Zino Davidoff, what do you think about him?

Zino Davidoff, wanker or . . . ?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh I totally get it. I was brought up with fine etiquette. I know which fork/spoon/knife to use etc... I can manage to act like a classy guy long enough to make it through most proper events. But there are some things that are just out of date like which fingers to hold your cigar with. I just found it funny when I imagined people today worrying about such things.

I am sure some ppl still think about these things, just not those in the social circles that I usually hang out with...

If one takes into concideration that at Davidoff's time it was the era of mild but aromatic quality blends, any increase in both strength and body over the length of the cigar was probably not considerd a desirable effect, and thus not appreciated. (Besides, most connaisseurs would smoke not just one cigar a day, which has more or less become the norm in our time.)

Thanks Alex, I thought your comment was quite interesting. Besides manners, I suspected Davidoff's advice and criticism about when to end a cigar had some basis in taste. I would say, however, regardless of the time, it does strike me as a little uncalled for to criticize someone just because they enjoy the final half of a cigar, and to further call him a "brute."

Ciao,

Pete

Davidoff wrote that in another era. Most of what he said is cultural etiquette for a culture that is virtually gone, not a manual for cigar-lovers. I'd love to visit that era, but am glad I live in this one.

Be careful calling him a "wanker" just because what he wrote seems funny to us now. This wasn't written in 2009 by an Aussie or an American. If someone were to write this TODAY, saying that this is how one "should" behave when smoking a cigar ... then sure we could all mock it endlessly, and rightfully so. But let's cut the guy born to an 1800's aristocratic family a brake. I mean come on, not only was this guy a great cigar manufacturer and highly responsible for the popularity of cigars in Europe from the '30s on, but he invented the desktop humidor for crying out loud!

• Like 2

Davidoff wrote that in another era. Most of what he said is cultural etiquette for a culture that is virtually gone, not a manual for cigar-lovers. I'd love to visit that era, but am glad I live in this one.

Be careful calling him a "wanker" just because what he wrote seems funny to us now. This wasn't written in 2009 by an Aussie or an American. If someone were to write this TODAY, saying that this is how one "should" behave when smoking a cigar ... then sure we could all mock it endlessly, and rightfully so. But let's cut the guy born to an 1800's aristocratic family a brake. I mean come on, not only was this guy a great cigar manufacturer and highly responsible for the popularity of cigars in Europe from the '30s on, but he invented the desktop humidor for crying out loud!

+1

Well said - couldn't agree more.

This! that makes it +3!!

Even from todays perpective his writing can be a practical tool on etiquette. Nothing wrong with 'knowing the rules' and certainly better for 'bending the rules to a more comfortable personal fit'.

I read his book. He makes some good points, but he is overly anal on certain things (like smoking a cigar past the half-way point, or smoking with the band on). Really? Who cares?! I voted that he is a snob but also an important figure in cigar history.

I heard the cuban Davidoffs were a great cigar. Nowadays, nobody smokes the Dominican version, they are overpriced crap and not even CA magazine gives them any publicity.

I heard the cuban Davidoffs were a great cigar. Nowadays, nobody smokes the Dominican version, they are overpriced crap and not even CA magazine gives them any publicity.

I do not agree with this... I love them and enjoyed them with many guys at Iwan Ries in Chicago too (they bought them in 3 packs). For my 50th birthday earlier this year I had the pleasure of smoking a Cuban Davidoff Dom Peringnon and it was spectacular.

CB

• Like 2

I do not agree with this... I love them and enjoyed them with many guys at Iwan Ries in Chicago too (they bought them in 3 packs). For my 50th birthday earlier this year I had the pleasure of smoking a Cuban Davidoff Dom Peringnon and it was spectacular.

CB

Agreed. While I would call them overpriced in most cases, Davidoff makes good cigars ... and a few great ones. I'd expect Cuban cigar lovers to be more interested in them really, because he always tried to blend closer to those flavor profiles (milder and creamy with a lot of floral notes, etc). A lot of my "strong Nicaraguan cigar" buddies don't care for them because they're too mild, just as they don't like a lot of Habanos for the same reason.

Davidoffs also age extremely well for NCs (much like Fuentes, though I prefer the Fuente's sticks typically), and I have some Grand Cru coronas from 2002 that are very buttery and delicious.

As I smoked a Qd'O while reading my Kobo this evening I was thinking about this thread. I held my cigar with my thumb and index finger and smoked just the first half or whatever (I did finish but I was thinking about this portion).

First of all, if you hold your cigar this way and you have a manicure, you will not risk the cigar/smoke staining your nails as they have for me in the past, and your hands will not get as smelly from the cigar. Not exactly the most manly issue, but Zino Davidoff was a gentleman's gentleman. Also, if you smoke only the first half, the ashes will not start flying on your suit as much and the cigar does start getting very strong.

I finished my cigar as always, and enjoyed it by our fireplace. But it was an interesting experiment in Davidoff role playing :king:

Interesting, I shall try that. Thanks for the post.

Best,

Michel

As I smoked a Qd'O while reading my Kobo this evening I was thinking about this thread. I held my cigar with my thumb and index finger and smoked just the first half or whatever (I did finish but I was thinking about this portion).

First of all, if you hold your cigar this way and you have a manicure, you will not risk the cigar/smoke staining your nails as they have for me in the past, and your hands will not get as smelly from the cigar. Not exactly the most manly issue, but Zino Davidoff was a gentleman's gentleman. Also, if you smoke only the first half, the ashes will not start flying on your suit as much and the cigar does start getting very strong.

I finished my cigar as always, and enjoyed it by our fireplace. But it was an interesting experiment in Davidoff role playing :king:

CB

I agree with her

The davisoffs of today are good cigars. They have a very good LB profile that the cubans don't at the moment.

Habanos will never make cigars on the consistency level of taste and construction (I wish) as the davidoff/zino lines.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

He was an a gentleman, and aficionado. I agree with those who stated previously he was from and wrote in a time. I still enjoy today's Dominican Davidoff blends and his Cuban blends are my white whales.

This is a true statement, Davidoff was of his time and he did what was necessary to promote his cigars business with great success.

• Like 2