Help me choose

Reevzy

I'm broke!

Let's start off with that.

I've finally got enough money aside to buy a box of 25 little "go to" cigars.

Ones that I've tried of late are the Punch petit coronations, which I really like, they have a very strong toasty nutty flavour that I like and they're a good size in that you don't have to commit half your night to.

The other that I tried today was a Monte 5, very smooth smoke with a lot of that fine powder drinking chocolate flavour to them, although I don't know if that was a fluke cause I got it from a small ciggie shop down the road, but I really liked it.

I'm tossing up between these two cigars unless, if someone has an opinion on them that'd be great or even a suggestion for a cigar of similar size and price (roughly $250 Aussie a box).

Cheers

Cheers guys, might try the Rafael Gonzales first. Maybe get a few more Monte 5's to see if they hold up too.

Haven't gone to Singapore yet, it's kinda ages away still in late September,

I'm just already planning every single step I'll take over there laugh.png

Who knows, maybe I'll be more on the hunt for Party Lusi GR's by then.

I probably smoke perla size more than anything these days and the first two you mentioned are great,

so I'd vote for the El Principe in the mix. The Gonzales just dont seem to have the quality of the others for me.

A small Bolivar is also a nice treat.

I hate to say this but I'm really enjoying my box of RG Panatelas Extra. They are skinny but I love the RG profile so would go the perlas or PC. El Principe are great too so maye two boxes!

While I don't really like the RG Perla I have ALWAYS loved the Petite Corona RG...just an amazing cigar.

The SCdH Principe is a completely different smoke that moves in the other direction from the RG PC, I like both of them but the Principe is a more herbal, complex cigar while the RG PC is more warm, toasty, nut/cedar/earthiness....To Me of course.

Ok, so I ordered a few El Principe's, read nothing but great reviews about them so I'm looking forward to trying them.

A couple of RG PC's and a couple of Monte 5's.

And not so cheap and cheerful but I've never tried a Party Lusi, just thought I'd throw that in there rolleyes.gif

I've still got a couple of Punch petit coronations so out of this little lot, we'll see which one comes up trumps that deserves buying a box for.

I dunno... had a couple more Monte 5's with a mate last night and they're bloody nice.

It's a two horse race at the moment but the others aren't even in the gates yet.

I really can't wait to try the El Principe's

Had really nice monti 5 this morning on the way for crab. Had a RG petit corona for the way home but fell overboard half way through our quota so missed out on it. Was cold as ice. Monti 5's at present are spot on.

I have never been a fan of the RG line. Monte 5 have been treating me well lately. Another affordable stick worth checking out is the Partagas Petit Corona Especiales. They are in almost daily rotation for me. When you get one that is really "on" it can have tastes that bring me back to my beloved P2's. Not sure on aud prices but I pay under $130USD a box.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've tried an El Principe but wasn't blown away by it, although it was only a day out of the express post bag but I still have a few resting in my humidor so we'll see how they go in a week or so.

Got an RG PC in there as well that I am yet to smoke.

I have however bought a box of the Punch Petit Coronations, I just love that nutty flavour of those so I bit the bullet on those.

And funds were looking spritely enough that I also bought a box of Monte 5's.

I'm very excited, this will be the largest amount of cigars I'll ever own. 50! Plus the others I've got...........

plus the box of Monte 520's that I just bought that are on sale. Struth, it might even be time for a bigger humidor clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

All very nice suggestions but may I recommend a good and faithful Jose`L. Piedra? The size selections of corona to near lonsdale size and their unfailing Cuban flavor despite coming from the Vuelta Arriba instead of the Vuelta Abajo, and ESPECIALLY their affordability would be IMHO a very great "go to" smoke. My 2 cents.

According to my personal taste and experience:

You should to buy "good values" cigars, not expensive cigars, that permit you smoke everyday (or almost), instead of having good and expensive habanos in your humidor to smoke them only weekends or special dates.

Besides, you could prefer vitolas like PC, Mille Fleurs, Cremas and robustos intead of "short" ones (e.g. perlas)

There are very good values in the market: MF (Partagas and R&J), Robustos (RASS), lots of PC (M4, Bolivar, RGM) and Cremas like Superpartagas and H.Upmann Majestics, between USD 4,5 - 8 each.

But.... it´s my opinion, nothing else.

Well, the box of Monte 5's I got from Rob are going great. They've got an early '11 something box code so they've got a little time on them and some of them look all shiny and splotchy and they smoke as smooth as silk, taste like fine cocoa powder.

The Punch peit coronations on the other hand I think can use a bit of time.

I got into those from a smoke shop down the road and they have this awesome roasted nuts thing about them.

I hope they come around cause I really like em.

So that's my lot for a while, I'm sitting on nearly 70 cigars of different price tags and sizes.

Really need to knuckle down and save for my holiday in September, it's just so hard to not tune in to all the live from the warehouse and whatnot biggrin.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had both the Quintero Breva and Piedra conservas recently,both are great budget smokes,as well as the Por Larragna panatelas.Another good one is the Flor de Cano selectos,good price and excellent construction,worth the $$.

Surprising that the Partagas short and R.Allones short cc have not been mentioned,both are top notch.