Ideal First Cuban

Let's say you met someone who's never had a Cuban before. What would you recommend to them for their first acquisition from the regular (non-special edition, rare, etc.) lines of cigars? Assume size, style, and cost are of no concern.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it depends on what kind of NC cigars they currently are enjoying. There is a big difference in what I would offer someone who smokes full bodied, large ring gauge NC's like Camacho, for example, versus someone who enjoys small ring gauge Davidoff, for example.

For someone used to the NC ligero bombs I might offer them a BBF. For someone who smokes on the milder side I'd offer them a SLR.

I agree with Party short or Monte 2

I actually had this debate last week when I was trying to introduce my buddy to cigars. He never smoked cigars, in fact he hated the smell of it, but I convinced him that it's completely a different experience when you actually smoke one.

I let him try a bunch of cigars, but the one that he liked the most was the Party shorts followed by a monte 5. I figured the Party short would be too full bodied but apparently it wasn't and he really enjoyed it.

Hoyos make great introductions to Havana cigars. The DC and the EPI#1 are great choices.

Thought a lot about this as i've tried to recruit a couple of non cigar smoking friends. I decided to go with the winnies, as they are complex without the being overpowering. Another thought was to go for a longer format, so there there is some smoking time before the nicotine really builds up.

Well as I offered the winnie to a friend recently a little while ago he got intimidated by the size! So we decided for an epi 2, wich made him want to try more cigars

I think it's less about an individual cigar (like a Monte 2, or a HDM Epi 2, or a Partagas D4, etc.), and more about the format.

I think a robusto is great, unless it's one of the more bold / stronger ones (D4, RASS).

But perfect would be a petit corona / corona from just about any marca. A "textbook" cigar, the PC, to introduce just about anyone to Cuban cigars, to get that perfect "image" of taste. A custom corona would perhaps even be better, to emphasize all that a Cuban cigar is about, rather than trying to pigeonhole a brand-name's flavour profile to a first-time cigar.

My 2 cents, anyways.