2013 Blind Tasting Cigar Number 1

For all Contestants spotlight.gif

By July 1st, please e-mail me your call for Blind Tasting Cigar Number one. I will need your handle, your full name and your nomination for Cigar Number 1. if you like you can call the other cigars in the e-mail and I will record your nominations.

You can place a review here of Cigar number one.....but don't name it just in case you influence those who have yet to submit their nomination.

If you haven't already done so, shoot me your pick by July 1. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this thread ok.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sampler just arrived the other day, going to let them sit for a few days after their travels but definately looking forward to lighting up #1

Hi Fellow FOHers,

While I have never been a player for the blind tastings yet, these events have always provided a great deal of fun and education. I can't wait to follow the proceedings this year.

Good luck and best wishes to all of the participants!

Curtiss

so much lamb...

i didn't taste any lamb when i smoked cigar no. 1 this arvo Dimmers, but i did taste something like washed dog. I think i'll have to stop patting my furry mate Hussey, while i smoke!

There may have been vanilla and what came across as cream to start with, but the second half didn't help me come up with any further ideas as to what it is! Based on what i think the size is, and a little internet research i've narrowed it down to 4 cigars, and then played rock paper scissors with my dog to narrow it down to my choice.

If i get it right he gets a bone. A fair deal i reckon!

Email sent to Rob.

i didn't taste any lamb when i smoked cigar no. 1 this arvo Dimmers, but i did taste something like washed dog. I think i'll have to stop patting my furry mate Hussey, while i smoke!

There may have been vanilla and what came across as cream to start with, but the second half didn't help me come up with any further ideas as to what it is! Based on what i think the size is, and a little internet research i've narrowed it down to 4 cigars, and then played rock paper scissors with my dog to narrow it down to my choice.

If i get it right he gets a bone. A fair deal i reckon!

Email sent to Rob.

Nice work mate. I'm huddled in a life raft here in Sydney waiting for the monsoon to stop before I give number 1 a crack.

this one is gonna be a tough one. my cigar number one was kinda plugged, so i didn't have a very good draw from it. that said i did manage to narrow it down to 2 possible choices. i'll be sending Rob an e-mail soon with my choice. hope one of them is correct ! hehe

I'll get started when the weather settles down. We had a small storm Friday night. No power for 16 hours.

Trees 1, Trucks 0

post-9032-0-77263100-1372041985_thumb.jp

I really do look forward to these blind tastings. Such a challenge and I find interesting how some of the guesses are so different.

Here's by review.

Aroma at cold - powdered tobacco. Can't say I've ever smelled this before, almost a talcum baby powder smell.

post-89-0-05556800-1372042269_thumb.jpg

Construction - very well. Small green water spot on the edge of wrapper leaf but no big deal.

post-89-0-25629700-1372042302_thumb.jpg

1/3 - Punched the cap and the draw was perfect. Initial smoke steered me directly to my ultimate guess as to which cigar this might be. I found the body to be just under medium and the flavors I picked out were a blend of gingerbread, shortbread and sugar cookies. No spice at all.

post-89-0-19398900-1372042300_thumb.jpg

2/3 - Body slightly up to medium, but still very restrained. Not trying to be more than it is. Although no overall change in flavors in comparison to the first third, there might be a hint of bell pepper sneaking in. The burn went a little crooked but corrected itself easily.

post-89-0-91876100-1372042297_thumb.jpg

3/3 - Pretty much the same as the first 2/3rd's. Straight forward, nice easy smoke. Enjoyable.

post-89-0-15291500-1372042296_thumb.jpg

Total time: 90 minutes

This was definitely not a cigar in my regular rotation, but it did immediately draw me to my conclusion. Can't wait to find out what it turned out to be.

Enjoy guys.

Nice work mate. I'm huddled in a life raft here in Sydney waiting for the monsoon to stop before I give number 1 a crack.

Hope you've tied your raft down Dux, as she's about to get a bit windy down there this evening!

What a challenge with the bands off! Following are the tasting notes of my beloved Crystal and I.

"Initial impression of coffee. Smoke is on the light side but flavour is rich. A sweet flavour. A hint of vanilla. I wouldnt call it creamy just yet. Now lost the coffee mostly. There are floral notes. Almost soapy at the 1/3 mark. Not the marzipan of a XXXX. The intensity is dying off. It is still smooth sweet and floral. Becoming savoury at the half mark. Picking up some grunt. More smoke now. Growing some balls. Flavour is not evolving much though. Not a whole lot is changing. Coming up to 2/3, nothing more to report. Now earthy. More salty. Now more of a hit - yeehaaa. Smooth, light floral flavours with no coffee, earth lessening. Extra bite and earth at the end. "

"A thin wrapper and a delicate cap that suffers under the cigar scissors. A moderately firm initial draw. Very aromatic start to the cigar. It has a distinctive cold herbal/grassiness which reminds me of XXXX but seems of a different marca. Develops a creamy saltiness at the quarter mark. Impressions of choclatey coffee as well. At the 1/3 mark i am demoting this to the second rung of churchills. It is on the mild and sparse side. When I get a blaze on, it is savoury and meaty but develops a lopsided burn. At the half it is satisfyingly medium bodied. Further the smoke level moderates a bit. Nothing more to add at 2/3. Perhaps more earthy now, as crystal notes. Less complex but more biting on the palate. Towards the end developing woody notes with a light aromatic/floral overlay. The burn is frustratingly uneven, though mostly self-correcting. A difficult cigar to nail."

I'm halfway through this cigar and just emailed my nomination off to Rob. After dry boxing for a day, I lit it with a cedar spill and the flavors came through in a wave of delicious, refined goodness. Razor sharp burn. Aroma of shortbread and cream. Absolutely no harshness on the retrohale. There's no doubt in my mind what this is, and I wish I had more! It may take the #1 spot as my favorite churchill, wrestling that title away from a long time incumbant =)

post-6777-0-02742200-1372105705_thumb.jp

post-6777-0-44513000-1372105730_thumb.jp

post-6777-0-76951600-1372105753_thumb.jp

Not completely sure what #1 is but halfway through and enjoying it very much with a tasty porter beer watching Arcade Fire's 2011 Coachella festival set.

The cigar is all about subtle complexity like a fine elegant Burgundy - love it and will get some (if I don't already own a recent box).

Oh if anyone knows a better live band at the moment than Arcade Fire - please let me - awesome!

this is a tuffy....sadly I don't have much experience with this vitola. only smoked two before this.

This stick kinda took a beating while traveling to me. it revealed a very thin wrapper - at least it looked thin

at cold - there was no aroma, and not much on the draw

paired this with water

1/3 - soft/delicate/creamy

2/3 - spices from all direction - front and back of toungue

3/3 - back to gentle great quality tobaccy...

I think that I narrowed it down to 2...and I had to take a guess

email sent

....oh i must be god-awful at this. hole.gif I got earthiness and spice galore in the main, some bitterness and leathery notes as well. Med-full, no real cream/ sweetness. .

It really is interesting to see what people are getting out of this. I smoked #1 a few weeks back wihtout seeing any of the posts, but can relate best to Habano2000, " Straight forward, nice easy smoke ".

My main criteria are:

Did I enjoy the cigar? Yes, it would have to be a pretty awful stick for me to give up my cigar time.

Would I smoke another? about 50:50 and only if I had something else to go to otherwise yes.

Would I buy a box? probably not, though I'll be on the look out for a similar vitola.

All of which can only mean I have no idea what that was smile.png

I won't post a full review, just the cliffnotes.

From the opening, I thought I was sure what this cigar was since it reminded me a lot of another cigar I've smoked. I got a lot of woodiness in the beginning, with a hint of fruity "twang". After an inch or so, the cedar/woodiness started going away and the fruity twang took over completely. Ash drops on my shirt mid way, but still the same twang as before. In the last third, it started to go away and the cedar started coming back with a bit of spice. With about 1.5-2 inches left, the cigar was no longer enjoyable, bitterness set in and I called it a day.

Overall, I really enjoyed the cigar, but I was left without a clue to what it might be. I researched all the possibilities and was able to eliminate a couple, but some marcas I have never smoked so I'm going to have to take a shot in the dark. I'd be surprised if I get it right because I would have never expected that cigar to be this good. (the one I'm going to guess)

2013BlindCigar1_zpsb6a338f5.jpg

Hi All

Smoked #1 a couple of days ago in very high humidity, insanely cold melbourne evening. (Rob: can we do these tastings over an equinox next time :-P )

I don't smoke many in this Vitola but enjoyed this one very much. Really in stride for the first third and last third right down to the fingers. Shortbread and nice nuttiness here and there, bit like not-so-sweet nutella.

Looking forward to #2

Cheers

JF

Ok Smoked Cigar No. 1 on the way to work. The beginning was a little harsh kind of dry hay tasting but only for the first half inch or so. It develped a nice sweetness in the first third but I had burn and draw issues throughout. By half way the draw opened up and burn issues went away the sweetness was muted a bit but still there and the smoke became more earthy. On the final third the burn went real wonky on me I did manage to smoke it to the nub and I did enjoy this cigar very much even with all the draw and burn issues, but don't think I ever smoked it before. Reminded me of a shorter cigar I smoked so I am basing my decision on that. Email Sent (hoping I'm right)

Rob, thanks for doing this once again. These blind tastings are always very enjoyable.

I got a chance to smoke this puppy the other night and overall I was pleased with it. The construction on my stick was quite good, it did have a few green spots and suffered from a mildly wonky burn as others have noted. I experienced flavours of rich tobacco and wood and found the flavours to be consistent from start to finish. The only change was I found it increased in strength quite a lot in the last third.

I rarely smoke Churchills, so my pick will be a guess. However, I was very impressed by the balance this vitola has between being a brute and a charmer and I will start smoking them more because of this. On to stick two...