Trunkador project

So when I came back from Havana last November I filled my second cooler to the top....I was stuck without any extra place to store cigars. Now, I live in an apartment and space is limited. The logic thing would have been to buy another or a larger cooler but let's face it they are not the prettiest thing to have in your living room. After searching around the interwebs, I decided to convert the "steam" trunk I already had in my living room.

First let me say thank you to Eve for letting me use the living as a workshop during xmas spotlight.gif

I do not own any power tool so everything was cut and sanded by hand....pod.gif

Material costs:

Trunk Free (although they sell for about 50-100$ in antique shops)

Spanish cedar 150$ (4 packs of cedar planks)

Caulking and aquarium sealer 12$

2 bottles of wood glue 16$

C Clamps 26$

Seal 30$

Total time: Muchhhhh longer than planned.

*Note, I tried to get the planks done by the wood store but the only had super thick planks which would have put my Spanish Cedar costs to 350$

*Note 2, I use beads in there and it has been pretty solid between 64-65%. I am not a humidity buff but after many seasoning sessions and seal correction it seems good to go!

Original

post-8384-0-01870900-1360785830_thumb.jp

Intact interior

post-8384-0-28092000-1360785894_thumb.jp

After ripping the first layer... indutrial strenght super glued cardboard pod.gif

post-8384-0-33426100-1360785919_thumb.jp

Lots of scrapping

post-8384-0-37093900-1360785940_thumb.jp

Sealed cracks, holes and nails

post-8384-0-72112000-1360785990_thumb.jp

Gluing wood piece by piece

post-8384-0-52218300-1360786018_thumb.jp

Finished product party.gifspotlight.gifparty.gif

post-8384-0-42096000-1360786041_thumb.jp

And yes...I already need another one lol... I will probably do another in the summer but BIGGER!

cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

So when I came back from Havana last November I filled my second cooler to the top....I was stuck without any extra place to store cigars. Now, I live in an apartment and space is limited. The logic thing would have been to buy another or a larger cooler but let's face it they are not the prettiest thing to have in your living room. After searching around the interwebs, I decided to convert the "steam" trunk I already had in my living room.

Very Nice! A conversation piece as well.

Total time: Muchhhhh longer than planned.

Yeah..welcome to my world

Wow.. We've had exactly the same idea :P Although for now.. I've kind of given up on mine :P I need to get remotivated with it and follow your lead!