2005 Vintage?

Guest Robo

Just curious how the 2005 vintage of Cuban cigars is smoking right now...

Anybody have any 2005 Cubans? Was it a good year for Cuban cigars? Are they smoking well now?

Thanks!

Rob peace.gif

Looking at my notes, I have had some good ones and some duds, nothing really stood out to me but my sample selection was only about 8-10 cigars from that year

On a side note, I am looking for a June 2005 box celebrating my daughters bday

Bart

From 2005

Punch DC's

Trini Fundadores

ERDM CS

All smoking very good. No regrets.

Excellent selections. Thanks for the info, Frank.

Rob

short answer, it depends on the cigar

i generally avoid 02-07 unless there is a glowing recommendation like these 05 mag 46s i got which are superb, better than any other vintage m46s i've had

i've had coros and sig ivs from 05/06 that were terrible

Thanks for the responses. In my opinion, when buying cigars there's always a risk. (except if you buy from Rob) At some point you just have to jump in and take the risk. Sometimes it doesn't pay off, I guess, but that shouldn't stop you. From my limited experience when searching for aged cigars it's more of "what's available" rather than seeking out a particular vintage. There's lots of '99-'00 out there but I understand that these vintages are to be avoided. So, I look for cigars that appeal to me (brand, vitola) and hopefully there are some available. I'm lucky (we all are) to have a place like FOH to ask questions, to learn and, in this case, to reduce the risk of buying cigars. I feel a lot more confident with the 2005's, thanks to you! 2thumbs.gif

Rob

Thanks for the responses. In my opinion, when buying cigars there's always a risk. (except if you buy from Rob) At some point you just have to jump in and take the risk. Sometimes it doesn't pay off, I guess, but that shouldn't stop you. From my limited experience when searching for aged cigars it's more of "what's available" rather than seeking out a particular vintage. There's lots of '99-'00 out there but I understand that these vintages are to be avoided. So, I look for cigars that appeal to me (brand, vitola) and hopefully there are some available. I'm lucky (we all are) to have a place like FOH to ask questions, to learn and, in this case, to reduce the risk of buying cigars. I feel a lot more confident with the 2005's, thanks to you! 2thumbs.gif

Rob

talk to the pros: rob, smithy, ken, diana, alaistair, lisa... and staff do cigars all day long.

ask them and they will let you know what you should and should not have... i guess.

To say that 2005 is a "bad year" is folly. There are some great cigars that came out then. I'm enjoying my 2005 Punch DC's and Fundadores very much. Surely, there are some bad sticks to avoid too. And hopefully this thread has/will point them out. Good luck with your search Rob. :ok:

In my experience, neither a particularly good nor bad year. I wouldn't specifically seek out 2005 BDs.

I'd agree here. Nothing special about 2005. If you're looking for good older cigars, try 2002 & early 2003. Otherwise, recent production is fine.

This.

Not to mention that buying based on year is a total crapshoot as it is. My favorite year of the past 13 or so has been 2008, but there are still plenty of duds from there as well....

I couldn't agree more about 2008. I have 2 boxes in the online humidor from 2008 TEB no less. Too bad I can't ship them from Oz anymore.

'05 Mag 46 were duds.

Whilst I find these more "mellow" than recent production, I've very much enjoyed the 05's I've sampled. Different beasts indeed.