Somebody help me... RASS or PLPC

Picking my wife's Xmas present to me!  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I have really been coveting is something new, maybe something long & skinny and with the emphasis on flavour, not necessarily strength... but when push comes to shove and I'm on a Christmas budget, I'm back to PLPC and RASS at the top of my list.

My RASS experience is a bit limited I admit, so perhaps I'm biased (also grumpy that the box of RASS I currently have almost immediately went into a sick period after I smoked one that was stunning) but my heart is a sucker for anything por larranaga and since the weather is getting colder, short and sweet is the way to go until the spring time....

I have cabs of both. I tend to pull from the PLPC more often. I love the PC vitola, and the flavor profile better suits me. They need some time though. I have 2011s that are just getting ready. I can see them getting much better with another couple years though.

Damn, with what you're looking for, on the same budget, why not a box of HdM Du Gourmet? Great sticks, and still available most places, including here I think

Interesting idea, Rye. My experience with HDM is fairly limited (DCs and Epicure 2). Both are great but somehow a bit too refined to really grab my attention. I'll see if I can find some more reviews.

Cheers!

Well they are both trustworthy smokes from my experience, I tend to lean towards PLPC for consistency. Wouldn't ever buy blind though, because they both have seen some choppy quality over the years. If you already have some of each and want long and skinny In your budget i would say LDC Mdo4 if you can find, PL montecarlos, or QdO Panatelas (still available at few sources)... Those are all in a moderate price range. If I were you I would go for 2 boxes of montecarlos, you can't go wrong with those for the winter time budget and temperature! Great value, flavor and smoke well young. As mentioned earlier, du gourmet is a great one too! Best of luck!

I went the PLPC cause I've found them to be pretty decent ROTT where as freah RASS tend to be a bit hit and miss.

Haven't ordered a cab of PLPC yet though as I'm waiting til after Christmas

I do have a cab of RASS on the way but they'll be in the humi for a long time before they see day light

It depends on what you like. I love the RASS but am apparently blind to the charms of the PLPC. And that is having owned and sampled from cabs going back as far as 2001. I am completely immune to the magic. If you are like me, in the apparent minority, then there is no question. BTW, I ended up selling every PL I owned aside from the Lonsdales and Robustos ER.

Wilkey

^^^^^^X2. RASS any day of the week and three times on Sunday. My Favorite cigar!!! I have smoked through many boxes and they are always fantastic. And they are smokeable ROTT.

It depends on what you like. I love the RASS but am apparently blind to the charms of the PLPC. And that is having owned and sampled from cabs going back as far as 2001. I am completely immune to the magic. If you are like me, in the apparent minority, then there is no question. BTW, I ended up selling every PL I owned aside from the Lonsdales and Robustos ER.

Wilkey

Wlikey - have you tried this?

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Por_Larra|naga#132_Edici|on_Regional_Asia_Pacifico

X2 on QDO panetela, they make lanceros look like NCs

Prove it. fishing.gifwink.png

As the others have said, I think the PLPC might be the better option for long term ageing. I am half way through an '04 cab that is getting better and better, and have an '06 cab that I haven't even looked at for about two years. Just far too tannic when young for me.

I have had far fewer RASS, just a 50 cab from about '02 that was rather tasty at 3 years.

The current PLPCs are KILLER. You used to have to age them 3-5 years to bring out the caramel and sweet flavors that lie within. But the 2012s I've smoked have honestly been better than my 07s and 08s. The RASS are good, but will need some rest IMO. However if you love the RA profile why not go with RASCC? They are smoking perfect ROTT!

^^^^^^X2. RASS any day of the week and three times on Sunday. My Favorite cigar!!! I have smoked through many boxes and they are always fantastic. And they are smokeable ROTT.

x3 RASS!