worldwide duties and taxes

This is for Alberta:

Cost of Stick A (including shipping) * 1.67 (Federal Tax) = B. B * 1.3 = Taxable price C. C + 103% (Alberta Provincial taxes to a maximum of $6.27) = sales price D.

So if we assume a $5 US MSRP on a stick. $5 * 1.67 = $8.35 * 1.3 = $10.86 (taxable price) + 103% ($6.27) = $16.86 (sales price).

So receiver owes $11.86 (US dollars mind you) per $5 stick that was just assessed.

If the MSRP is $10 then the duties / taxes owing is $17.98.

• Like 1

This is for Alberta:

Cost of Stick A (including shipping) * 1.67 (Federal Tax) = B. B * 1.3 = Taxable price C. C + 103% (Alberta Provincial taxes to a maximum of $6.27) = sales price D.

So if we assume a $5 US MSRP on a stick. $5 * 1.67 = $8.35 * 1.3 = $10.86 (taxable price) + 103% ($6.27) = $16.86 (sales price).

So receiver owes $11.86 (US dollars mind you) per $5 stick that was just assessed.

If the MSRP is $10 then the duties / taxes owing is $17.98.

Oh god, I always know it's that bad but every time I actually see the calculations done it's still hard to stomach.......and it can actually be higher in other provinces thumbsdwn.gif

Oh god, I always know it's that bad but every time I actually see the calculations done it's still hard to stomach.......and it can actually be higher in other provinces thumbsdwn.gif

And if it's done 'after the fact' they don't always follow that formula. I usually just say rule of thumb is add 327% to the MSRP and that's what you could potentially be paying.

None of that takes into account MSRP markup.

I recently saw Bolivar Royal Coronas on the shelf for $42. Opus X were $89.

Generally 455% from landing at the UK docks to hitting the shelves when you add up duties, tax and the H&F markup for being the amazing EMS :|

SHEEEEIIT! Almost cheaper to fly to Havana, bring back or mail yourself a few boxes and enjoy some sun while your at it.

It can depend in the UK as I understand the amount due is based on the weight of the tobacco, So Double Coronas are going incure a higher percentage than say for example a demi tasse. That said its an insane mark up whatever you buy!

In Australia, even if you travelled to Cuba and brought back cigars - you would still pay full duty + GST (tax) on any amount over 50 grams.

0% in the US...just another reason the Govt here is stupid. They could slap a 15-25% wholesale tax on it and increase revenue while not wasting their time confiscating packages of cigars. Not that I am advocating a tax increase, but its money left on the table.

• Like 1

It's this kind of stuff that makes me hope the states never change in this issue. I can get product from the prez for the same price I'd pay for good NCs. It's not even a choice with that economic equation.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm just glad the government use all the tax incomes sensibly on things ! :D

I know that was sarcasm, but I really want to add on to that. Combine 2 angers into one rant:

Those new "social smoking" ads are paid by with OUR money. The money coming directly from these tobacco tariffs.

Those social smoking ads that say if I smoke once or twice a week, I'm an addict. Just like anyone who drinks on Friday and Saturday nights is a dependant alcoholic right?

I wouldn't be as miffed if I was a cigarette smoker as it is a tad more related. But as a cigar smoker, I'm deeply angered by the mere fact that this ad attacks me by definition. Let alone the fact that it is funded by me as well.

Sorry for the terrible 2nd post. But those 'social smoking' ads just really crossed the line with me.

Editor's note: Google: 'social smoking' and 'social earwax picking' if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

• 3 weeks later...