

The main feature change though is that you can now add each other as friends. When you're logged in a "Friends" link will appear under the normal collection management links - from this screen you can add a friend by entering the email they used to sign up to the site, after which they will see a link to accept or reject you in their Friends screen.

Once they've accepted you, you will be able to look at each other's Collections, Wishlists, and Smoking Diaries from links in the Friends screen.

I see this as a useful tool in facilitating trades, finding rare cigars and bragging, although you guys might be able to find some other use for it. If anyone would like to add me my email address is [email protected].

As always thanks for your support and feel free to suggest any new features in this thread or by PMing or emailing me.

Hi Alex. Excellent show with the current work on CCW. If my skills were superior to where they currently stand, I would love to take a crack at working with your API. Perhaps someday.

In reference to the Friends function mentioned above I have one question. A few pages ago in this discussion you noted that the email function was somewhat negligible and that members could opt to enter something irrelevant (and perhaps forgettable) into the field at signup. The issue that I see posed by this is that some users may have difficulty adding each other if they did not register with valid email addresses. There is also the possibility of users having forgotten the sign-up email.

Although this could be fixed by the user contacting you personally to have it sorted, to save some time and make it more user-friendly, might I suggest adding a "friend code"? Users could create their own code to substitute the function of using email addresses and then share it with each other.

Just an idea. Brilliant work; thanks for your dedication.

In reference to the Friends function mentioned above I have one question. A few pages ago in this discussion you noted that the email function was somewhat negligible and that members could opt to enter something irrelevant (and perhaps forgettable) into the field at signup. The issue that I see posed by this is that some users may have difficulty adding each other if they did not register with valid email addresses. There is also the possibility of users having forgotten the sign-up email.

Although the email you use doesn't have to be valid, you do still need to know what email you used in order to log in, so I would think that everyone who is using it should know their address... currently though you really have to coordinate with each other outside of CCW before becoming friends. At some point in the future I may build a bit more of a fuzzy "search by name" kind of thing into it.

Please let me know if anyone is having any problems and I'll do my best to improve things.

• 1 month later...

A few updates:

1) I've added the much requested ability to add custom (or I suppose non-Cubanlookaround.gif) cigars to your collections via a new link at the top of the collection page.

2) I've added a "potential trades" screen to the pages available to people who are friends with each other. This will give you a list of items in your friend's collection that appear on your wishlist, and vice versa.

3) A few months old now, but I've never officially announced it: I've started surfacing aggregate ratings for cigars with 5+ smoking diary reviews on the brand pages for people who are logged in. The highest rated cigars are the PSD4 with an average of 4.6, and the Siglo 2 with 4.4. The lowest are the Quai d'Orsay Coronas Claro and the venerable Romeo Churchills - both 2.8.

4) There may be some downtime in the next week or so while we switch servers. Hopefully there will also be a performance improvement after it's done.

Overall, I'm very happy with the uptake of the collection management stuff. In the five months since it launched, about 400 people have signed up and logged almost 100,000 cigars and 1500 reviews into the database.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there an iPhone component to this coming? Love the site for reference but was using Mobile Stogie to track inventory but it does not work anymore due to the upgrade to iOS 8. Looking for a new way to track one phone.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...