H1N1 antiviral

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got an offer from my employer for free antiviral against the hog-flu H1N1...

Since Im not in any of the risk group and havent had the regular flu at any time in my life im leaning towards NOT taking the shot. Feels like theres to much uncertainity about the side-effects of the antiviral offered.

Hows the thoughts from the rest of you? Gonna take the shot or not?

I was looking for the "hell no" button!

Only once did I accept a flu shot from my employer, and I came down with the flu shortly afterwards. Sure, I know you can't get the actual flu from the shot, only the symptoms. But what's the difference??

I'll take my chances, thank you very much...

Got an offer from my employer for free antiviral against the hog-flu H1N1...

Since Im not in any of the risk group and havent had the regular flu at any time in my life im leaning towards NOT taking the shot. Feels like theres to much uncertainity about the side-effects of the antiviral offered.

Hows the thoughts from the rest of you? Gonna take the shot or not?

i had it a litle while ago and to be honest, no difference to a normal flu and probably a mild one at that - though didn't think so at the time - but it has obviously affected others more.

i remember having typhoid injections, amongst many others, when i went travelling years ago. spent four days in bed, crook as. but i suspect the alternative would have ben much worse.

i'd be inclined to take it though if offered by employers, i'd check with my doc first. better safe all round.

Unless you are among the highly afflicted group...children and the elderly...I see no reason to get it. Don't worry if you're healthy.

If there is. I would love to hear some words of wisdom... :D

I am a primary care physician aka General Practitioner. Honestly, I believe in good old hand washing and covering your mouths. Unless you are in a high risk category, I don't believe that this H1N1 isn't of any real concern. If you look at general statistics from this past flu season...on average I think it is 30000 or so die each year from influenza. With the outbreak of H1N1, the number of flu related deaths have not spiked. I believe in getting the flu vaccine for the only reason being, I have had the flu and would never want it again. Granted, the flu vaccine isn't 100%, I am willing to take any percentage of protection it offers.

The concern I have is that this is a very new vaccine that was manufactured at a rapid pace, no extended trials have been done, therefore side effects and efficacy aren't fully evaluated.

This past year, I have treated a "ton" of children and adults with mild influenza-like-illness, (Type A influenza, but not subtyped to H1N1,) and I did not once catch a cold.

I have a 1 month old at home, and unless some new study comes out, will most likely not get the H1N1 vaccine. What do I tell my patients? I give them the same recommendations that the CDC states. But you can't even trust them, because on their press releases, one person will say that the H1N1 outbreak will be severe, and the next person will say it won't be as bad as we think.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject...

Thanx Ellery for the insight...

We were recently offered a "place" in the H1N1 vacine trial... "hell no" was our reply, I know they'll have to test this stuff on someone but hell it ain't going to be me or my family... yet there are some brave souls out there, good on them.

Was leaning heck no...

But have a 3 week old in the house and am a health care provider with lots of physical contact with patients.

I like Ellery's tips...but if something were to happen to my girl as a result of me bringing something home...

Undecided.

i had it a litle while ago and to be honest, no difference to a normal flu and probably a mild one at that - though didn't think so at the time - but it has obviously affected others more.

i remember having typhoid injections, amongst many others, when i went travelling years ago. spent four days in bed, crook as. but i suspect the alternative would have ben much worse.

i'd be inclined to take it though if offered by employers, i'd check with my doc first. better safe all round.

I had the pleasure of swine flu myself a few weeks back. Agreed, not that much difference to regular flu - although I didn't get the stomach problems that lots of people seem to have had. What I did get though, was very high fever temp, which apparently is a characteristic.

Otherwise, as Ken says not much difference - and the treatment is that same as regular flu (except for having tamiflu), just lie in bed for a day or two drink lots of water and ffs don't try and smoke like I did. I got about 1cm into a BRC and thought I was going to die. That'll learn me.

Or will it? :D

Thanks for the perspective Ellery. No offense to any doctors but I'm against any medication that isnt absolutely necessary. I'll instead eat really healthy and take care of myself. I havent had the flu since I was a kid, just eat your damn brocolli, sleep 7-8 hours, do some high intensity exercise and dont binge drink.

Thanks for the perspective Ellery. No offense to any doctors but I'm against any medication that isnt absolutely necessary. I'll instead eat really healthy and take care of myself. I havent had the flu since I was a kid, just eat your damn brocolli, sleep 7-8 hours, do some high intensity exercise and dont binge drink.

I agree with you 100%, it is the rest of the general public that is the issue. If you look at the US, there is an increasing number of people with obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol. For the most part, these ailments (with the exception of hypertension) can be alleviated with simple diet/portion control and exercise. But realistically, most people don't want to do that. They think that walking an extra 10 min will suffice, and eating 1 donut instead of 2 is considered dieting. For the most part, I am reluctant to freely prescribe unneeded medications. If you think about it, there are side effects to look out for, adherence issues, cost issues. And one of the biggest ER visits are from side effects of medications such as (diarrhea from antibiotics is a big one.)

Especially with the flu H1N1 or other types. People think take an antiviral and you are cured. They don't realize that even with antivirals, you will still have flu-like symptoms. Maybe not as severe, and not as long, but you will still be sick. And in the greater scheme of things, how many of these flu subtypes will become resistant over time. In 2008, the majority of Type A has become resistant to Tamilfu... As I said earlier, I am a big proponent of hand washing and covering your mouth when you sneeze, etc.

If you look at the US, there is an increasing number of people with obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol. For the most part, these ailments (with the exception of hypertension) can be alleviated with simple diet/portion control and exercise. But realistically, most people don't want to do that.

Yea, I just dont understand. I learned at a very early age that anything worth having wasnt easily obtained. You cant be in perfect health and not work at it. You cant swallow a pill (or in this case take a shot) and everything will be better. A few more years of doing what I'm doing and seeing what I'm seeing and I fear i will snap and be forced to sell out to the extreme ignorance and simply come out with the latest 10 minute in your living room Flabdominal blaster, and retire.