Monte 2

Why can't these cigars remain consistent. Bought a box about six months ago. The cigars look outstanding but half of them are just flat out awful. Its such a shame because it's one of my favorites but with such crappy quality control I don't think it's worth it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some express them with class, others less so. Should any individual not find utility in selected stock, Don't purchase hand selected stock. How hard is it? S

high demand = high production = rush to fill quotas = inexperienced rollers = using whatever tobacco is available = many sub par boxes. this is the reason i only buy monte 2 myself and havent bought

If I have a choice between buying completely blind - a box which has not been opened since leaving the factory, or having someone with experience, someone who's gone through thousands of boxes help ch

high demand = high production = rush to fill quotas = inexperienced rollers = using whatever tobacco is available = many sub par boxes.

this is the reason i only buy monte 2 myself and havent bought psd4 in years. so many others that are more consistent with less problems.

• Like 3

I bought a box of 10 Monte 2s last year as one of my very first CC buys. I've smoked 5 of them so far and I've only actually finished 2 of them. 2 were plugged and 1 completely fell apart after the first inch and a half. The other 2, though, were phenomenal. A 40% hit rate isn't going to have me running back for more, though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hand pick or if you aren't able to, get someone you trust to pick for you. The cigars with the highest productions always seem to suffer:

D4

Monte (in general) but #2 and #4 in particular, then again all of the numbered line apart from the #5

Siglo 6, coro, esplendidos, lancero

Consistency is indeed a problem in these mass produced cigars. Lately I've been sticking to Especiale #2s for Montes & Corona Especiales for Cohiba. Much higher chance for good quality cigars. No substitute for hand picking, though.

• Like 1

I know what you guys mean last night I smoked one from my PSP batch, flat out awful ! Amazing wrapper great construction. Terrible Draw and the taste was on the level of a Dollar cigar at the local smoke shop. My friend was smoking a Quintero switched to that and it blew my monte 2 away. But then there are the days when everything seems to come together on the cigar and its pure heaven. Just pisses me off because so many of them are duds.

On a side note I have yet to receive a bad HDM epicure # 2. Just flat out amazing cigar

• Like 1

The Monte 2 has always been inconsistent to me. It's too bad because when you find a good one it makes you realize what all the fuss is about. I like the Monte profile overall but I will usually smoke the Petit Edmundo more than any other in that lineup. It has always been a consistent performer me.

Some have mentioned the PSD4 in this thread and I completely agree. If the PSD4 could be as consistent as the Party Short then Habanos would really have something.

When you get a great Monte 2 there is not much better. With mass production its best to habe them hand picked but even that does not guarantee they will be great. Personally for me I buy hand picked PSP boxes from Rob and put them down for 3 to 5 years minimum. So far ever box I got has been much better with some age. Heard the 2013's were smoking well fresh but have not tried.

Agree 100% on the HDM epi 2's, have not had a bad box or cigar yet and smoked through more then I can count in the last 5 years. The 2013 crop has been amazing.

please lets get off this hand picked B.S.. and really call it like it is......

If I have a choice between buying completely blind - a box which has not been opened since leaving the factory, or having someone with experience, someone who's gone through thousands of boxes help choose a box for me, I'll take the latter every time.

You know where to send the kickback, RA......

• Like 3

please lets get off this hand picked B.S.. and really call it like it is. you can have great looking and smelling cigars that are not good or as usual with Habanos the box is a mixed bag of cigars. you can't really determine anything with Habanos until you smoke them and then It is stick to stick on what you get. see I can say this .I have no agenda or business. Blessings !!!

My cigars are all handpicked, and I do not suffer from consistency issues or construction issues. I would say since 2009, I've only had 2 boxes out of MANY, that contained sticks I felt to be inferior in consistency, flavor and construction. That's like 1%, if that.

2009 Party Short dress box

2010 Cohiba Secretos 10 box

As for Monte 2's go. Every box of Monte 2's I've owned or currently own have all been handpicked and at minimum HQ, and I have yet to have a bad , flavorless or inconsistent stick out of 100's.

For me, that's a no-brainer for paying an extra premium for, all day, every day. It may not be for some, but it is for me. Even my boxes of CC's from the 90's and early 2000's don't reflect these "Rampant" inconsistencies.

• Like 3

I pick my own Monte 2s when I can and every 2013 has been really quite good to excellent. Sadly it's only 3 packs (cardboard) at a time but I've probably gone through 3-4 of them all bought at different times. Always pull one out and look at the fill, wrapper and general construction etc but have only been unhappy the one time i recall.

My cigars are all handpicked, and I do not suffer from consistency issues or construction issues. I would say since 2009, I've only had 2 boxes out of MANY, that contained sticks I felt to be inferior in consistency, flavor and construction. That's like 1%, if that.

2009 Party Short dress box

2010 Cohiba Secretos 10 box

As for Monte 2's go. Every box of Monte 2's I've owned or currently own have all been handpicked and at minimum HQ, and I have yet to have a bad , flavorless or inconsistent stick out of 100's.

For me, that's a no-brainer for paying an extra premium for, all day, every day. It may not be for some, but it is for me. Even my boxes of CC's from the 90's and early 2000's don't reflect these "Rampant" inconsistencies.

Ditto

^ That's the greatest post I've ever seen or read on any forum. Time to pack up guys. The Internet was just won!!

Thanks for the work that you do Rob! I haven't had the pleasure of purchasing from you (yet) but I know when I do, that I will have some seasoned eyes picking out my product. Cheers.

• Like 2

Had a monte 2 HQ box go missing in shipping for six months... OZ politely replaced it with another one and all have smoked well from that box... Six months later the original HQ box arrived and after two months in my humidor they too are smoking beautifully....

The czar has the experience, expertise, and god given gift for detail to be trusted with this huge responsibility for multiple customers and for those who turn their nose up and cry "foul" feel free to stay out of my (potential) stash.....

Monte 2's that I've smoked between 1995-1998 (when I had a B&M to go to and handpick my own) would be a 50/50 crapshoot. I got so many plugged sticks but I also had just enough brilliant sticks to keep coming back and never had a bad tasting one.

Now, from 2008-now, I have had more well-constructed smokes that would have no flavor than a plugged unsmokable stick. But that ratio has been 1 out of 10 and I feel that has to do with the fact that all of my Monte 2 boxes have been hand selected by the Czar...

And so we dance....

• Like 1

I didnt mean to start a ***** fest just wanted to share my experiences with FOH. I buy all of my cigars from Rob (hand picked) and will continue too because at the end of the day its the best deal going on the internet. I think the issue with Monte 2 is that there is no way to pick great tasting cigars. Its a factory issue and until they get that fixed this is going to be an issue will all cigars.

But again I have to say Epicure 2 are incredible !