Ugg Boots

I see these horrible looking boots originated in Oz. Just wondering how popular they are there and who wears them. The fad here in the US is rampant. Women pay upwards of 200 dollars and more for a pair of these, and they seem to think they are stylish and a status symbol. I myself cannot see the logic behind owning a pair and glad my wife has no interest in them. Thoughts? Are they popular in your country?

uggs have been around for quite a long time. When I was a teenager decades ago living in southern Cali, us surfers used to wear them as part of our "surfer" attire. They cost about $18 dollars back then and would quickly warm your cold toes as you came out of the cold water, particularly in the winter. It's kind of bizzar watching people pay 2-4 hundred dollars for a pair.

My wife loves them. She has owned them for years, but about 5-7 years ago the manufacturing moved to China from OZ. Since then the boots are a cheap imitations of the old OZ based product. The fur used to be 10X's softer and they were more durable. My son and daughter have them (3 and 1 years old) and I think they run $70-$100 USD a pair.

One of my buddies from AUS that is living in the US told me they are commonly worn down under as slippers... indoors, not as outdoor boots. true/false?

+1

My whole family, including myself, has them for this purpose.

Mine are shin high, and on my feet as soon as I'm in the door in Winter.

For any shoe, and one that qualifies as Aus boots, hard to beat RM Williams. Just recd my first pair earlier in the year... will likely order more and will be hard pressed to wear anything else. They work well with jeans, khakis, a suit... probably wouldn't work with a tux but otherwise they are versatile. Unless they have a patent leather option...

One of my buddies from AUS that is living in the US told me they are commonly worn down under as slippers... indoors, not as outdoor boots. true/false?

Correct !!!!!! Uggs are not for outdoors

My experiences and memories of Ugg boots in Australia is that they were popular in the 80's and worn mostly by 'rednecks' or what we call 'boguns' over here and surfie chicks - usually matched with tight stretch jeans. I think they became popular overseas when some Hollywood celebs like Pam Anderson adopted them in the early 2000's I think. Lately they have seemed to have gained some traction overseas in the states and Europe I reckon due to some smart marketing and increase in quality and styles. We still have a lot of sheep over here so it makes sense to use the wool and it's great that we can actually still export something other than what comes out of the ground. Australia though, is mostly a warm climate continent so I don't see many people wearing them outside, especially as you don't want to get them wet. I think in Australia they are mostly used as slippers during the cold season, especially in Melbourne, Canberra, Tasmania and colder regional areas. Generally, they are both secretly loved and mocked at the same time. *This is merely my opinion. Others may have other experiences. I have never owned a pair but embarrassingly I, like many Aussies, have owned a pair of wool lined moccasins, affectionately known as 'moccos'. But I never dared wear them outside. Now I have slippers and a onesie...doh! peace.gif

Here in Virginia they are popular with middle school girls.

Wilkey

And their mothers too. Like mother like daughter!!!!

I see these horrible looking boots originated in Oz. Just wondering how popular they are there and who wears them. The fad here in the US is rampant. Women pay upwards of 200 dollars and more for a pair of these, and they seem to think they are stylish and a status symbol. I myself cannot see the logic behind owning a pair and glad my wife has no interest in them. Thoughts? Are they popular in your country?

$200...I'm in the wrong bizzo!! You can buy them at woolies (Supermarket) in winter for $10 SMH

I wear/buy them some years...We don't get much winter here in Brisbane though.