Aging Tubos cigars.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at aging a few different CC's in tubes - Siglo VI's, H.Upmann Coronas Major, RyJ Short Churchills & Punch Coronations. Is there any considerations with regards to aging them in my Humidors, like leaving the screw tops off, or removing them completely? I'm only fairly new to cigars, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brendan.

I usually open them up to inspect the cigars, then put them in the humidor with the caps on. Some guys take the caps off-I think there was a good thread about it not too long ago. If you search it, you should be able to find it. Take care,

Jim

I take the caps off for about a week, to stabilize a bit. Then, the caps go back on and they stay in the humidor. Have no clue if this does anything, but it makes me feel good!

• Like 2

I take the caps off for about a week, to stabilize a bit. Then, the caps go back on and they stay in the humidor. Have no clue if this does anything, but it makes me feel good!

X2 :peace:

I tend not to age tubos...for some reason, I sometimes encounter mold issues with Tubos. Not often, but often enough where i wouldn't age them as I don't want to be constantly checking them. I don't get mold with my regular singles or boxes with the exception of when I tried using a Cigar Oasis for humidification.

X3

I tend to leave everything the way it is when I buy it. Right or wrong, that's how I do it.

I tend not to age tubos...for some reason, I sometimes encounter mold issues with Tubos. Not often, but often enough where i wouldn't age them as I don't want to be constantly checking them. I don't get mold with my regular singles or boxes with the exception of when I tried using a Cigar Oasis for humidification.

Come to think of it, the only mold problem I ever had was with tubos.

I agree! I had never had a mold issue until I used the cigar oasis. Sent the damn thing back...sorry piece of crap. I too smoke tubos pretty quickly after purchase. I prefer to age cigars in their boxes without the tubes. Tubes for me are generally just a convenient form of transporting a cigar without it getting damaged.

I agree! I had never had a mold issue until I used the cigar oasis. Sent the damn thing back...sorry piece of crap. I too smoke tubos pretty quickly after purchase. I prefer to age cigars in their boxes without the tubes. Tubes for me are generally just a convenient form of transporting a cigar without it getting damaged.

Bucking the trend a little, I have a Cigar Oasis IIXL in my cabinet (200 box size, currently only holding 35 boxes) and I love it. The RH is a constant 66%, it only needs to be topped up every 3-4 weeks and everything is smoking really well. Now if I could just fill it a bit faster, that would be perfect :cigar:

My two bits.........now always take cigars out of tubes, as I had a constant mold problem (not plume) when kept in tubes.

I have a very large walk-in with auto control on both temperature and humidity.......including multiple dehumidifiers and a re-humidifier (and 4 x 6" fans on 24 hours), all controlled with a accurate humidistat.

For those interested, it is a Fantini Cosmi D40 - that separately switches to either humidify or dehumidify - can control anything up to 6 amps at 250V.......so its not incorrect humidity... :cigar:

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting a 6 year old thread apparently..   :D

Does anyone know WHY they get mold when storing cigars in their tubes???

I just picked up a box of tubos. I would love to just store them as is,  but worried that its a bad idea.  

What is it that causes mold when storing in these tubes?

Seriously - tubes are much more critical to maintaining constant temperature. Most people don't think about it much, as the tube comes so handy. But the moisture is trapped within a comparatively small volume. If packaged at higher temp (read Cuba), then shipped to destinations at comp. lower ambient temperatures, there will be constantly too high a humidity within the tubes.

So, acclimatization is critical in tubed cigars. Boxes, you toss in your humidor, and due to their permeability, will adjust comparatively quick to your respective conditions. Tubes do not.

Edit:

1 hour ago, Cep said:

So, is it common knowledge not to leave them in the tubes??

You were too quick Cep...

No, I (like quite a few other BOTLs here) always keep tubed cigars in their original tubes after a period of proper acclimatization to my conditions. No problems with mold. While you frequently receive mouldy tubes, the white bit in a freshy is rather uncritical. Whipe off, get into moisture balance and add to your storage.

Edit edit: On second consideration, the temperature bit I mentioned above has to be wrong or is at least only circumstantial. It is the excessive moisture on packaging being critical in the first place

Edited by Fugu
reconsideration
  • Like 1

cool, thx for the info guys. 

I just hope there are not lots of guys that have tubes aging and will get a nasty surprise when they are ready to smoke them.

I have some Monte Petit Tubos from '06. When I got them I inspected them and put them back in the tube and left them alone except to look at them about every 18 months or so. Never saw any mold. I got one in a box pass and it was fresh and moldy. I cleaned the mold off and put it away for years. My humidor never gets above 70 degrees F and keep it under 65% RH. No problems. I do think there is something to aging cigars in closed tubes for a long time, those MPTs were the shit last summer. 

1 hour ago, Cep said:

cool, thx for the info guys. 

I just hope there are not lots of guys that have tubes aging and will get a nasty surprise when they are ready to smoke them.

I've never had problems with tubos; I just check them like my other boxes/cabs, 3 or 4 times a year…

Had some tubos with light mold when received but never had it re-occur after wiping them off and storing them in closed tubes at my usual 62 - 65%

• Like 1

I've not ran into any problems personally, I generally take the caps off and let cigars acclimatise my humidor for a month or so they screw them back on and forget about it.

But also I've just thrown them in and haven't had issues either.

It probably mostly comes down to the temperature of where you store your sticks. Near me it never really gets near the temperatures or humidity needed for mould to get going, 

7 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Exactly like you get mold in a poorly ventilated bathroom.

Bingo.  A tubo has near zero air exchange.  Many temperature / air pressure / RH changes on it's way from Cuba to you.  You're asking for trouble.  The only cigars I've ever received with mold have been tubos.  Tubos are awesome for carrying out for the night, or a short vacation away from the humidor.  Terrible for long term storage.  Just my HO but it makes sense.  

Humid, no air exchange.  Mold.  Every damn time.

- MG

• Like 1