Is All Butane Created Equal

Just a quick update on this topic. I went to my B&M this weekend and picked up a good canister of Dunhill butane. I was a bit hesitant because I would have preferred Xikar or one of the other brands suggested but I figured for the $9 asking it was worth a shot.

Holly crap, what a difference. I emptied my brand new Xikar table top and refilled with this stuff. Fires up every time and has a much brighter even flame. Then I thought for a true test I grabbed a Nibo $20 lighter I picked up last year that I had written off, bled the tank and refilled. First click flamed right up. Unbelievable!!!

Good advice from the FOH crew as per usual. Buy good Butane it’s worth the money.

G

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only used Ronson in my DuPont and it never fails, used multiple times daily for over 2 years.

I feel ya. I was out of butane for the weekend and I usually use the Vector 5x filtered but decided for a pinch I would grab the Ronsen stuff. WOW was that stuff bad. Totally stuffed up the lighter, hardly light first time and was just crap all around. Went out a few days later and bought some more Vector and the Xicar is back to firing up first time, luckily I didn't gum up the lines which I hear can happen from that bad butane. To answer your question no not all butane is created equal.

• 1 month later...

I use Xikar butane in my Xikar Element lighter and have not had any problems. Stick to triple refined or higher and you will be fine.

I have two Xikar lighters and use Xikar butane only for both of them. One time I was buying a cigar at the local shop and my lighter was low. The gentlemen behind the counter offered to refill it for me and grabbed the cheapest no name brand possible and refilled my lighter. For the duration of that refill, my lighter would not work properly and had a hard time lighting. I used it up as quicky as possible and refilled with xikar butane and now it works like a charm again. So NO, all butane is not created equal.

I prefer Vector as well...quintuple filtered...

I also use vector. I just have a ronson jetlite and put it in that and do not have any problems unless I have the lighter lit for a long period of time. Then every once in a while it will go out. I did notice it does say right on the vector bottle to no add to cheap lighters such as ronson's for some reason or another but I disregarded that and have been very satisfied thus far. I'm sure vector would be great for that nice looking xicar.

Just bought some Dunhill butane for my new Vector Thundra as it's all I could get locally. If the price is anything to go by, it should be fine :2thumbs:

Try DSE or Jaycar, they sell butane for soldering irons. I get my Newport from DSE. I've only found Weller or Newport in most electronics stores, and tobacconists in SYdney mainly sell Newport. Some sell that real cheap ass butane used in portable stoves, but I'd steer well clear of those.

• 5 years later...

I'm in the market for another can of Butane, after finally finishing a couple of the big Xikar cans. Has anything changed since this was updated in 2011? I am already of the opinion that good butane matters, but is there any real difference between the top tier? Say Xikar, Vector, Colibri, and Dunhill? Other, better options?

Ronson and generic brands do not work for me,double refined is what I use.'

Xikar is one I have used with no problems,it is most important to purge the lighter first..............

I use Newport now, I don't know if it's available in the US, I prefer it to Ronson, it burns very clean. Newport is also very cheap, which I like.

The interesting thing is, there are actual reviews on the amount of impurities in butane gas now as it is used in some kind of cannabis-related drug manufacture. I'm not getting into a discussion on that.

Currently vector, formerly lava user here. No issues I can directly attribute to the fuel. I recommend purging the lighter every now and then though.

We sell Vector Premium Refined 320ml 5x filtered for $4.99 US in our Cigar Shop in FL.  Never an issue with this brand.  A note on Ronson... Probably cannot use it well anyway, as it has a smaller nozzle that leaks even with the adaptors.  One 320 ml can will last for several months!