Ideal First Cuban

I think it's less about an individual cigar (like a Monte 2, or a HDM Epi 2, or a Partagas D4, etc.), and more about the format.

I think a robusto is great, unless it's one of the more bold / stronger ones (D4, RASS).

Excellent perspective. I like your suggestion on format matching.

Another point is serve what you have found to be particularly good/consistent and if possible, let them try more than one.

In Habanos, there really isn't such a thing as the silver bullet. That said, if they don't like either the PSD, RASS, or Partagas Shorts, kick them in the nuts and tell them to stick to CAO Flavours.

Wilkey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent perspective. I like your suggestion on format matching.

Another point is serve what you have found to be particularly good/consistent and if possible, let them try more than one.

In Habanos, there really isn't such a thing as the silver bullet. That said, if they don't like either the PSD, RASS, or Partagas Shorts, kick them in the nuts and tell them to stick to CAO Flavours.

Wilkey

LOL!!!

Looks like we'd better put on our kicking shoes :P

Of course there is such a range of variation, both blend-intended and natural that one might almost be tempted to consider this an impossible task...except that there are so many darned good Habanos!

Wilkey

Let's say you met someone who's never had a Cuban before. What would you recommend to them for their first acquisition from the regular (non-special edition, rare, etc.) lines of cigars? Assume size, style, and cost are of no concern.

It doesn't matter really. They are not going to enjoy it anyway. Speaking from my experience- I fell in love with cigars (Cuban in particular) well before I smoked one. My daughter was going on holidays to Central America, including Cuba and asked what present would I like from her trip. I jovially answered "box of Cubans". So naturally I set at my PC and researched, then watched youtube reviews, etc. By the time she came back I already ordered and received from Rob ten cigar sampler. Did I enjoy smoking them? Not really. But I could not stop reading and learning more about the whole thing about cigars. I was getting more and more hook on even though smoking really did not gave me any "wows!", this came in time, much later- it is acquired taste. But cigars are not just about smoking. There is aura, knowledge, care, companionship, friendship etc. It is a love affair.

I tried giving friends (smokers) cigars to smoke- none liked it.

So my answer to "ideal first Cuban" question is- doesn't matter, they're not going to like it anyway so give them one you not going to smoke yourself.

Someone asked me the same question when I wad in Cuba last year. I reccomended a PSD4. It is the perfect stick. Not too full body and it has a nice medium taste that just screams Cuban cigar!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Let's say you met someone who's never had a Cuban before. What would you recommend to them for their first acquisition from the regular (non-special edition, rare, etc.) lines of cigars? Assume size, style, and cost are of no concern.

La Regla from the Gato Tuerto :P

• 2 weeks later...

Someone asked me the same question when I wad in Cuba last year. I reccomended a PSD4. It is the perfect stick. Not too full body and it has a nice medium taste that just screams Cuban cigar!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

This seems to be the consensus and also one BOTL's do not tire of

I think so often we recommend something that is mild because we don't want to scare someone. For so many people, cuban cigars have a mystique about them. You spend so long building them up in your mind. It's almost going to be impossible to live up to your expectations. I feel like giving someone a "starter" cigar isn't the way to go. I like to give friends something with some serious flavor, so they can see what all the fuss is about. For instance, a Partagas Lusitania. I take the same approach to Scotch. If someone hasn't tried Scotch before, I give them a dram of Talisker 10.

I don't think an inexperienced cigar smoker would know the difference between a good cc and a bad nc. It's a developed taste. To an inexperienced smoker, its just a cigar. I don't waste my cc's on inexperienced smokers. In fact, and I'm really bearing my deep dark soul here, I've switched bands on a nc with a band from a cc, and they never know the difference. In fact, they talk about how great it is.

I'm a really bad person and I feel badly that I've been deceitful. devil2.gif

I would suggest ERDM Choix Supreme or Monte 4 if they don't smoke regularly. Better to have good flavour and medium body than a firecracker. If they smoke NCs then just about any decent Habano should stand up ok. So many good Habanos. Problem is, I'm afflicted with the desire for the perfect (and affordable) Habano.

For inexperienced smokers, I bring out my fakes. nyah.gif

First Cuban cigar I smoked was a CoRo. However, knowing what I know now it probably wasn't even real but boy was it killer. Point being, it really doesn't matter. Besides, looking at the blind cigar tasting no one knows what they're smoking anyway nyah.gif

I don't think an inexperienced cigar smoker would know the difference between a good cc and a bad nc. It's a developed taste. To an inexperienced smoker, its just a cigar. I don't waste my cc's on inexperienced smokers. In fact, and I'm really bearing my deep dark soul here, I've switched bands on a nc with a band from a cc, and they never know the difference. In fact, they talk about how great it is.

I'm a really bad person and I feel badly that I've been deceitful. devil2.gif

Kudos! Great minds think alike.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the suggestion that anything flavorful is good.

Some standouts in my experience:

Hoyo epicure especial from 06

Cohiba esplendido from pre-99

Partagas SD4 from 08

Cohiba siglo ii and vi

Bolivar gold medal 06, 08,09

Bolivar PC

Punch punch from 09

Quai D'Orsay corona

These were all exceptional cigars, all in different ways, with different flavor profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Partagas short if they don't really smoke cigars, but if they do then monte 2

That could have ended the thread right there

Since you say "Assume size, style, and cost are of no concern", you must mean this about a friendship experience, not a cigar teaching one. I would pick two of the same... perhaps one you like and have plenty of, and go for it. The point being, tell your friend it is one you love and you hope he does too.