Anyone else sick of cartridge shavers?

About 7 or 8 years ago I bought my father an electric razor for his birthday. He loved it, he's been using an electric razor ever since. It's quite nice for those days your running late. I get him a new one about every other year, this past Christmas we actually got my grandfather one because he liked my fathers so much. Now all the men in my family have them.

Shaving your entire face with a straight razor takes a little while to master.

I lost a quite a bit of blood on the journey.

Good luck and you are going to need a styptic pen if you go the straight razor route...

That's why i used to keep a bit of fluff on my chin. The chin is the hardest part to shave without nicking off some skin on the point of ones chin. The straight is awesome for shaving the cheeks and neck etc though. But yes it requires patience and hand eye coordination. People with the dexterity of hooved animal should not use one.

I use the cartridges on my head and face. I hate the cost of them, but I just can't get the hang of a safety razor. Granted, it gives a closer shave but I sure do a number on my face in the process. I've heard it's an acquired skill to use one correctly, but apparently I haven't acquired it yet! I do use a badger brush and shaving soap, though. After trying those, I will never go back to a regular shave cream or gel.

To be honest its not that hard, granted there's a lot of re-learning to do and time. But once you've find your technique you get best shaves ever. It took me a good a year before i had a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave. There'a lot of videos now online like somebody mentioned Mantic 59.

Straight razor shaver for years and a Geo F Trumper Shaving cream ***** too!

I am most def sick of them. I actually bought a five blade package at a local department store. Five mach3 blades cost me like $15 bucks before tax. What a joke. Does anyone know of any good online sites for buying the DE razors and such?

Here is some of the online stores. I usually buy from west coast shaving but Italian barber has some very good starter packs. I do suggest doing a bit of research first but generally speaking DE shaving has a high cost of entry. A decent starter pack would set you back 80 bucks but this set up should last you a life time barring your consumables ie blades, soap and after shave. Blades are less than 60 cents (feather the more expensive one) a piece, there are many brands that cost lesser than that. For razor you can even get a vintage Gillette works pretty good too and cheap sometimes.

But let me warn you this hobby can get expensive too before you know it. I'm still waiting for all the cost savings that im "supposed" to get from the switch from cartridge to DE. Hahahahaha. Currently my set up i've got 2 razors, 2 brush, 3 soaps and 2 after shaves, and I'm itching to buy another brush. At least im enjoying it nowadays rather than it being a chore previously.

http://www.italianbarber.com/

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

You guys are a weird bunch. Just get really drunk, pass out, and get a mate to wax your face. You'll be smooth for weeks. Worked for a mate who got too drunk one night.... lookaround.gifinnocent.gif

Then again, you could just slather your face with Veet or Nair! jester.gif