The Cult of the Big Cigar is in Full Swing

It was on the Monday that I took my contingent to Conde de Villanueva to check out some customs.

The thinnest ring gauge I could find was 52. The largest a 60. It was very busy so I didn't hang around too long to chat but I did so later in the week.

I also had a chat to Hamlet who confirmed my suspicions.

Approximately 95% of all Custom Cigar requests are gauged 50 ring gauge and above confused.gif

Now most of the rollers in the Divans have "ready to go" customs for purchase and it reflects the customer wants. A small cigar is a Robusto.

Mons is almost the exception with his excellent monsdales.

If you have a good relationship with the rollers, they will roll you what you like and Hamlet certainly gifted me some 8 inch x 42 classics as he knows I enjoy them. I know he hates rollin them rotfl.gif

I did pick up some very good Corona Larga from Yolanda as i just couldn't bring myself to smoke a monolith. All in all I found the tobacco to be smoking very wet this trip and a large cigar often became a struggle to kep it lit.

The market certainly continues down the "Big is Beautiful" track!

Yeah, I've never bought so many large RG cigars as I did in Havana, wow. I'm usually not a fan of big RG cigars, but I couldn't resist as the ones I tried were outstanding. However, I couldn't fathom getting the 60+ RG Reynaldo that Enis (sp?, sorry) got and kept showing us all!?! LOL

That's a shame. Last February Reinaldo had some great lanceros in his shop. I was planning on getting more next feb. I suppose it makes sense for the shop rollers too to make bigger cigars though. A 7 X 54 cigar takes no longer to roll than a 7 X 42 and they can charge twice as much for it. The cost of the extra tobacco is tiny.

It was good to see that lonsdales, petit coronas, lanceros and coronas were available for sale at the custom roller tables in Miramar and Havana Central.

Reynaldo usually has lanceros and petit coronas available as well. He just doesn't show them first.

Not a big fan of the fat ring gauge cigars. I remember when I went to see Reynaldo last year and he showed me this monstrosity he called the Elephant foot. It has gigantic, in terms of ring gauge. I asked him do people buy them and he said with conviction, yes, ABSOLUTELY!!! We sell out of the large ring gauge cigars much faster than the smaller ring gauge.

Thank goodness he had my order of lanceros though.. ;)

Hamlet also had some long and skinnies for me to smoke. As he gave them to me, he said something in Spanish that I know wasn't 'it was a pleasure rolling these.' LOL

I bought 4 elephant foots and smoked 2 in Cuba. I brought the other 2 home but god knows why as you can't get away with smoking them anywhere but Cuba without looking like a total arse.

The one thing I learnt from buying in Reynaldos is to ask them to cut them in the shop as most cutters aren't big enough to get a decent cut and a hard draw on a big cigar is a painful experience!

Chuck aka Tampa turned me on to long and skinnies. I was at a cigar event in Pa this past year and Rocky Patel was there. I was taking a pic of my friend with Rocky and I yelled to him, "bring back the long and skinnies." He just looked at me. Buy up as many of the skinnies as you can because it will be years until this fad ends.

Well think about it this way. We know the majority of the consumption is the US market. The US market has also been predisposed to the big RG cigars over time, so makes sense that the crossover smokers will want the big cigars.

As for Asians and others, maybe they want value for tobacco, so they get the biggest cigars. :D

There is a novelty aura around the big RGs still. Think about how many Coronas you can find versus Sublimes.

My top size right now is a lonsdale, but a good chunk of my $s are going to sublimes, 109s, etc. because they aren't always around and I like to have a mix.

The mistake (for my part) for HSA is to think the $s chasing the big ones indicate a permanent buying shift. Ill have more coronas, lonsdales, lanceros etc. in my humi, but if a sublime comes out I'm chasing it down. If sublimes flooded the market and lonsdales were hard to find (really hope this isn't where we are heading)... I'd be chasing lonsdales.

Still, none of that explains a 60RG which is just batsh!t crazy.

This really saddens me. There's just something about a corona, lonsdale, or lancero that feels right in the hand.

Agreed. To me a corona is a cigar ! Choices are very limited now. Anything over 50 rg just seems a bit too much.

When I was offered a cigar at a recent gathering, I was dismissed when I wanted a PC. I was told "once you go to 50 ring gauge, you won't go back. It smokes cooler and hence is more pleasant." All I know is bigger ring gauge equals bigger price, equals bigger profits. I do enjoy Robustos but I won't go bigger as there is a limit to how much I will smoke in one sitting before wanting to drop the cigar and do something else.

If people want massive cigars then so be it, I know I don't...had a Robusto the other day and was just thinking even that was borderline too big. Love Lonsdales and dahlias my self and if people want a short smoke then the Reyes, RASCC and Shorts are great. I'll only get concerned it is obvious that the best tobacco starts to go to just the big boys...I have a feeling a bit like wine that the massive RG thing could be a phase, just like big Rhone wines etc were

When I was offered a cigar at a recent gathering, I was dismissed when I wanted a PC. I was told "once you go to 50 ring gauge, you won't go back. It smokes cooler and hence is more pleasant.

That's the point when you need to throw your drink in the face of the guy and shout 'You told me you loved me!' and storm out biggrin.png

It's what I find leaves a nasty aftertaste about the general UK (Mostly London) cigar scene although there are excellent exceptions (Fox etc), people tell you what you should enjoy and look down at you if you don't agree with them. I'm just happy I found a group of real cigar smokers and great people who run against that trend.

I no longer get offended when someone says: " Hey is that a cigar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

The answer is yes and yes!

Haboners 2013

People on this very board go all googely-eyed over the 55RG Monte 520.... 'nough said.

Exactly what I was thinking.

They keep making them because people keep buying them.

The demographic that truly prefers lonsdales, dalias, coronas, laguito #1/#2, panatelas, ninfas, etc., etc..... represent only a very small portion of the smokers out there.

I think a lot of the vitolas out there stayed on the shelves for quite a while.... until they were discontinued.