Marca Discussion: What does your palate respond to?

Right now, I can't get enough of that distinctly Bolivar flavour.

Rich earth, mocha, coffee, citrus, stone fruit, and toasted nuts.

Maybe it's just the cooler weather at the moment, because during the summer months I prefer the lighter sides of some of the other brands.

Is there a Marca you stock with regularity for a specific set of flavors?

Does that change with the seasons?

Just curious.

Thanks.

For the last year or so I've found that the Ramon Allones profile appeals to me the most.

The range of flavours I detect often are as follows:

• Stewed fruit
  • Sour Cherry
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Cedar

The blend varies from cigar to cigar. I find RA's to be the most enjoyable cigars. Amongst my favourites, the RA Gladiator RE for BPE, Celestiales Finos RE for AP. RA898, was a stupendous cigar. The one I had made quite the impression. The Canadian RA RE's have done well by me too. They can be incredibly strong, but well balanced overall. I wish there would be more regular production stick in the lineup though.

Partagas is far and away my favorite flavor profile. Honestly, as much as I enjoy Bolivar, I just can't find one that has blown me away. I've found that the HU PC is a much better mareva.

Alongside Partagas, I love Vegas Robaina, and whatever magic they're sprinkling in Monte 2's these days :D

Ramon Allones simply does it for me. The distinctive flavors of fruits, nuts and cuban soil make the RASS the type of cigar I could smoke the rest of my days if on a deserted island.

I have realized that I'm from the school of rate cigars into four categories Very good, good, meh, and not good. I like creamy, coffee, coca, cedar, earthy flavors. Strength doesn't matter to me I think strong and mild sticks alike. I mostly like Hdm, Bolivar, PL, RA and cohiba(not that I can afford them) and montecristo

i've been a partagas man for the longest time. But other than the D4's and shorts (and they have to be picked by Rob) Party has fallen off the map.

Ramon Allones however, have shot up to no.1 in my books in the past 18 months, Rass, Rascc, Superiors, Celestial Finos and other RA RE's are just fantastic. I hope partagas can make a strong return because I do love the spicyness of those cigars

I think I respond to every marca, when it is "on".

Kind of says it all, for me - a great cigar works for me regardless of marque. Generally speaking, marques that have rarely failed me (please take into consideration I haven't necessarily sampled every size of every marque) are:

Bolivar

Upmann

Hoyo

Montecristo

and just outside:

Vegas Robaina

RyJ never fails me. Give me any RyJ and I'm a happy guy.

Good to see another RJ guy here, the marca takes a beating around these parts (rightly so in most cases) but my pallet is addicted to a good Short Churchill, the Dukes, Cazz and the 2007 Escudos EL. Rest of the line can be tossed out IMHO..

RA, HDM are my other go to's... maybe becuase of thier mild nature?

I struggle with Bolivar and Cohiba (less the BHK's) , no matter how hard I try just doesnt agree with me...

Very similar tastes to some others, I like:

Monte

HUpmann

HdM

SLR

RyJ

I know that's kinda all over the map, but I like my creamy smooth cigars. Yet I'm always up for spice too. My go to regular rotation has to be the 5 listed,but always up for trying something new.

I love the aromas as much as the flavour profile, and I like a variety of different flavour profiles, but I like rich, saturating flavours like coffee, nuts, christmas cake, cream, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, etc, and most variations of capsicum spice if balanced by the others. I prefer wood as a background/backbone, and I like the floral characters too. I don't necessarily like purely sweet cigars either, but I just don't get the green bell pepper, almond extract and sour profiles, and I don't like any hint of cigarette tobacco, campfire, ammonia (obviously) or papery character.

Bolivar is an interesting profile, combining some of the darker characters, but with that citrus line built in, it always has me trying to decide if I love it or not. I think I do. Love the PSP2, PL Montecarlos, ERDM Choix Supreme, and many others.