Rob's top 25 Habanos for 2009

I bet the guys that work at Cigar Aficionado would prefer this list over theres to!!!!!!!

I can't believe you rated the Diplo 4 so high?! You must be 'chasing the whole Discontinued are automatically good mythos'... LOL

Thanks for the list Rob.

I can't believe you rated the Diplo 4 so high?! You must be 'chasing the whole Discontinued are automatically good mythos'... LOL

Thanks for the list Rob.

I had some real luck with the Dip 4 in 09. Just cracker after cracker ;)

I bet he could of even put them a spot or two higher on a different day, they were hard to beat this year. I would have had over 25 of them last year and everyone was a top notch cigar. They would have been my number 1.

I bet he could of even put them a spot or two higher on a different day, they were hard to beat this year. I would have had over 25 of them last year and everyone was a top notch cigar. They would have been my number 1.

I agree 100%...

You see, some of us actually like these cigars, ALOT. It has nothing to do with them being discontinued. In fact, some of us, who again LIKE this line and who have been smoking them for years, are upset that they are being discontinued. The assertion that the reason people like these is because they are being discontinued, is just.........well, you know.

This whole line is going to disappear, and the cigar world will not be better for it.

A little surprised not to see the RyJ Dukes. I haven't smoked five of these yet, but I have found them to be quite good.

I don't disagree. I have had some crackers but also a few dudders. I think it is a tad early to take a final decision on these. If the Duke maintains the standard of the past two cigars I have had then they would be in the top 25.

Rob I'm wondering if you were able to try many Monte Esp #2's over the past year, and if so with the exception of size was there much difference with quality or blend vs the Especial which you rated #1?

I know others have a different opinion but I find them very different. Two siblings with connected with the DNA of cream/cocoa but the Especial No 2 has never attained the smooth elegance of the Especial. The Especial in terms of flavour (to me) is Montecristo's answer to the Upmann Sir Winston.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the Montecristo Especial no 2. It does however suffer more in terms of construction than the Especial as well as variability in flavour/blend. It is a tough cigar to roll and it shows. A great one however is a chocolate/coffee/toasted tobacco wonderland.