Bin em or keep em?

An interesting topic that me and the missus are at a stand-off currently. She's a thrower and I'm a keeper. I just can't imagine its time to thow out (sell or gift) DVDs/CDs. Growing up in the 80s/90s the cd collection pretty much defined life.

Interesting article.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/real-life/throwing-out-your-cds-and-dvds-is-it-time-20140206-323a0.html

So Bin em or keep em?

If you've got the time, and the inclination, FLAC (or MP3 them, if you're not fussed about archiving and quality) them and then store them away. I've got my CD collection pretty much all FLACed on my home server.

I got rid of the plastic cases and have the CDs in those big CD binders, or in bins in storage. Like you, I just can't stand the thought of throwing them out, or selling, or gifting them...I could donate them to my local library but I'm just too selfish for that.

E

keep em. definitely keep em.

i still buy CDs, VHSs, and vinyls. vinyls because pink floyd sounds 10x better on them and CDs/VHSs because they're cheap! also nice to actually own the damn hard copies. but hey, call me old fashioned.

still enjoy my AC/DC discography with all that band trivia on them. never really listen to them anymore, but i do like looking at them

Timely post for me. Just yesterday I took 300+ CDs to my daughter in law to dig through and save her favs, the rest are going to a charity thriftshop. Now I keep around 3500 songs on a IPod, keep another IPod as a spare, and have all backed up on a seperate hard drive. The audio quality ain't the best, but neither are my ears anymore and working from home, I listen to music all day everyday and the convienience of setting it on random shuffle and having it play non stop for 2 1/2 weeks can't be beat.

I would digitise every thing then store them away that's what I am in the process of doing ATM ,kep them just in case you have to redo it LOL

Cheers

I keep my old cd's boxed up with a walkman and other cd player. I just thought of going through old media my grandparents had back from the day. Figured maybe someday my kids will get a thrill going through and finding my old 80's hair band music, 90's grunge and discotek from Germany.

I'm beginning the process of ripping all my CDs. Just bought an ipod I'm gonna put them all on and dock it on my stereo.

I still buy and keep CDs, but for me part of the beauty of the pod (or generic mp3 player :-) is that you can run it through your home system, have different playlists, random play etc.

Since getting married five years ago I've gradually sold off all but a handful of my vinyl and c.d.s. never once regretted it.

I did subscribe to spotify premium for a while but the free version allows you to play what you want, with a few ads chucked in. Mixcloud and YouTube are crammed with good stuff as well.

Before I sold any of it I realised that I was downloading tunes I already owned because it was easier than finding the physical copy!

Maybe you could "slim down" the collection and see if you miss what you sold? That way you'll see whether it's the way forward or not.

Whenever I sell anything I top up the cigar budget!

When the zombies come they will likely feed first at cloud storage facilities… I keep all my stuff, even laser disks (unfortunately). I don't trust computers for long term anything so a hard copy is a must for me. If I were to blind sample from cd's vs. mp3's I doubt I could hear the difference any longer, I am more picky about how well the music was mixed and compressed in the first place. Since I listen to most music in the car, I put a 1000 songs on a thumb drive and stick it into one of my car stereos.

I like to rip my dvd's down to .m4v and I load them on a HDD so my wife can push buttons to find the movie she wants instead of sifting though a cabinet of DVD's. The quality is not as good, but when you are watching movies like the Maltese Falcon and My Man Godfrey as we do, the quality issue is of lesser importance. Most of the newer movies compress to less than 2GB and you can store a lot of movies this way. The quality is similar to streaming movies but since I can put them in folders like "James Bond" and "Westerns" Lady Piggy can find them more easily than on Netflix.