Anyone else sick of cartridge shavers?

I have had it with these cartridge savers one buys from the supermarket! How often have I come home with the wrong freakin' ones, and they are pricy.

So I'm going back to the old Safety Razor of yester-year. Replacing blades as I go.

Down the track I might even give the old straight razor a go....

Your thoughts?

I have had it with these cartridge savers one buys from the supermarket! How often have I come home with the wrong freakin' ones, and they are pricy.

So I'm going back to the old Safety Razor of yester-year. Replacing blades as I go.

Your thoughts?

Feel the same way! I like the 3 blade ones right now which are harder to find.

Last week bought the 5 blade ones bye mistake....cost me $16 for nothing!!

The beard idea may not be bad at all!!!

Your thoughts?

my safety razor that i use on a daily basis was made in the mid 1930s. i think i spend about $70 a year on shaving now. that includes blades, shaving soap, and aftershaves.

look up "mantic59" on youtube. that could help.

Straight razor shaver here, I too got tired of buying replacement cartridges. I've not learned to hone yet, but guess I should buy a stone and learn sometime.

If you like shaving with a straight edge wait till you learn how to hone and strop. It's just as enjoyable as taking the time for a good shave and it's one of my meditative activities.

Moved to an electric couple years back, best decision ever.

Up front cost is more but saves in the long run.

Granted I believe you get a closer shave with a razor, I find the electric to work just fine. Seriously, after a few hours the stubble starts to show either way.

Shave my head with mach three, shave my face with a cut throat. In the last 2 months ive not shaved the face as im growing my anti-malaria beard. Still shave the head though cos im a bald bastard.

I use the cartridges on my head and face. I hate the cost of them, but I just can't get the hang of a safety razor. Granted, it gives a closer shave but I sure do a number on my face in the process. I've heard it's an acquired skill to use one correctly, but apparently I haven't acquired it yet! I do use a badger brush and shaving soap, though. After trying those, I will never go back to a regular shave cream or gel.

Ive always wanted to try the badger brush and soap, I dont think I could handle the straight edge or safety razor. I was on a cruise and they had a barber shop on board and they offered a shave and I thought it would be a straight edge...it was a normal razor like the one I brought with me, they just used the shaving soap...ha!

I picked up my entire shaving set - shaver "cut throat", 1kg shave soap, badger brush and a stack of blades online. I find boiled water and soap just holds better in the badger brush which makes a close and smooth shave when using the single blade.

That's why I grew out my beard

X2.

I've always had a beard but I usually keep it trimmed and clean looking, but I haven't touched it in 2 and a half months seeing how I broke my wrist earlier in the summer and it was hard to keep the beard in check. Now I'm just letting it go until I/the wife get sick of it, but not before my big hunting trip the first week of November!

Shaving your entire face with a straight razor takes a little while to master.

I lost a quite a bit of blood on the journey.

Good luck and you are going to need a styptic pen if you go the straight razor route...