Upmann Sir Winston fans, need your opinions

Maybe it's the Monarchs or Monarca your referring to? Basically the same thing but marginally more rough.

Was't H.Upmann Sir Winstons discontinued in 2003, just like 1998 Trinidad Fundadores?whisper.gif

If that was supposed to be some kind of joke, I don't get it. Neither Fundies nor Sir Winstons are discontinued, though they both changed bands some years ago.

Was't H.Upmann Sir Winstons discontinued in 2003, just like 1998 Trinidad Fundadores?whisper.gif

Are they that different to you? Interesting, I was going to look around for some recent production. Now maybe not.

I Bought a box this year from our gracious host, DIC 12, are these approachable young? I always try out young cigars, but would hate to have one of these if they are too young as they are pretty hard to get.

I had one from a box code RMS DIC 12 (that I bought from Rob) about a week ago. Very similar at this stage to an H. Upmann Petit Corona in overall flavor profile, but the taste was a bit muddled and will definitely benefit from much more aging. I might try another one in a year - they have potential written all over them.

I had one from a box code RMS DIC 12 (that I bought from Rob) about a week ago. Very similar at this stage to an H. Upmann Petit Corona in overall flavor profile, but the taste was a bit muddled and will definitely benefit from much more aging. I might try another one in a year - they have potential written all over them.

I have the exact same box, you got me in the mood to try one over the weekend

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a box of 25 in January of this year.

Box date SSU JUL 02.

They are 11 years old smooth as silk with a graham cracker note as mentioned in a previous post. No harshness at all.

I have smoked 4 of them and they have all been incredible.

If and when you get the chance to buy a box jump at the chance. I don't think you will regret it.

Peace.

Because of their price, I don't buy many. I had a box from 03 (i think) that was great. Smoked them from 06-08 probably. I have a box from Aug 08 that has been rather pedestrian. Overall good flavor but just not much flavor there. Not very rich. I've smoked half the box and am having one as I type. A few have been more on the rich side and enjoyable but the rest are quite mild...good flavor but hard to tell you're even smoking a cigar. I don't see myself springing for another box anytime soon.

I just smoked an epic one about a week ago, from a trade with Chris / "ChanceSchmerr", from a May 2003 "KNA" box. From my notes:

"Very oily and marbled for being a 2003 stick. Very refined flavours. Draw was very open, almost "windtunnel-ish" when cut, but firmed up surprisingly and smoked well, with LOTS of smoke volume. Hints of shortbread cookies, doughy fresh / semi-cooked bread, very clean and refined tobacco tones. Almost a unique "crispness" to the flavour of the smoke, without being tart or citrusy, and while the smoke volume was fairly light-weighted in the mouth, but creamy and coating at the same time. A unique blend of paradoxes in this cigar. Light to medium bodied, but a range of unique flavours blended into a great experience. Very refined and classy."

I rated it a solid 93, and only the smoking weather turning for the worse, and a slightly bad drink pairing giving me some slightly harsh hints here and there with the draw at the onset, made it lose a point or two.

With that particular cigar, if I could buy a full box like that right now, same code and quality level, it'd be a hands-down no brainer. Amazing smoke to enjoy.

Smoking a single I got from a friend with an Oct 10' code and in short glorious cigar. Started med then halfway dove down a little then back to med-full and darker on the last third, almost Mag 46 territory, heavier dark coffee but still so rich the finish just coats the mouth. As you've all said this has years maybe even decades to go, just an awesome cigar. Now to save up money for a box, but I want some for special occasion and I think that's are what these are meant for, a must have in the humidor. I really can't say enough about what a great smoking experience this was, it's moved into my top 5 all time and it's only 3 yrs old.