worldwide duties and taxes

All of these quotes make my brain hurt.... That is some seriously manipulative politicking going on by the powers that be in order to get more money out of the working man's pockets....

If they are going to tax tobacco because "it's not good for us" then why don't they tax Big Macs, religion and, well, politicians....?

• Like 1

If they are going to tax tobacco because "it's not good for us" then why don't they tax Big Macs, religion and, well, politicians....?

Its unfortunate that the tobacco industry has been the "Red Headed Step Child" of the world for the last 20 years.

I figure the government has to have something to line their pockets with and people are vocal about "those terrible cigarettes that killed my father" than "my father was an alcoholic/morbidly obese/a hard line Christian/federal politician"

In a way it could be worse. The world is mostly happy to target one Vice at a time and then concentrate on that until the money keeps coming in. Alcohol will be next, followed by high sugar and fat content foods. After that itwill probably be violence in movies and video games. Then they'll go after the gangster rappers and heavy metal bands. Before you know it we'll all be living in a world similar ti what was depicted in the Stallone classic "Demolition Man"

Hopefully I wont live long enough to see it happen...

Last time I had to pay duty & tax here in New Zealand (last month) it was NZ$612 per kg + 15% GST + NZ$25.44 import transaction fee + GST on that fee + NZ$15.33 biosecurity levy + GST on that!