CanuckSARTech's Cuban Collection

These are probably one of my favourite grabs from the trip - they smoked excellently (even though they were quite damp), they were somewhat hard to find, fairly inexpensive (kicking myself for not getting another box as well), and best of all, with the age on them, they're developed very nicely. You can actually see the tobacco discolouration on the wax/parchment paper insert, from the extended time-period that these have been sitting and marinating in the box. They're beautifully blended and finessed at this stage. I was wonderfully impressed (and maybe even surprised) with these - I really wished I grabbed up more of these.

La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 1, 10-box (May 2001, OSU):

post-6965-1297288375.jpg

post-6965-1297288403.jpg

post-6965-1297288568.jpg

post-6965-1297288591.jpg

post-6965-1297288614.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another beautiful grab from the trip - I was very glad to find these. While not necessarily hard to find, or overly expensive, the format and the blend is intriguing to me (LGC, but in a robusto-similar sizing), and I'm very interested to see how these develop in time, especially with this current renaissance revival, if you will, of putting cigars in porcelain or glass jars.

The packaging and presentation on these is top notch, and the aroma at cold with these, while not overpowering, still has that eminent signature to them, and leads me to keep my fingers crossed for an interesting voyage with these over the next few years.

La Gloria Cubana Deliciosos RE Cuba 2009, 25-jar (Unk. date, late 2009, jar #1285 of 2000):

post-6965-1297288891.jpg

post-6965-1297288927.jpg

post-6965-1297288957.jpg

post-6965-1297288997.jpg

post-6965-1297289027.jpg

post-6965-1297289067.jpg

post-6965-1297289093.jpg

Okay, last and definitely least is a freebie that we got at the hotel upon check-in. I think I'll mail these to Pres as a post-Christmas gift.... ;)

post-6965-1297289380.jpg

So, those are my grabs from my Cuba trip of January 2011 to Varadero. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Now, I just need to keep my fingers crossed for some decent smoking weather to arrive....

Nice score Keith!!! I wonder how the jar maintains the humidity. Do you put the whole jar in the humidor?

Yup, whole jar and box and everything is in my larger / long-term cooler-dor. I didn't bother to saturate the humidification element in the lid of the jar - a waste relatively, I think, to use those sponge ones anymore. But, all the sticks are in the jar, closed lid kept on the jar, in the box, and in the cooler-dor. I'll visit it later this spring or summer.

I would think that the jar would be nearly perfect with the humidity. It's a very solid and quite thick ceramic jar, with a nice glossy finish (I'm thinking impermeable for water, relatively), and the seal on the lid is a harder rubber/softer plastic, with 3 ridges or so, and makes a great seal contact. But I've got it in my cooler for now, just in case. I'll put a digital hygrometer in it later on this spring/summer, once our air's humidity levels out again, and it wouldn't be as much of a drying-out shock to the cigars if the seal isn't great.

Yup, whole jar and box and everything is in my larger / long-term cooler-dor. I didn't bother to saturate the humidification element in the lid of the jar - a waste relatively, I think, to use those sponge ones anymore. But, all the sticks are in the jar, closed lid kept on the jar, in the box, and in the cooler-dor. I'll visit it later this spring or summer.

I would think that the jar would be nearly perfect with the humidity. It's a very solid and quite thick ceramic jar, with a nice glossy finish (I'm thinking impermeable for water, relatively), and the seal on the lid is a harder rubber/softer plastic, with 3 ridges or so, and makes a great seal contact. But I've got it in my cooler for now, just in case. I'll put a digital hygrometer in it later on this spring/summer, once our air's humidity levels out again, and it wouldn't be as much of a drying-out shock to the cigars if the seal isn't great.

My humi is full so any jars I get I replace the foam element with beads and store them like that. Works fine so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, it's been quite a while since I've updated this thread now. I've got a few messages asking if I had anymore updates to here, as a few know I've been making some recent grabs, now that I'm done basic training and whatnot.

I'm currently stuck out in Nova Scotia for another week and a bit. When I get home, I've got a bunch of updating that I'll do with this, and show some nice new Czar's grabs. Trust me, my wife's mentioned none-to-nicely that she's sitting on about a dozen shipping boxes of miscellaneous stuff that she wants me to get organized and stored away, rather than sitting out and about!

So, in about two weeks, I'll have some updates on here for all.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so without much further ado, I bring you some updates. Sorry again for some lackluster digital photos - still using my wife's crappy little digital, no new toy for that yet (maybe Christmas).

But it's been a mad while since I put any new grabs up here. And I've got some real beauties lately from Czar's and other suppliers. Some great stuff out there right now.

Up first here, which I don't normally post, is from a box split that I did with Bundwallah and CDNeh. Frank and Stephen and I split an absolutely beautiful box of PSP Lusi's that we managed to get near the start of the year. We gave Lisa a heck of a list for the three of us to "group buy", and she's been filling it for us with some beautiful grabs. Lovely stuff this year....

From a February LFTH purchase from Czar's....

Partagas Lusitanias, PSP box, dress box of 25 (Dec 2009, STA):

post-6965-0-47578800-1321384328.jpg

post-6965-0-72657500-1321384404.jpg

post-6965-0-38782400-1321384445.jpg

post-6965-0-74756900-1321384478.jpg

post-6965-0-45194200-1321384527.jpg

Alright, so without much further ado, I bring you some updates. Sorry again for some lackluster digital photos - still using my wife's crappy little digital, no new toy for that yet (maybe Christmas).

But it's been a mad while since I put any new grabs up here. And I've got some real beauties lately from Czar's and other suppliers. Some great stuff out there right now.

Up first here, which I don't normally post, is from a box split that I did with Bundwallah and CDNeh. Frank and Stephen and I split an absolutely beautiful box of PSP Lusi's that we managed to get near the start of the year. We gave Lisa a heck of a list for the three of us to "group buy", and she's been filling it for us with some beautiful grabs. Lovely stuff this year....

From a February LFTH purchase from Czar's....

Partagas Lusitanias, PSP box, dress box of 25 (Dec 2009, STA):

Stephen and I took the good sticks and left Keith with the dregs. :P

Another Bolivar Gold Medal 10-box, in a different box code (Sept 2009, MUA):

post-6965-0-13160600-1321387924.jpg

post-6965-0-25050400-1321387943.jpg

post-6965-0-76369300-1321387958.jpg

It doesn't really show in the pictures too well, but there was a slight change in the bands and the foil between the two years. I remember this being discussed somewhere here before, and I finally had the chance to see it on these two boxes.