Are fake cubans made in cuba better than fake cubans made elsewhere?

Just wanted to stirr a discussion here... I'm asking the question because one of my mules recently made me the beautiful surprise of going off of my list while she was in Cuba and bought me some fake cubans, because it " seemed like a good deal " and the " guy seemed legit".

Anyway, I got these weird Monte 4 that are not even the good size and some RyJ mille fleurs. I gave them a try, they were pretty bad. Smoked about an inch of both before closing the boxes and, oh yes I did, re-sell them on craigs list. For those wondering, they were clearly identified as fake cubans.

Then, a friend of mine came to my place and brought with him glass top cubans from Venezuela, that he also got from a naive mule ( a bad week cigar wise at my place ) . Anyway... The fake cubans from cuba were better than the fakeCubans Venezuelians...( this is getting cunfusing)

Let's put one thing clear, I like my cubans authentic and legit but this experience was quite an interresting one.

Oh, and we dissected the cigars and only found tobacco in the cubans and then, found some wood chips, strings ans other unidentified materials in the Venezuelian.

Anyway, I got these weird Monte 4 that are not even the good size and some RyJ mille fleurs. I gave them a try, they were pretty bad. Smoked about an inch of both before closing the boxes and, oh yes I did, re-sell them on craigs list...

I certainly hope you didn't knowingly sell fakes to another person on Craigslist. I would never think of doing something like that.

I'm not going to be able to sleep until I know if this is a real thing or Jeannick is just messing with us...

We may never hear from him again. Not cool if you sold those fakes as legit.

Personally I feel like fakes are fakes, nothing more. No need in judging the varieties of fakes because at the end of the day they aren't what any of us want to be smoking.

And I think just because it's Cuban tobacco doesn't make it a better fake.

Yikes

We may never hear from him again. Not cool if you sold those fakes as legit.

I feel like this an inside joke with someone or... AHHHHHHHHH the suspense is killing me.

Agreed, Frank.

And personally, I don't think re-selling fakes as legit on Craigslist is any better or worse than just simply re-selling fakes...period. IMO, it only leads to the proliferation of that market worldwide, and it potentially leads to a scam deal somewhere down the line for a current / future BOTL/SOTL.

Not cool, either way, IMO.

And agreed....I hope it's just a tongue-in-cheek joke as well.

Fake = fake. Is a $3 bill printed in the US worth more than one printed off shore?

As far as the CL resell is concerned, I have no problem if he listed/sold them as "fake Cuban cigars". Even "genuine counterfeit Cuban's" would be OK in my book.

No, seriously, I Really sold them as fakes. I think I got at least 10 emails of people interrested because they were so cheap. I wouldn't dare selling fake cubans and saying that they are the real stuff.

There's a market for fake cigars labelled as fake cigars? At some point, things will stop surprising me, I suppose. The world is a strange place.

Pedromo make a line of cigars called Counterfeit Cubans.

The cigar has a band that looks like a small cuban warranty seal with a big red counterfeit stamped across it. The higher end sticks in that line has a secondary band that says Edition Limitada 1958.

No, seriously, I Really sold them as fakes. I think I got at least 10 emails of people interrested because they were so cheap. I wouldn't dare selling fake cubans and saying that they are the real stuff.

You just saved a lot of lives on here with this reply.

this is a stupid thing to do,how do you know the people who got them do not resale them?

Fake is fake and why sell them? Not sure anyone will be willing to trade with you now. I know I wouldn't.

He listed them as fake. Nothing underhanded about that. A bit presumptive to think he trades fake Cubans.

Just wanted to stirr a discussion here... I'm asking the question because one of my mules recently made me the beautiful surprise of going off of my list while she was in Cuba and bought me some fake cubans, because it " seemed like a good deal " and the " guy seemed legit".

Does your lady friend know that you refer to her as your "mule"? peace.giflmao.gif

What a bunch of drama queens. The OP clearly stated that he listed them as fakes on CL. What's the big deal if someone decided to buy them knowing fully well that they are fakes ?? As for the purchaser on selling them as legit.....it's buyer beware. Anyone who knows anything about cigars knows not to trust the legitimacy of cigars sold on Craigslist. Besides, the guy that bought them probably just wanted some cheap sticks for a poker night. Sheesh.....I wonder how many of you would knowingly pass on a counterfeit $100 bill if one found its way into your wallets ? I'm not saying its right but I'm sure very few would drop it off at the nearest police station or just toss it in the trash. Anyway, I'm off topic as the OP didn't do anything like that....he sold an item he clearly identified as fake. No harm done. Now to await the vitriol about to be hurled in my direction....

While it could be argued that it may not have been unethical to sell them "as counterfeits" the more relevant question I believe is whether the OP had the responsibility to indelibly mark these fake Cubans to prevent the possibility of subsequent resale as authentic goods.

Consider if the good had been a malfunctioning blood pressure cuff sold as-is for decorative purposes only. Under what circumstances could the original seller have been held ethically culpable if the buyer subsequently resold the item to someone who used it under the presumption that the device was fully operational and accurate (as opposed to reading 25% low). Further, consider if this user then suffered medical ramifications as a result of the too low measurement. Should he feel bad? Could or should this have been something he could have reasonably foreseen and acted to prevent?

I can't comment on the legality of it all. For something like this, proximate cause is generally the guideline. But what's legal is not always coherent with what's ethical although it generally should be.

Wilkey