A week of heaven and hell....

So, it's been an interesting week. One with some of the best highs and worst lows in a long time...

At the start of the week, I had to cancel out my plans for this year's Havana trip in November. Sucks. But, it's just something that can't be done this year now, as I've discussed with the Canadian group. Some financial and work issues. Cancelling - a horrible low.

Yet at the same time, it showed me some of the best outpouring of support that the brotherhood carries. An awesome show of appreciation by these guys. Made me proud and humbled. My continued thanks and appreciation, gents.

In conjunction with discussing the Cuba trip with these guys on Monday, I got some other horrible news.

I've been working for most of the year on trying to get things sorted out with my job, due to financial reasons and cutbacks, to enable something to work out favourably for me and my family. Out of five or six different steps and options, stuff that's taken 9 months to do, I've run up against a brick wall. Then, Monday morning, my last option to get a move back to a base in Ontario (from where I am in Halifax), to enable me to somewhat co-locate with Erin and the kids....I was told it was denied Monday morning. Last option....done.

I took a couple hours to absorb it in. Threw up once. Kept a level head. Didn't strangle anyone. I called Erin to drop the hammer - both of us nearly in tears as she's trying to get the kids ready for the day. Went about my "normal" day at work. Let it settle in more. I'm stuck, losing money every month, over 2200 kilometers away from them with no end in sight, and with us down as a family at least $25k+ a year. Threw up again.

I went and requested the form / paperwork for releasing / leaving / quiting. Surprise and shock from certain people in the office that I would do this. "Well, we don't have any of those forms around right now". F-ing get them...in an hour....NOW.

Suddenly, additional phone calls and e-mails back and forth. Some good news potentially coming down from HQ. By the end of the day...well, maybe there's a place for you in Ontario. Not 100% yet though. On a needle's edge for a few days while all this maybe/maybe-not is going around. Between Monday and Friday, only about 10-1/2 hours sleep total.

In the meantime, I get word that the mortgage / credit card re-fi that Erin and I have been working on since the end of August is finally done and approved, with the amounts that we wanted. Big sigh of relief.

Then....firmed up and on paper by the end of the day on Thursday, and absolutely 100% sorted out and approved by Friday morning.....posted back to Ontario!!!! Started clearing out of Halifax already, finishing up on Monday, and then starting work at the new base after the Thanksgiving weekend!!!! So, from an absolute no, to a transfer back to Ontario, which will put me only about 5 hours away from Erin and the kids. This comes with a bit of a cash outlay / bonus as well, and I'm able to travel home next week, and completely surprise Erin and the kids in a few days.

An amazing week of highs and lows. Capped it off by downing 6 or 7 cans of Strongbow with some guys from work yesterday evening in our club/mess.

Finally slept well last night.....11 hours straight.

I need a cigar now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith,

while I am sure sad and will miss you and your personality in HAV this November in the group, I am certainly happy you have that more important priority solved and out of the way - hell, what more important is there than being with or near the family.

So enjoy the outcome and don't worry, we'll see again in HAV or over here soon enough.

Relax and have a beer and a cigar - you deserve it.

Keith I am also glad that things have worked out for you.

I hope you get to enjoy your cigar this weekend and your family next weekend.

As for the Cuba trip there is always next year.

Peace.

Good for you sir, great for your family

Ive been living apart from the wife since January - I made several trips back and she made one long one here - every day I try to justify why I am here - is it just for the money, etc. So happy things are making a positive turn for you!

Glad things are working out Keith. Keep your head up!

Whilst it sounds cheap and cliche - I'm a firm believer in the belief that "Tough times never last but tough people do."

Keep on keeping on, Keith!