Ramon Allones 898 - Circa 2002

asmith

A great friends of our Matt Ayers was in town the other day and he dropped off three Ramon Allones 898s for us to try. Unfortunately one of them was meant for Ken but we didn't invite him so Warren got the call up.

Great review of a future legend! This cigar was sadly wasted on me when I smoked it almost two years ago, or maybe I just had a bad one. I remember being excited when we found 2 smokeable sticks hidden in a small humidor in a B&M in Cuba. The rest was sadly moldy and/or completely raped by beetles, otherwise we might have brought the box back home. Got a 10-count box of 2003 Partagas 898's instead, which are a decent replacement.

I like Rob's idea of just limiting the quantity of certain cigars and thus keeping quality high, sales stable and stock low.

But let's face it. It's Ramon Allones.... so we can expect the 898's to show up as a Regional Release any day now :rotfl:

These are outstanding. I have a few resting for the last few years. Smoked one about a year ago and it was so fruity. I think it is the only time I really tasted stone fruit. I think everytime I smoke a RA I am looking for that flavor profile and I never really find it. I have been on an 898 format kick lately. Would love a box of these.

Thank you

Kwg116

Jesus Ken... what you will put up with! Mate next time you are in town we break into these mate.

post-79-1305902134.jpg

:rotfl::huh::D:):P

Jesus Ken... what you will put up with! Mate next time you are in town we break into these.

post-79-1305902134.jpg

Name not Ken, but I just purchased a plane ticket. Will be knocking on your door any minute now.

Great review. I've had the pleasure of smoking a couple of these and they were very good. Shame they were discontinued. I'd love to see the RA line up expanded a little, not a ton, but just a little. I think they need to bring these back and add a belicoso to their range. They wouldn't have a a problem selling these.

Jesus Ken... what you will put up with! Mate next time you are in town we break into these.

post-79-1305902134.jpg

WOW! Those look amazing. That is a cigar I've never had the opportunity to try. Well, I'm sure I've had the opportunity since I've been smoking CCs since the mid-90s, but I never took advantage of that opportunity. Oh well.

Awesome guys, these are in my top 3 and interestingly it's one of the few cigars that I feel pair exceptionally well WITH red wine. For me, they almost have a red wine type of finish on the palatte that lingers for days. And Rob, remember our conversation about mouthfeel during the VR Maestro review, I think this cigar sets the standard on smoke viscosity. They consistently deliver smoke thick enough to cut with a knife AND with a mesmerizing flavor profile to boot. Truly exceptional cigars built for the long haul. I only have about 30 of them left and each one of them will be savored.

Awesome guys, these are in my top 3 and interestingly it's one of the few cigars that I feel pair exceptionally well WITH red wine. For me, they almost have a red wine type of finish on the palatte that lingers for days.

I made the same observation in a review that I wrote many years ago. The finish is reminiscent of red wine. I burned one of these this afternoon, the first I've had in quite a while. Not quite as spicy as it was when younger, but a very savory cigar indeed. It has a flavor profile that is unlike anything else. Superb.

My October, 2005 review:

“A Feast for the Sensesâ€

I love the ritual that accompanies the taking of each Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Barnizado: The varnished box is reminiscent of an antique jewel case. I lift it from the humidor, unlatch the brass clasp, and then gently open the lid. I eagerly fold back the waxed paper to reveal the classic beauty of the 8-9-8 presentation, enjoying how the bright yellow ribbon contrasts sharply with the dark, mottled brown cigars. Even the band is timeless, a Ramon Allones “family crest†in rich gold, red, white and brown. I feel that I have invited an honored guest, a well-dressed gentleman from another era, into my home.

As I raise the open box to inhale, I embrace the deep, generous, inviting aromas. The essences are of age and fermentation, as if I have stepped into a dank wooden root cellar, redolent of earth and preserved fruits and vegetables. Simply decadent, I think. I select the “ripest†candidate, like I would choose a plump fruit for dessert.

The Dalia is one of my favorite vitolas, second only to the Corona Gorda. I love how firm and smooth my 8-9-8 feels as I roll it between my fingers; the way it greets my lips like a lover. After moistening the cap in my mouth, I clip it, noting the unusually dense and springy tobacco. My companion ignites readily, and burns very slowly, allowing me to savor it more deliberately than I would an “ordinary†cigar. The burn was razor sharp, and although the draw was a bit firmer than I prefer, I don’t mind a bit. The experience is mesmerizing.

More than anything else, a well-aged Ramon Allones reminds me of the smells and tastes of the holiday season. Scented candles burning on the mantle. Pots of steaming apple cider spiced with cinnamon sticks, lemon peel, cloves and honey. Trays of freshly baked tarts, filled with preserved raisins, apricots and prunes. A dark bittersweet chocolate bundt cake crowned with walnuts and candied cherries. And, of course, cedar logs blazing in a stone fireplace.

All too soon, my friend had to leave. But he had a parting gift. The finish was just like a mug of hot mulled wine: strong, dark and fruity, culminating with a residue of tannic allspice. And just enough nicotine to leave me gently intoxicated. I leaned back in my chair, full and completely satisfied.

Sadly, the Ramon Allones 8-9-8 is on the endangered species list, and there is no telling if it will be resurrected. If you haven’t experienced this classic gift from the island, you owe it to yourself while they are still available.

Discontinued in 2002, though some were found & boxed with a late 2004 code. In my experience the 2002s are stellar, the 04s very good & 01s not so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review! I had a chance to try one o these in 2008 and it was an outstanding cigar then. It looks like they are only growing more classy with age. Thanks for sharing this.