How many chances do you realistically give a cigar?

Someone mentioned the Monte 2 in a thread and fonseca in another and it's got me thinking of my own personal battles

I've given fonseca maybe 6 different chances over the past 5 years from different boxes, every one plugged so finally closed that door

Monte 2 I've had maybe 6 or 7 from different boxes over the past 6 or 7 years and again a 0% success rate.

Even a single good example of either cigar would have kept me hunting but with such a failure rate it's got to the point where I be finally closed off caring.

Too many other favourites that are reliable to spend my time on

Honestly it depends on how bad I perceive the first cigar to be. But as a rule of thumb I try everything twice.

Honestly, I'll give It another chance ,But that's about It; If I'm really diappointed, I won't buy another box until a few years .

LEs, REs, Davidoff, Dunhills, aged and rares: all try to get around 2. Then jot notes down and forget they existed

I'm not in the position to get full boxes unless the price, quality, or rarity is outstanding.

Regular productions: I just get 5. Preferably all from different boxes. So singles.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

I'm with Rye. If I have 3 bad ones I'm done with it. I usually try and buy 3 from the same box. However, if someone tells me they are amazing and I just didn't experience it on the first 3, I will go try another just in case that was a crap box.

Honestly, I'll give It another chance ,But that's about It; If I'm really diappointed, I won't buy another box until a few years .

I'm still in University, so buying whole boxes without testing stuff out first doesn't really work for me. As of right now I will not purchase large amounts of ERDM, and RyJ I have tried both and have had to put down every cigar from them I have had. I am just not a fan. Everything else in the Habanos line up sits pretty well with me.

I try to sample before I buy. That means I will reach out to BOTL's to see if they have, say, any good examples of the SLR A I could try to see if I would like them. I trust the guys I trade with, and who generally have a lot more experience than I, to point me in the right direction. If the sample I trade for just doesn't please me then I won't pursue.

I agree with two others. Baseball rules, three strikes and your out with me, but fowl balls does not get them on base with me either. There are other great hitters out there that deserve to be on base with me.

Some cigars I loved from the get go,

with some "under par" experiences later on -

others I did not like at first or, rather, they did not like me -

but I persevered.

Otherwise SLR or Bolivar or Partagas would not exist for me...

It could be a cruel coincidence that just by chance all Fonseca or Monte 2 you tried were plugged

but the true test is if you like the aroma / flavour or not

and even then in some cases it takes time to warm into a profile.

Down the line maybe they will never make it into your list of favourites,

but at least give you an occasional change of pace that one day you might enjoy.

Cheers, Alex

Some cigars I loved from the get go,

with some "under par" experiences later on -

others I did not like at first or, rather, they did not like me -

but I persevered.

Otherwise SLR or Bolivar or Partagas would not exist for me...

It could be a cruel coincidence that just by chance all Fonseca or Monte 2 you tried were plugged

but the true test is if you like the aroma / flavour or not

and even then in some cases it takes time to warm into a profile.

Down the line maybe they will never make it into your list of favourites,

but at least give you an occasional change of pace that one day you might enjoy.

Cheers, Alex

I love the aroma of Fonseca, it's just a pity that I've never once managed to get any smoke out of the head! :D

I used to enjoy Robainas a lot in the late nineties ; then I bought a box five years ago when my eldest daughter was born and they were all plugged... Then last year I worked my way through a box of Unicos which were wihout exception , all dreadful... So : no more Robainas for me.

Depends, if it's a cuaba then zero LOL!!!

There are marcas I gravitate to and those I don't. Construction issues aside, I will try a cigar once and not smoke that vintage again because I'm temperamental. If I hear overwhelmingly positive reviews of a current crop of it I will try again but that's it, too many good cigars to waste my time. I'm trying to maximize my satisfaction ratio, couldn't care less about trying every new stick that comes out, I leave that to others. My other rule is I don't buy boxes of cigars I haven't tried unelss, again, the consensus from people who share a similar palate is that it is a must buy.

I just keep on trying (at least with CC's), particularly with a well regarded cigar. Like the Bolivar Royal Corona that everyone likes. I've been working through a 10 box of tubos that started out tasting like battery acid (pre-light aroma was fine though) and a couple of months later actually started to mellow some in the first half (second half was still nasty though). I could toss the box and buy another, but if the general consensus is positive, then I let the box rest and I retry. A bad experience will stop me from buying more of that marque until I've figured out why the first box was bad.

For cigars that are just off, and not outright turds, I don't hesitate to go again. Like PSD4's and Epi 2's; they're not perfect every time, but when they're off they're just not as good, not outright palate etching evil like my BRC trial. :P

It's funny that so many guys report bad boxes, rather than onesy-twosy bad sticks, since they may all be rolled in the same factory but I don't believe they go, sequentially, together in one box. A box should be made up of sticks from any that match well, no? Anyway, my Boli experience would tend to contradict that assumption . . .

Never had a plugged Monte 2.Never had a plugged torp at all,usually it's the 42 ring and smaller stuff.

Fonseca is probably the cigar I have the least experience with,I get them in trades, but have never bought a box.

Usually 3 strikes, you're out for me.

It does however depend on the parameters of the fault. I don't count mishandling, or more frequent over humidification from the local shops.

Only purchase from reputable known suppliers....

I don't really rule any cigar out as such, it just goes to the back of a very long queue.

Typically since I bought a box - they will go an rest (out of sight out of mind) until I try again.

It's funny that so many guys report bad boxes, rather than onesy-twosy bad sticks, since they may all be rolled in the same factory but I don't believe they go, sequentially, together in one box. A box should be made up of sticks from any that match well, no? Anyway, my Boli experience would tend to contradict that assumption . . .

I'm guessing it to do with the quality of tobacco or the blend they are given that day. If the leaf isn't up to scratch it won't matter, even if you do get a box with cigars made by different rollers.

When I go to a local b&m I will try one or two if they are recommend. If they don't do it for me I'm done and will never try them again.

One the other hand I will be more forgiving with Cubans because they are different fresh then with age and some years are just flat out betters then others.

I am still new (2 years) into this obsession so everything is still open for me. I have had some bad cigars in a box and so I let it sit for 3 months and try it again. Most notably the BBFs I have were not in my wheelhouse initially but now 1 year later they are great.