La Escepcion Wowww, what a smoke .

Fantastic Guy, wonderful review. Thank you so much for writing it.

While I will likely not smoke one of these I found your review redolent of many slim ring cigars no longer in the catalogue. I don't wish to detract from your experience, nor your cigar, but it is a damn shame that what many of us used to enjoy regularly with these vitolas are now relegated to the few that are churned out at a premium price and called RE's and the handful that are left in the catalogue.

Thanks for sharing my friend. -Ray

it is a damn shame that what many of us used to enjoy regularly with these vitolas are now relegated to the few that are churned out at a premium price and called RE's and the handful that are left in the catalogue.

Ray,

YES , I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Our regulars of yesterday have become today's luxury.

Yesterday a regular farm chicken normally feed and grown is today " gastronomy"

Great foods and dishs that our mother or grandmother used to cook for us on a weekly basis are today's three stars gourmet meals with a high price tag.

As for cigars, it's the same ,cigars such as, lonsdales, slim Panatellas, long & skinnies like ERdM-Elegantes or RG-Slenderellas were everywhere and in all brands, Bolivar Gold Medals were in the very middle range of the line. Ramon Allones-Allones Extras were also, they were nothing fancy. Etc: Etc: They were to be considered like today's Partagas de Luxe or Coronas Senior. In a few years we may see them as EL,ER's. I'm almost sure.

As a Corona Gorda guy, I've seen quite a few disappear and that's not to mention that at one time Punch alone had 4 Corona Gordas in it's line.

However, there are a few things that are working for La Escepcion compared to the others and it's the fact that there has never before been a Selectos Finos in the brand but also that they managed to recreate a unique character that was the trademark of the brand , at the time, the brand was really too strong and almost unsmokable,Also, the packaging is not the same either but they kept it in the same spirit. for that I give them credit.

For me, the REAL problem is not the fact that they are coming out with the old brands or vitolas and coming out with EL&ER's,nor that they are discontiuing some cigars in the middle range, it's that they are NOT replacing them by other middle range productions.

Example: Ramon Allones-19 regular production cigars compared to only 3 today.

That's where the real problem is.

Ray,

YES , I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Our regulars of yesterday have become today's luxury.

Yesterday a regular farm chicken normally feed and grown is today " gastronomy"

Great foods and dishs that our mother or grandmother used to cook for us on a weekly basis are today's three stars gourmet meals with a high price tag.

As for cigars, it's the same ,cigars such as, lonsdales, slim Panatellas, long & skinnies like ERdM-Elegantes or RG-Slenderellas were everywhere and in all brands, Bolivar Gold Medals were in the very middle range of the line. Ramon Allones-Allones Extras were also, they were nothing fancy. Etc: Etc: They were to be considered like today's Partagas de Luxe or Coronas Senior. In a few years we may see them as EL,ER's. I'm almost sure.

As a Corona Gorda guy, I've seen quite a few disappear and that's not to mention that at one time Punch alone had 4 Corona Gordas in it's line.

However, there are a few things that are working for La Escepcion compared to the others and it's the fact that there has never before been a Selectos Finos in the brand but also that they managed to recreate a unique character that was the trademark of the brand , at the time, the brand was really too strong and almost unsmokable,Also, the packaging is not the same either but they kept it in the same spirit. for that I give them credit.

For me, the REAL problem is not the fact that they are coming out with the old brands or vitolas and coming out with EL&ER's,nor that they are discontiuing some cigars in the middle range, it's that they are NOT replacing them by other middle range productions.

Example: Ramon Allones-19 regular production cigars compared to only 3 today.

That's where the real problem is.

Right on the money as usual my friend. The downfall of the cigar will be an attempt to make it a luxury item over a "commoner's" item. I have spent the last decade on the internet attempting to teach this to others. My efforts have not slowed or even effected the cancelations. I am only glad that some of my friends got to try the cigars that us "commoners" used to enjoy before becoming extinct. That is something that I am proud of.

-Ray

You mean to say you guys don't appreciate a $30 Laguito No. 4 (BHK 52)????? :)

I do regret the fact that as a newcomer to CC's I will most likely never taste what was considered a REAL Cuban cigar. Not just because of so many deletions, but because of what Guy has written about with the changing of the type of tobacco used due to disease etc...

Find any box pre-99 and you'll get a glimpse. But recent boxes post-07 have been really superb IMO. HSA has done a great job.

Please don't forget that if we look at this purely in terms of corporations, HSA has been around for more than 50yrs, and as a company carrying brands with lines compared to other companies, not a lot of lines make it alive for such a long time. I mean, the only thing I can think of is Coke-a-Cola. Seriously, what other company has a brand whose line has survived for more than several decades? Not many.

HSA is a business. Not a charity. Some things work, others don't. Would be terrible business management to keep putting money into a failing subsidiary. Hand it to operation management at Altadis to do the analysis and make the tough decisions for the business as a whole.

Congrats for the review.

Please translate it into Italian so I can post it on the Italian board :-)