Diplomaticos discontinuation?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangolf18, if you are not going to miss them I'll take what you have left in trade for something you like.

I have yet to find that same flavor in any other smokes.

Sorry I'm all out of dips. If I did have some, I'd gladly send some over to you.

Just split a box of Diplo 2's with a mate. Box code AME Jul 12. They look really oily, good solid construction, consistently packed. Resting them for now will see how they smoke after a couple weeks in the humidor.

Anybody know anything for sure, or is this just more internet rumours?

When we were in Havana in November, this rumour was floating about (actually, just a bit before we went down I think, but it wasn't surprising, as it was a common question ever since H S.A. deleted/stopped production of the Dip 4).

Anyway, when we were down there, it was brought up once and a while to various industry people down there - rollers, retailers, H S.A., etc. Some said it would be likely, others laughed it off due to the moderate popularity of the Dip 2, etc. It seemed like a general 50/50 split. Most definitely had the "we have to wait and see" thought.

Until we see it finalized on paper, there's no way to know for sure with H S.A.

Either way, everyone saw it as a travesty that this was even in the conversation (much less other deletions recently), when H S.A. seems fit to revitalize Vegueros, or trumpet Belinda and Guantanamera as "swag", etc., etc.

Releasing a Diplomaticos RE/LE... whatever, is the same as no Diplomaticos at all!

The Diplomaticos line suffered from the collectors contrivance, while perhaps based on some historical fact, that Diplomaticos were lower tier Montecristos.

My smoking life only extends 29 years and while I have not smoked Diplomaticos for that entire span, in the years that I have been smoking CC's, I have found that this "tale of the Diplomaticos" to be nothing more that a libelous falsehood!

I am not a fan of the D-2. Every other cigar in the line, while suffering from some of the same highs and lows of other CC's has been on the same level or superior to the Montecristo line. Diplomaticos are superior cigars!!! Diplomaticos are superior to Montecristos when viewed on the aggregate statisticaly.

It is far easier to sell the Cuban cigar enthusiast a shiny box and a second band, an untested and unproven cigar at multiple times its value, than it has been to convince them to try the fabulous cigars under their very noses. These cigars not new or unusual, extravagant only in taste; the ones that have a stake in Habanos history, had survived only due to critical performance, not trend, or whim.

The Diplomaticos are now dead. Dead due to the very reason that they once lived. Dead due to the nature of the average Habanos smoker, and a manufacturer that has noticed its customers are not as interested in taste, in proven superior cigars, but interested in the essence of 'new,' and the shallow glare of the the boxes that they come in...

My less than humble opinion!

post-79-0-34784700-1362155464_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-18369600-1362155506_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-30658000-1362155531_thumb.jpg

"It is far easier to sell the Cuban cigar enthusiast a shiny box and a second band, an untested and unproven cigar at multiple times its value, than it has been to convince them to try the fabulous cigars under their very noses. These cigars not new or unusual, extravagant only in taste; the ones that have a stake in Habanos history, had survived only due to critical performance, not trend, or whim."

God bless you again Piggy.

I have no doubt they will be sorely missed by people who never bought them when the entire line was available… <<sardonic laugh>> sneaky.gifinnocent.gifsnooty.gifjester.gif

lol Frank your posts are always great! The truth sometimes hurts!

I never enjoyed (Or even found a single pleasant note) any of the dips, 1 through 5 and gifted away the remaining ones I had last year, but it's still sad to see the death of a marca. Although this shows that there is hope that HSA will kill the monte Open marca one day!

...a manufacturer that has noticed its customers are ... interested in the essence of 'new,' and the shallow glare of the the boxes that they come in...

So incredibly true (that assessment coming from a guy with a number of EL/RE boxes in his humi).

Interesting to note that the frenzy stirred up by the pepper sticks in the NC market has worked its way well into the CC market. It is everywhere though... even scotch now has a huge number of "limited" and "special" bottles. It used to be just vintages, then some started with what I regard as genuine curiosity and experimentation, to the point of now having so many special releases that it takes a full time job to keep up with them.

I may be in the minority of those who have preferred the No 2 to the other vitolas, and I'm not generally a fan of the shape.

Seeing the general preference for 1s / 4s / etc. makes me wonder if I just had subpar examples... thanks to HSA I will not find out anytime soon. Time to grab a couple spare boxes of 2s, I suppose.

...I am not a fan of the D-2. Every other cigar in the line, while suffering from some of the same highs and lows of other CC's has been on the same level or superior to the Montecristo line. Diplomaticos are superior cigars!!! Diplomaticos are superior to Montecristos when viewed on the aggregate statisticaly.

Oh Piggy. So well said. Aged Dips are definitely not Monte's lesser (although I definitely love my PSP Monte 4's and 2's).

While I do like Dip 2's, I also find that 4's are the best of the bunch. Have a number of boxes of those stashed away that I'm slowly going through and enjoying.

Didn't really get a chance to try the 1's in the last few years until ChanceSchmerr traded me one a bit ago. You're box looks lovely! Please, PM me any retailer info if you're able - I've been unable to find any boxes available since that one traded from Chris.

Which are those, Kevin?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk.

Looks like Dip 4 and I think I know the source :P

Let us know how they smoke!!

Looks like Dip 4 and I think I know the source tongue.png

Let us know how they smoke!!

You do know the source. I am not cracking them for at least 2-3 weeks (aka a day or two) since they were in transit for almost a month. When I get the diplo 3s I bought last week, I will be sure to let you know how they are.

Dip 4 was my favorite CC. I say was because I haven't had one in so long. I'm down to the last one in my humi, not sure what occasion will justify lighting it up lol.

I'd appreciate a PM about the source.

Rob any chance you could help us out?

After hearing about the rumours before christmas, i decided to get a few dip's to sample as they had always been on my list. Over the last week or so since seeing this thread i've smoked a dip 1, 2 and 3.(still no 4 or 5's..... yet) I must say i really liked the ones i had... Obviously its a very small smaple size but the number 3 was the best of the bunch closely followed by the no. 1 and the no.2 was nice but not on par with the others. A shame they are no longer with us.

6pwRKkBl.jpg

Added a few more to the pile (ARA ABR 01)

I have a box with the same details, so will be interested to hear your impression. Mine are so box pressed that they nearly have edges on them.