Rob's top 25 Habanos for 2009

For what its worth I have been requested by several members to list my top 25 Habanos for 2009. This list is based on consistency from 07/08/09 stock and from what was readily available in 09. From the list I have smoked a minimum of 5 cigars over the year and from different boxes. I took into account month to month consistency of shipments and consistency of flavour.

I have enjoyed some stunning cigars which did not make the list. Partagas D4, SLR Serie A, Monte 2, Dip 2, PLPC, BPC etc What let them down was some poor periods of construction or lack of flavour in multiple cigars throughout the year. How I would have loved to have included Connie 1's, Cohiba coronas Especiales but again there was just a tad too much inconsistency. SLR Piramides went close but they are still finding their feet.

I hope the HQ/PSP program takes much of the guesswork out of the above. The key is to identify "Cracker" cigars from those lines that can be inconsistent.

Here is the list.

1. Montecristo Especial
  2. Partagas Lusitania
  3. Trinidad Robusto "T"
  4. Punch Royal Seleccion No 11
  5. Upmann Sir Winston
  6. Upmann Magnum 48 LE
  7. Upmann Magnum 46
  8. Diplomatico no 4
  9. Cohiba Siglo IV
  10. Partags 898 Varnished
  11. Cohiba Lancero
  12. Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No 2
  13. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 2
  14. Cohiba Robusto
  15. Bolivar Corona Extra
  16. Vegas Robaina Unicos
  17. Punch Petit Punch
  18. Bolivar Corona Gigantes
  19. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 3
  20. La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2
  21. Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro
  22. Ramon Allones Specially Select
  23. Bolivar Royal Corona
  24. Juan Lopez Seleccion no 2
  25. Saint Luis Rey Regio's

Rob... is there any significance to the rank order, i.e. Monte Especials were the best?

Shrink they are in my order of preference. Of course it is subjective and many are lineball.

Re the Cohiba Gran Reserva Ryan, I simply have not smoked 5 let alone from different boxes and so it did not qualify.

well done chap. Very impressive list. I like your methodology in ranking your top 25. I wouldn't have any problem ordering a box of any of them with confidence that they will be fantastic. Really digging your reviews as well. Top Notch. Glad I was steered to this website.

Rob,

I appreciate your efforts with this list. This is a great service to Newbs and old timers alike. It's a bit of a road map for the Newbs...and something the senior members can chew on. CC's and all the marcas et all...take a bit to understand. Certainly tastes are different for different folks...but it's aread by numbers post so to speak as it relates to recent production provided by a trusted mate.

Very much appreciated.

Tom

Rob: Thanks for posting this list. I'm always curious about what current cigars are smoking well. There are a few on there I haven't smoked lately and have yet to try. Hopefully that will change soon. :)

WOW! That would be one heck of a sampler! Thanks for putting this list together. It gives me some guidance for when I place my order soon.

Thanks for putting up your list, Rob. Thanks, also, for explaining your method of selection and mentioning a few cigars that did not make the list.

In a way, the list is very reassuring. I see some cigars that I've recently purchased and others that are on my to-try list.

For what its worth I have been requested by several members to list my top 25 Habanos for 2009. This list is based on consistency from 07/08/09 stock and from what was readily available in 09. From the list I have smoked a minimum of 5 cigars over the year and from different boxes. I took into account month to month consistency of shipments and consistency of flavour.

I have enjoyed some stunning cigars which did not make the list. Partagas D4, SLR Serie A, Monte 2, Dip 2, PLPC, BPC etc What let them down was some poor periods of construction or lack of flavour in multiple cigars throughout the year. How I would have loved to have included Connie 1's, Cohiba coronas Especiales but again there was just a tad too much inconsistency. SLR Piramides went close but they are still finding their feet.

I hope the HQ/PSP program takes much of the guesswork out of the above. The key is to identify "Cracker" cigars from those lines that can be inconsistent.

Here is the list.

1. Montecristo Especial
  2. Partagas Lusitania
  3. Trinidad Robusto "T"
  4. Punch Royal Seleccion No 11
  5. Upmann Sir Winston
  6. Upmann Magnum 48 LE
  7. Upmann Magnum 46
  8. Diplomatico no 4
  9. Cohiba Siglo IV
  10. Partags 898 Varnished
  11. Cohiba Lancero
  12. Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No 2
  13. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 2
  14. Cohiba Robusto
  15. Bolivar Corona Extra
  16. Vegas Robaina Unicos
  17. Punch Petit Punch
  18. Bolivar Corona Gigantes
  19. Partagas Serie De Connaisseur No 3
  20. La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2
  21. Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro
  22. Ramon Allones Specially Select
  23. Bolivar Royal Corona
  24. Juan Lopez Seleccion no 2
  25. Saint Luis Rey Regio's

hard to argue with a lot of that though i'd have the coro's much higher. if you are including recent LE's, i'd be much more inclined to go with the monte sublimes, though i know others have had less consistency. i'm yet to have a problem. and i'd be including monte edmundos, but definitely not their petit edmundo's.

Loved them indeed. Still do. Unfortunately last years stock was very inconsistent in terms of flavour. Wasn't too far outside the 25 listed but I would currently not drop any of those 25 for them.

Shrink they are in my order of preference. Of course it is subjective and many are lineball.

Re the Cohiba Gran Reserva Ryan, I simply have not smoked 5 let alone from different boxes and so it did not qualify.

Thanks for sharing - just wondering if the same rationale applied to the RyJ Duke?...I thought it was a cracker....

Nice list Rob i am surprised at the #1 spot but hell 2 and 3 spots i have been pushing those cigars with a vengeance for the members to try here glad to see them way at the top..

Nice list Rob i am surprised at the #1 spot but hell 2 and 3 spots i have been pushing those cigars for close to a year with a vengeance for the members to try here glad to see them way at the top..