2013 Blind Tasting Cigar Number 1

So, I asked Rob for a bit of a delay on my part, due to an uncooperative work schedule and crap weather. But, I got it done within a window of time today. And, I haven't done a full-tilt review for a little over a year or so, so I'm gonna do it up for this competition (sorry - fairly picture heavy and descriptively long). But, here's my review of the first cigar in this year's blind cigar tasting competition....

Reviewed Cigar: Blind Cigar No. 1

Box Date: Unknown (current production)

Factory/Manufacture Code: Unknown

Packaging: Unknown

Price: Never talk money....

Length: 7", or 178 mm

Ring Gauge: 47

Format: Churchill

Weight: Don't you know it isn't polite to ask a fella this??

Construction/Appearance & Pre-Light: Noticed that this cigar fits those Churchill measurements bang on. Cigars from the past two years' worth of competitions always seemed to have a bit of variance – this year's cigars seem more accurate, maybe a sign of better quality control, and/or a slower production pace? Rob has stated that as per previous years, these cigars are standard / common production, and that's how I've been set in my considerations. So, we only have so many to choose from with this format now.

Construction seems so-so on this cigar. No major soft spots, although the cigar as a whole feels somewhat light and spongy. The wrapper is fairly oil-free and plain, somewhat light, and has a few distinct green spots, and some green-ish shading at other spots throughout. It wouldn't be my pick of a cigar for aesthetics. But the cap is well applied. And at the foot, the bunching is top notch; the visible filler differences, especially with the folding and blending of the seco, volado, and ligero, looks wonderfully done. A fair bit of that lovely dark stuff in there, but it's a Churchill – these aren't blended to knock your boots off, so we'll see how this goes.

post-6965-0-24819800-1372697645_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-39522900-1372697683_thumb.jp

Aromas at cold are simple. Just toasted clean tobacco. Maybe a hint of fresh leather in there. And almost an ever so slight tone of merlot wine.

But overall, two big things step out on inspection of this cigar. Firstly, like others have mentioned, it has a slight but noticeable box press. Well, that knocks off a couple of contenders. Secondly, and perhaps more so, is something that I haven't seen anyone else mention. Where the band was on this cigar had slight damage and rips to the wrapper, a sign of removing the band with sticking glue. Well, that drew in my eye. Upon closer inspection, I noticed something that appeared to be....

To me, factoring in these two huge things (the box press, and the....other thing) that really narrows this cigar to me, pre-light, to it really only being....

So that's my call on this cigar already. But, let's see how it performs with fire....

post-6965-0-41590200-1372697751_thumb.jp

Cut well, no cracking, fairly loose bunching at the head, with two distinct bunched groups. Perfect draw, maybe just a bit on the loose side. But still very workable.

Opening Impressions: After a lighting up and initial draws, starting to notice that the draw actually is average. Decent amounts of smoke. Little bit of woodsy tones and some light earthiness. Mild white pepper on the retrohale. Light flavors.

And sure enough, after delaying and putting off this review for a while, due to uncooperative East coast weather, and after I seemed to have a decent enough window to get this smoked and reviewed – Mother Nature decided to poo-poo on my parade again. Freakin' rain!

post-6965-0-77693200-1372697825_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-50712200-1372697860_thumb.jp

First Third: Very flaky ash, fairly bright / light coloured. Flavours of…well, meh. The flavours are very light, and not impressive. Continuing the mild tones of wood and light earthiness. Taste of decent enough toasted tobacco, but almost like someone rubbed those tobacco leaves on a damp forest floor a bit, to try to give it some character. The smoke, while voluminous, has a very light mouth feel. Not a velvety coated smoke at all. Flavour is in the medium-light to light range. Also has a fairly uneven burn. Ash is holding for about an inch and a half at a time, and coming off with a nice extroverted cone to the burning foot of the cigar (rather than a bad-burning introverted cone to the foot).

post-6965-0-14860800-1372697941_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-55059000-1372697975_thumb.jp

Second Third: No relights or issues like that at all, and the burn self-corrects, while not being razor sharp either. Same flavours, but it actually begins to lighten up a bit, fairly light bodied. Some hints of youthfulness there. Noticed that the wrapper is extremely thin, tissue-paper like. Found a very pronounced hard vein in the binder, hiding under the wrapper leaf where the band was removed. Also, noticed that once the ash falls, there is a very distinct colour variation with the ash from the different filler leaves. Pretty neat looking. Also, a sign of being youthful tobacco, and needing some further aging time for everything to meld together well for better combustion and flavours, IMO.

post-6965-0-27432800-1372698058_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-71227600-1372698092_thumb.jp

Final Third: Again, very light flavours, with no change overall. Meh. The wrapper started to disintegrate during this third a bit. And only during the last few draws, I noticed an ever so faint, very slight hint of black licorice hiding behind the mild earthy tobacco. Quite a bit of youthful tang on the aftertaste throughout the whole second half.

post-6965-0-18893500-1372698180_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-66762600-1372698213_thumb.jp

post-6965-0-69300900-1372698249_thumb.jp

Finishing Comments / Overall Impression: Honestly, if this cigar wasn't for the competition, I would have thrown it away at the halfway point. I know that Churchills are blended to be a bit more mild, but they should still somewhat interest you throughout. This one was the same throughout, but also got weaker as it went on.

I gave this cigar a so-so 84. There wasn’t a lot overly wrong with the cigar, but there definitely wasn't anything overwhelming that made it right either. Perhaps it's just in a sick period, and needs for the tobacco to blend well. My guess with the flavours and the burn, and also sticking with Rob's statement that these are all current production recent boxes, definitely seems like it's a cigar that is 8 or 9 months old, and could just be in a funk.

I've sent Rob my guess of this, and I'm sticking on my original assertion that it's a.... But, I'm roughly 90% sure of my guess on it, and if right, it wouldn't surprise me of my tasting notes, nor of the lack of oomph in this cigar. To me anyways, it's definitely different from other cigars in the marca, though I find this brand doesn't really appeal to me, aside from two particular regional and/or special releases that have been released under this brand.

Fingers crossed – gotta try and regain my championship title.

If I'm wrong, then, well....I've completely crapped the bed on this.

Final Score: 84

Total Smoking Time: 1 hr & 5 minutes

Paired Beverage: Coke Zero

Date & Time Smoked: Monday, July 1st, 2013, 11:55 am to 1:00 pm

Thanks for reading my review. Hope you enjoyed it (more than I enjoyed the cigar).

Cheers.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith, I love your reviews...and your reputation for blind cigar contests are well known around the globe. Good luck this year!

Here is my whip through it review:

Churchill - Pleasant Cigar - Medium Bodied overall - no real spice - no real nicotine hit - good smoke volume - mellow flavors of wood, leather, nuts and some hints of cream go back and forth (as Ken would say "flowing"). Flavors are good, not great. No burn issues. Not exciting enough for me to say "wow, I need some." Still, better than not smoking anything. If I was rating with a #, 87

Cheers peoples.

I will commence putting together the spreadsheet of answers tomorrow and have it up Friday. I haven't had a chance to respond to each of you individually but rest assured I have received the selection e-mails.

Well done one and all! ok.gif

Cheers peoples.

I will commence putting together the spreadsheet of answers tomorrow and have it up Friday. I haven't had a chance to respond to each of you individually but rest assured I have received the selection e-mails.

Well done one and all! ok.gif

Awesome! Can't wait to see how we all did. Thanks again for running the review.

Quick question, when does cigar #2 need to be reviewed by?

How do I get in on this and what are the details?

Too late. The original thread was about two months ago. Five cigars, unbanded. Winner to guess all five cigars wins *****INT credit. You gotta pay attention RC! wink.png All participants had their cigars shipped a while back. Keep an eye out for the next one is all I can say.

Official Details.

Howdy Rob,Sorry my entry is so late! Cigars only arrived yesterday so I made sure to get stuck into #1 last night,Ok if I didn't know any better here I'd say ***. But.. I'm going to say ***.I've only had a couple Churchill here so I'm basing this off the tastes and a little research, Seeing as I have no experience to couple it with.Impressions; 4 layered thin cap, Box pressed, tight to medium draw at cold.light dusty tobacco aroma, draw at cold barn yard and dry grass.Draw is fair, sweet aroma, first impression is espresso. As it opens up, coffee, grass, cream.Toasted nuts, a lingering sweetness and creaminess. Medium bodied.Bread notes, turkish bread? Sweet vanilla hints2/3rdCoffee and nuts have gone. still medium bodied, lots of cream and bread. Roast tobacco, fresh bread. Burning reasonably. Steady profile slow development, limited.

3/3 Espresso is back! becomes more lattee like towards the end.. Towards the very end I get surprised with what tastes like barrel cooper charring and grape, some molasses

I give it a 86.

I smoked it on an empty stomach, Which I paid for later when I tried to fill it.

Enjoyable cigar, But I'm not sure if it'd make it into my collection.. If money weren't a consideration I think I'd lean more towards the Esplendido for this kind of size.. But I'm very inexperienced here so there's lots of trying and saving to do!

I have completed the results table (not bloody easy !LOL!) but have sent an e-mail to a few people who have not submitted a result.

I will post up tomorrow morning my time ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...