Zino Davidoff, what do you think about him?

Zino Davidoff, wanker or . . . ?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For lord knows what reason, I read Zino Davidoff's book on cigar smoking nearly 15 years before starting to smoke cigars. I had more or less forgotten about the book and its contents, but something sparked a memory the other day.

In Davidoff's book, he recommends, in fact admonishes the reader not to smoke a cigar past the halfway point. My brief look online didn't lead me to the exact text I remembered, but he denigrates people who smoke cigars to the nub, suggesting they are vulgar.

Two things occurred to me. First, were cigars blended so that smoking them past the halfway point lead to poor taste? I don't remember Davidoff's reasoning, except his condescending attitude to the low class cigar chewer. Second, were cigars relatively less expensive, that one would feel it OK to throw out what might be an enjoyable second half of a cigar?

Davidoff also had rules such as: don't smoke while walking, hold the cigar between the thumb and index finger never between two fingers, etc.

So . . . what do you think about this guy, and have you read his book?

Best,

Pete

Update: Dec 5, after reading everybody's comments (thanks), I thought I should make it more clear that I'm not exactly sure what to think of Davidoff's book. (Hence the poll.) When I read it, I remember being quite impressed and becoming quite interested cigars. I really can't recall why I took the book out from the library, because I had not smoked any cigars and had no concrete plans to start. I recall, at the time, I thought his advice about smoking only the first half or so of a cigar was something based on how they were blended. I analogized it to advice not to, say, mix coca-cola with good scotch. However, as I started smoking cigars, it made little sense to me, because many cigars seemed to be fine even past the halfway point. And, I should say, somewhat embarrassingly, that I did take Davidoff's advice seriously. The first time I went to smoke cigars with friends, I assumed they knew nothing about good cigars since they smoked them down to the nub.

I was pleased to see Alex's very interesting response,

"If one takes into consideration that at Davidoff's time it was the era of mild but aromatic quality blends, any increase in both strength and body over the length of the cigar was probably not considered a desirable effect, and thus not appreciated. (Besides, most connoisseurs would smoke not just one cigar a day, which has more or less become the norm in our time.)"
  • Like 1

I'd certainly agree with "not walking" advice - I need to focus on a cigar to fully enjoy it, never understood the "good cigar while mowing your lawn" crowd.. maybe to satisfy nicotine craving...

Holding cigar between index finger and a thumb comes to me naturally...i always hold them like that.

And smoking only to a half point is certainly not a general rule i'd subscribe to, but there's plenty of cigars that fizzle out after first 3rd, even more gets too hot/harsh after, say, 2/3rd's... but plenty smokes just beuatiful all the way to the nub... hehe just like the ERDM Choix supreme that is burning my finges as i write this...

What does he say about taking bands off? I honestly can't smoke a cigar with band on, just doesnt feel right to touch for me... even if that means torn wrapper, i have to take them off :>

Zino who? :confused::lol:

...In Davidoff's book, he recommends, in fact admonishes the reader not to smoke a cigar past the halfway point. My brief look online didn't lead me to the exact text I remembered, but he denigrates people who smoke cigars to the nub, suggesting they are vulgar...

After reading your comment I have to say he must be a wanker (IMO). There are many delicious flavours available only in the very end of many cigars. Well, maybe not in NC's - I'm not so sure and I'm not very interested to try... :lookaround:

I found the book an interesting read. The man obviously knew his stuff. Agree with not walking while smoking (for me anyway) but some of the other advice is a bit odd. The only advice you really need is to enjoy your cigar and be respectful of those around you.

I loved the quotes in the back of the book. There's one in particular - will find it and post when I get home tonight.

In Davidoff's book, he recommends, in fact admonishes the reader not to smoke a cigar past the halfway point. My brief look online didn't lead me to the exact text I remembered, but he denigrates people who smoke cigars to the nub, suggesting they are vulgar.

Best,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you only by the fact that I'm sure you did not read

that part exactly the way it was written.

What Davidoff said on that suject was that he heard some rich people refusing to buy Corona sized

cigars on Davidoff's advice, saying that they were not long enough and that the Corona size

was the size of the cigar that they threw away after smoking.

If you read the book again, you would not affirm as something he said or advised.

I've had the book since 1974 and I remember it well.

Davidoff was a generous and cultivated person. What Davidoff and Dunhill did for the Cuban cigar

during and after WW2 was truly remarkable for those days and even today , the name of Davidoff and

Dunhill are part of the heritage of Habanos.

The only mistake they both made was to think that because their name was on the cigar band, they

owned the name. They forgot that having a cigar made under their name was just an honor given by

the cubans but they were in no way owners.Both brands stayed the property of Cuba.

• Like 4

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you only by the fact that I'm sure you did not read

that part exactly the way it was written.

What Davidoff said on that suject was that he heard some rich people refusing to buy Corona sized

cigars on Davidoff's advice, saying that they were not long enough and that the Corona size

was the size of the cigar that they threw away after smoking.

If you read the book again, you would not affirm as something he said or advised.

I've had the book since 1974 and I remember it well.

Davidoff was a generous and cultivated person. What Davidoff and Dunhill did for the Cuban cigar

during and after WW2 was truly remarkable for those days and even today , the name of Davidoff and

Dunhill are part of the heritage of Habanos.

The only mistake they both made was to think that because their name was on the cigar band, they

owned the name. They forgot that having a cigar made under their name was just an honor given by

the cubans but they were in no way owners.Both brands stayed the property of Cuba.

Well said Guy :clap::clap:

I think most should stop 1/2 way, because most people smoke WAY too fast, get the cigar WAY too hot, and basically ruin the cigar. By the time they get to the 1/2 point, the cigar is so hot I don't know how it is enjoyable. I know a couple cigar smokers who say "every cigars tastes the same." That's because they smoke it way too fast. And I am guilty of it at times as well.

As for not smoking past the 1/2 way point because it is vulgar, that's BS. Smoke the cigar until it is no longer enjoyable.

As for smoking while walking...Well, I love having cigars when I golf. When I golf, when I drive....just about any time and any where.

The brand is built for the "social elite." Smoking a Davidoff is a status symbol.

I'm a RASS man because I just enjoy amazing flavor for ~$6-7 USD. I don't care if you've never heard of it (speaking to the Davidoff snob of course!)

I have his book and read it with the understanding of the time frame it was written during. Zino has had a significant impact on cigar culture and while he's been out of the picture for quite a while I don't think we'd be where we're at, which is the true appreciation of a fine cigar, without his initial guidance.

I wish I knew him... This is just one mans opinion but from what little I know and as guy pointed out davioff and dunhill were quite impactful historically. I also think that his words were probably more apropos or reflected his times...

I need to read his book now from end to end

Smoke the way you find it enjoyable. If that means walking, mowing the lawn, in the company of friends or whilst wearing women's underwear, then more power to you. The day I find smoking cigars no longer enjoyable, is the day I quit.

On Saturday night I nubbed my HdM du Gourmet whilst taking a walk around Circular Quay, enjoying the view. I found it quiet relaxing after a long week. IMHO, if you find that unseemly or uncouth, then you can cram it with walnuts! :D

• Like 2

I have to get this book or download it. Sounds fabulous. Davidoff was/is a man of his time and class. Would you call the Queen of England or Princess of Monaco a wanker? Maybe so but it would short sighted as these people walk in circles most of us cannot imagine (or at least I can't). Cognac masters must have their own rituals too that seem bizarre... I know we in the coffee business do a lot of spitting :-)

CB

• Like 1

The only reason I rarely walk and smoke is because I usually end up ruining the cigar! (drawing too quickly, wind etc)

Davidoff was a man of his time, so you do need to keep that in mind when reading. I found his comments on the superiority of Cuban cigars really interesting.

I read his book, "The Cigar Connoisseur's Companion" many moons ago and greatly respect this Legend in cigar history. As for his admonishment of smoking a cigar past the halfway mark - I'm so glad to find other cigar lovers who disagree with this statement also! :2thumbs:

If one takes into concideration that at Davidoff's time it was the era of mild but aromatic quality blends, any increase in both strength and body over the length of the cigar was probably not considerd a desirable effect, and thus not appreciated. (Besides, most connaisseurs would smoke not just one cigar a day, which has more or less become the norm in our time.)

Outdoors smoking, when walking can be tricky - Partagas Shorts, regardless of the climate will not let you down - but, if memory serves right, my '03 des Dieux would not tolerate cold or windy conditions at all.

I tend to think there is more examples which would fall in the latter category.

As to Davidoff as a person (of course I only know his book),

behind everything he wrote I sense a great passion, and, like Guy (laficion) has pointed out, one should recognize his efforts and accomplishments for the cuban cigar industry rather than getting tied up with the man's strong ego, which (as a rule) you always find with grand characters alike.

Best, Alex

• Like 2

I found the remark about which fingers to hold your cigar with hysterical. Who gives a $! how you hold it? If I want to smoke my cigar with my feet like a monkey, I'll do it and could care less what anyone thinks. This is probably why I don't get invited to parties often. Well, that and the cops always show up.

• Like 1

I found the remark about which fingers to hold your cigar with hysterical. Who gives a {:content:}amp;#! how you hold it?

Again, see it in the time:

Davidoff was born in 1906, which implies that his parents, his whole upbringing and education was 19th century style.

Times change, of course, so, don`t judge it from today's perspective. :peace:

• Like 1

Again, see it in the time:

Davidoff was born in 1906, which implies that his parents, his whole upbringing and education was 19th century style.

Times change, of course, so, don`t judge it from today's perspective. :peace:

Oh I totally get it. I was brought up with fine etiquette. I know which fork/spoon/knife to use etc... I can manage to act like a classy guy long enough to make it through most proper events. But there are some things that are just out of date like which fingers to hold your cigar with. I just found it funny when I imagined people today worrying about such things.

• Like 1

There are many reasons to either like or dislike a man who is, in some ways, Bigger Than Life. The man had a huge huge impact on the Cuban cigar industry and one thing we are forgetting is how close we came to losing many of the Cuban cigar brands we so enjoy today. Castro, after the revolution, wanted to do away with all of the different cigar brands, beautiful packaging and only keep one or 4 different brands and reduce the number of sizes rolled to, I think 4. Please don't quote me on this, its been a while since I read this in one of my many cigar books and can't locate the exact passage this morning.

But.........

I believe that Castro went to Switzerland and had a meeting with Zino who talked him into keeping the brands, sizes and packaging intact. We really DID come close there and Zino's opinion, at the time, is the reason why we have 30 plus brands out of Cuba today. Imagine a world with only 1 or 4 Cuban cigar brands, bland packaging and only a few sizes and shapes.

So say what you will about his rules about cigar etiquette, we live in a different era now anyway and should simply move forward and accept the fact that its no longer a sin to smoke a Cuban down to the nub. I think that cigars taste great when 1/2 an inch long and will continue to smoke however I want. Band or no band means very little to me and neither is the size of a cigar a man can smoke.

I love this site and this was a great topic. Thanks!

• Like 1

I don't know Joey, it looks like even monkeys follow the etiquette prescribed by Zino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBSUJvpikE&feature=related

I think I know that guy..........no, on second thought he's not throwing feces.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631759,-87.070571

Good one, John,

make that a proud outlaw :2thumbs:

Nino ( certainly not Zino )

PS : Thank s for the idea - will use it as my new avatar ..

We can say that Nino is an outlaw ... :D

ccc christmas dinner 1211 25.jpg

• Like 1