I've always lived by this philosophy: "Nothing better than an aged tubed Romeo y Julieta Churchill"

I've got loads of those giant red and white tubes lying all over the place now. Along with Siglo IIIs, Siglo IIs, etc. Basically any vit. you can think of, i probably have 3-10 of those tubes.

Obviously, they were the left over pillaged containers of the arson victims that once were inside. But these extra metal casings often costs a pretty penny. So i've always wondered if you could just tube normal cigars and have them make the same slow-ageing, cedary, tad smoother, effect?

I know boxpressed RyJs might be a tad difficult to shove in there at first, but would it be worth it in the end? Things like Bolivar Royal Coronas (that i can't stand) would actually be significantly better if i could just pop them in the RC Tubes and have them soak in that cedar without paying the extra 10% for the tubes that are just resealable, pretty Coke Cans.

Has anyone done this with success? Does anyone practice this?

Furthermore, would it be alright to age a Royal Corona in a Short Churchill tube? Or a Bolivar Petit Corona in a Siglo II tube?

I have tried this to a few boxes. Placed the original untubed cigars into all tubes and have sampled after 1 year, two year, and now three year, but quite honestly I haven't noticed anything different from the normal untubed aging process of the specific cigar I chose to put into Tubos... Which were boxes of CoRos, BPC and Monte 5 ... No effect honestly. I mean don't get me wrong it is easier to have them stay safe and sealed en tubos, but I wouldn't say this mini experiment I've done provided me with any info on possible benefits. That's from my experience though... Sure others could have different outcomes for longer durations if tried. Also depends on the cigar and it's aging properties. Tube really does no harm either so if you are looking to make use of some empty tubes I would say go for it.

Not exactly the same thing but I use Siglo VI and RyJ Romeo #2 tubos to store and transport my days or several days smokes. Even at home I'll chuck one in there out of the humi for the next night. I guess that's kinda dry boxing it but I have performed no comparisons. I have noticed an improved burn line though.

I guess I have an experiment to perform

I'm intending to do the same. And my box pressed R&J Churchills fit just fine into the tubes I have. Right now I have 2011 R&J Churchill tubos, 2013 tubos and 2013 (POU) boxed some 3 pack tubos from Duty Free of unknown year and all four don't look the least bit related, except for the bands. Even the wrappers are striking in their different hues.

Of all of them, the 2011 tubos have been my hands down favorite. They have a lighter aroma cold, almost to the point where you expect a bland smoke, but lit they are spectacular: smooth, complex, lots of subtle and well balanced flavors. The other R&J Tubos (2013 and unknown date) are quite a bit darker in wrapper, richer in aroma when cold, and heavier and more unbalanced when smoked. I suspect some of my full-bodied brethren might appreciate them, but I just moved them to the bottom of the tuperdor for more time. The boxed 2013 POU are very understated in aroma cold, and I have yet to light one since they are a recent HQ box. I hope they smoke as well as my 2011 tubos which were similar in aroma cold.

I guess that it's the factory and bending that make a bigger difference than the tubos, but will try the tubo trick anyway. Ask me again in 5 years!

• Like 1

Furthermore, would it be alright to age a Royal Corona in a Short Churchill tube? Or a Bolivar Petit Corona in a Siglo II tube?

You think each marca has its own aluminum? Or ist own devoted cedar? lol3.gif Of course it'd be alright, an alu tube is an alu tube…

• Like 2

I thought the tubes are only to protect the cigar outside of the humidor from drying out etc. Even looking at "The World of Habanos" P.123.

"Created for railway companies in the 1930's, cedar-lined aluminum tubes help preserve cigars from damage and drying out. Ideal for outdoor pursuits like yachting or mountaineering. Decant the cigars from the tubes when placing them in the humidor."

Or maybe store them in a cedar box with cedar sheets in between the rows. ;-}

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Nah, I think the idea of putting a boxed cigar in a tube is just recycling the tube. You buy them already tubo'd and it's 10-20% more. Plus I do think the tube is beneficial for aging once the cigar has had its initial breathing period, but that's all just hypothetical on my part. Some of the tastiest cigars I've had have been 4-5 year old tubo's, while their boxed brethren were clearly not quite as good. Big caveat to that though, is that the box codes were different so my observation is handicapped by not having a good comparison set.

I thought the tubes are only to protect the cigar outside of the humidor from drying out etc.

perhaps in theory...

but honestly, if you gave me a Bolivar Royal Corona and Bolivar RC Tubos, i could EASIly tell them apart and can't stand the former under a year (too much D4 hints in it). But: the tubed even for 6 months is fantastic.

and the RyJ Churchill by itself is good. but tube it and age it 25% longer... Oh baby!

pretty sure everyone here agrees on that topic though?

A couple of things i thought of, a story and some experience.

A good friend who is the proud owner of an obscene amount of cohiba gran reservas is experimenting with aging them in siglo 6 tubes. I personally believe it will make no difference but it should be interesting. Others should try.

I think the Romeo Churchill aged far better in boxes than tubes. Frequently the tubed ones, for whatever reason always taste like garlic after 20 years.

Thinking of the RyJ cazadorez packaging and the distinct profile the wet-packing has on them; it always made me wonder if a cigar being placed in a tube while still moist from the rolling (at least the wrapper) imparts a distinct profile on them compared to those placed in dress boxes/SLB

...... it always made me wonder if a cigar being placed in a tube while still moist from the rolling (at least the wrapper) imparts a distinct profile on them compared to those placed in dress boxes/SLB

I'm not sure it applies - Cuban cigars are bundled and stored in conditioning rooms (escaparate) prior to boxing / packaging.

• Like 1

I think the Romeo Churchill aged far better in boxes than tubes. Frequently the tubed ones, for whatever reason always taste like garlic after 20 years.

see, everyone i met has said the opposite about those churchills. and i found that after i loved the taste of the round tubes than the square untubed.

but garlic eh? probably with the weird fermentation that just collects in the cedar. my punch punch tubos from 09s are cedary, but i can see where you can get garlic from it.......

you just compared 5 yr old punch punch with mid 90s ryj churchills...

aye. i meant it as "but i do see how the cedar scent on even young tubos would advance to become what he describes as 'Garlic-y.' "

besides, can't remember the last time an RyJ Churchiill T lasted more than 5 years in my humi wink.png

• Like 1

I've always lived by this philosophy: "Nothing better than an aged tubed Romeo y Julieta Churchill"

I've got loads of those giant red and white tubes rlying all over the place now. Along with Siglo IIIs, Siglo IIs, etc. Basically any vit. you can think of, i probably have 3-10 of those tubes.

Has anyone done this with success? Does anyone practice this?

I prefer the aluminum colored tubes but yeah, I do retube. Primarily for travel purposes but have thrown a few in for some time to see the effect.

Jury's still out as to the results however....

• 2 months later...

Not only are A/Ts good for carrying a single stick in your pocket, but I often take a few sticks of something I'm aging and put them in empty tubes. Doesn't seem to do much, although some blends take to the cedar rather well.

Even better put any cigar you can fit into a mag 46 tube with the original cedar...

why original? or why Mag 46 in that case?

curious to why you chose the word 'original'...

This thread makes me want a Boli RC Tubo right now

living makes me want a Bolivar RC-T :lol: