Monte 2

There are cigars blends I have just not enjoyed. I think too many guys come into this thinking they are going to like every cigar they smoke, but that's not the case. The Monte 2 blend just may not be in a lot of people's wheelhouse. If you have smoked less than 10 of these, please don't paint the Monte 2 with a broad brush -- you just don't have the experience to do it. If you have tried to like the Monte 2 and have smoked from multiple boxes from multiple years, then it's most likely not for you.

I have smoked my fair share of Monte 2 from as far back as 2004. In total I have probably smoked 20-25 of them from all different boxes and years. Overall I have enjoyed most and loved 5-8 of them. They usually provide a very creamy woody smoke with white pepper spice. There is something unique about them that I enjoy and some may not appreciate. That being said, I can see where some of you are coming from. Depending on your background with cigars the Mythical Montecristo No. 2 is lauded as the Cuban cigar of Cuban cigars and when it didn't live up to expectations you could be left with a sour taste in your mouth (pun intended). I had this same experience with my first Cuban cigar, which was a Partagas Serie P No. 2. After smoking my first one I questioned if Cuban cigars were that much better than anything else I had smoked in the past.

Fast forward four years and I am full stocked with 98% Cuban cigars in my humidors with zero boxes of Montecristo No. 2. Yes they can be great cigars, but are not what I have chosen to invest in. I have chosen the Upmann 2 over the Monte 2 for the last 3+ years.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some express them with class, others less so. Should any individual not find utility in selected stock, Don't purchase hand selected stock. How hard is it? S

high demand = high production = rush to fill quotas = inexperienced rollers = using whatever tobacco is available = many sub par boxes. this is the reason i only buy monte 2 myself and havent bought

If I have a choice between buying completely blind - a box which has not been opened since leaving the factory, or having someone with experience, someone who's gone through thousands of boxes help ch

Upmann 2 over the Monte 2 for the last 3+ years.

x2

(don't get me wrong, I read mostly what everyone said. But the bottom line -if there is one- would be that ^^)

if I want a consistent smoke of that size that doesn't need ageing, why risk the dud heavy M2s? Just got for the ever so consistent Upmann 2

Or the Dippy 2!! :D

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

I think the monte 2 is also a unique cigar in the marca. Nothing comes close to the big, take no prisoners body and blend of it. EG monte #3 and Especial #2 are some of my favourite and most smoked cigars but the Monte 2 is almost like a marca unto itself compared to the rest of the marca imo.

If you love everything Montecristo, it's still reasonable to me to find the Monte 2 utterly not to your tastes and vice versa

On Rob's point, there is nothing I love more than giving a cigar to a mate and him being caught off guard on how good it is.

Re: orion, monte blend just isn't for me though I still enjoy the ones I smoke here and there, just not thoroughly

I think the popularity of the monte 2 is its broad overlapping profile that pleases many and is approachable (I am guessing since I've only had maybe 10). I could be wrong though LOL.

Every Time I wanted someone to enjoy their first cigar I reach to a Monte, I could go for something consistent but I want the full experience a cuban cigar can deliver, and Monte Cristo delivers that.

That being said, if you want consistency, go for cigarettes, they are consistent, tobacco that has humidity, variable storage and relies heavily on blending and fermentation cannot give you the consistency you require.

If you want to reduce the chance of disappointment go for handpicked , be it you own if you have done so many times and know what to look for or a trusted advisor.

Now, seeing we are at a forum hosted by such an advisor, you can have him pick up an HQ box, store it for 6 months and try it.

If that fails, there is always the trade section.

Last year I was in Vegas walked out on my balcony and lit up a Monte 2. It might have been the best cigar that I had ever smoked. I can't even describe the creaminess of the cigar. It was truly a great experience ! I have been there so I know what cigar smokers mean when they say a monte 2 is on. My only issue is out of box of 25 you might get 6 or 7 that are dead on and the rest are just placeholders. I have said this before I will always buy from Rob simply because I want an expert opinion when spending thousands on cigars. But in the end there in no way in hell to predict the taste of a cigar without sparking it up.

Talking about consistency :

Monte 4

epicure 2

Juan Lopez 2

RASS

Everyone of these cigars is dead on. You know when you light it up what you are going to get.

Risky

Partagas D4 I would say 90 percent are good... Still a great buy

Monte 2 is a pure crap shoot.

Talking about consistency :

Monte 4

epicure 2

Juan Lopez 2

RASS

Everyone of these cigars is dead on. You know when you light it up what you are going to get.

Interesting. Not sure I've ever seen that said about the Monte 4. Consistant?

Mmm...90's Monte #2...stuff of legend. '03 KMM are pretty good. Havent had one that's had that very weird, vortex like perfumy profile since then.

Monte Double Edmundo comes close. The Gran Reserva has this, although maybe 1 out of 8 in the sample set.

Monte 2's of the 90's were amazing even mind blowing. Was the first Cuban cigars that I consistently smoked and could not get enough. Grabbed 6 or 7 PSP boxes from 08 that have been lights outs not a bad stick in the bunch thus far. Stayed away the last 4 years but smoked a few 13's and they have been impressive. Guess I have been lucky overall with the Monte 2's or at least stayed away in the down runs.

Monte 4's for me have been much more inconsistent. Have had some real dog rockets. Not sure if true but I thought I read somewhere it was the most produced CC each year.

Love the Upmann 2's, have been buying those the last 5 years and they have been very consistent.

Mmm...90's Monte #2...stuff of legend. '03 KMM are pretty good. Havent had one that's had that very weird, vortex like perfumy profile since then.

Monte Double Edmundo comes close. The Gran Reserva has this, although maybe 1 out of 8 in the sample set.

I want to know what Double Edmundos you are smoking, Marc - surely can't be the dog rockets everybody in Germany (including me) had...