Opinion on Bolivar Libertadores?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find HSA productions (written and pictorial) are hilarious. For years I thought John Cleese wrote their material

How could a 54rg cigar resemble a 42rg cigar, even in the same marca? If the GM is a cask strenght non filtered extra peated whisky, the Libertadore is a long drink coming from the same distillery…

Enjoyed another one of these two days ago. Delicious cigar that should age quite nicely. Would definitely consider purchasing more boxes.

Does anyone know the price point (Rob) for OZ retail here in Perth is $60.00 a stick WTF

sorry for mentioning prices etc

• 4 months later...

Smoked one about a month back in Cuba and loved it. Definitely agree with above statements of coffee/coffee ground hints; though I would say it didn't deliver the whole way though. The one I smoked had muted and bland moments.

I've only had the opportunity to smoke one Libertador so far. I remember it had some nice moments and then there were moments that were just blah and kept thinking that I would have enjoyed some of my HQ Bolivar RC's more. So, I figured it wasn't worth the extra coin. I will mention that I recently picked up a few boxes from the Pres' 12:12 deal and am anxiously waiting for delivery to spark another and see if they change my opinion.

I also bought a couple of boxes from Rob (12:12). It was my first purchase from this site. They should arrive any time. I can't wait to try one of these cigars. Although the vitola is larger than I prefer they just look SO GOOD.party.gif

I smoked one in cuba this spring, and it was great razon sharp burn in a 30 km/h wind and on the mild side for Bolivars but a great ageing potential IMHO. Got a few boxes and will be looking for more when I go back...even if I tend to favor the smaller RG

Anyone know if they resemble the Gold Medals? Because the Gold Medals after a couple of years got pretty damned good. Oddly still bitter at the end, but I was smoking that lonsdale pretty quickly.

Anyone know if they resemble the Gold Medals?

How could a 54rg cigar resemble a 42rg cigar, even in the same marca?

If the GM is a cask strenght non filtered extra peated whisky, the Libertadore is a long drink coming from the same distillery…

• Like 2

How could a 54rg cigar resemble a 42rg cigar, even in the same marca?

I was going to crucify you with that question... but when I lined up my points, it's generally clear that they can't. Hmmmmmm. Never thought of that much, actually.

Perhaps that's why the LGC 3s and ERdM Elegants are just radically different from most sticks - even one from their own ages.

Hmmmmmmm...

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

This was my opinion about 9 months ago. Haven't revisited yet.

Construction/burn was good/relighted once

Taste strong leather, coffee and earth, getting stronger throughout the cigar. A heavy stick but not as heavy as a Corona Gigante. Lots of aging potential.

Verdict 7.5/10

Could do with a few more years to marry thew flavors and develop its potential. Buy now, put it away for 5-6 years

I have a box dated Oct 2013. The first I smoked last month wasn't extraordinary. The first two-thirds was marked by being rather mild with little flavor. The last third picked up quite a bit and was enjoyable. I'm going to let them sit for another year before trying the next one. Hopefully they will age and blossom into the spectacular smoke I hear the French ER has become.

Large ring gauge cigars are blended for combustion over any other factors. Large RGs really allow for cigars to be approachable young. Young, the larger RGs - in many cases - will be very pleasant and mild, as the body, richness, and intensity of ligero/seco are diluted by the extra volado combustion. Due to this, most smokers find large RGs to perform well, because the extra volado supports overall combustion as explained above, and can hide the inconsistencies or the intrinsic flaws of subpar tobacco. Improperly blended, or structured with subpar tobacco, the cigars will fall apart after several years and become overly diluted or bland.

• Like 1

Large ring gauge cigars are blended for combustion over any other factors. Large RGs really allow for cigars to be approachable young. Young, the larger RGs - in many cases - will be very pleasant and mild, as the body, richness, and intensity of ligero/seco are diluted by the extra volado combustion. Due to this, most smokers find large RGs to perform well, because the extra volado supports overall combustion as explained above, and can hide the inconsistencies or the intrinsic flaws of subpar tobacco. Improperly blended, or structured with subpar tobacco, the cigars will fall apart after several years and become overly diluted or bland.

What are some large cigars that you have found this to be true with as examples please?

TIA!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have had plenty of these now from at least 6 different boxes.

Consistently very good. Medium (sometimes a touch under) bodied in the main with lovely choc/sweet milk,leather characters. I think they will be stellar in a few years (4-5?). While very enjoyable the flavours are not quite as pronounced now as they will be. hence the time recommendation (a guess).

Overall construction was very good as were wrappers. i believe we sold out earlier this month so others must have found the same enjoyment.