The old Dark Wrapper Vs Light Wrapper Argument

I have noticed a trend here of late for members specifically asking for lighter/medium wrappers when we are selecting their cigars.

The trend has been quite apparent over the past 12 months. The "Dark and Oliy" mantra has now become "Light and Shiny"

What has been your experience over the past 12-18 months? What are you preferring? Are you one of those who have become less dogmatic and if so...why?

No preference for either. Wrapper hasn't been the most important flavor component for me. As far as appearance, any color looks appealing. I'll bite regardless of the lure.

Have tried same cigar brand and size with varying wrapper shades of color and the smoke was excellent.

I like dark or light i dont discriminate as long as they taste good i am a happy camper !!! :) Thats also goes for women !!!

I have never asked for specific shades of cigar as it has not really proved a difference to me before. Of more importance to me would be construction and aroma. However, I do expect that all the cigars are of at least 80-90% similarly colored.

Prez,

I remember a bit ago you did a wrapper swap between dark and light from the same box. I think they were Monte 2's and found that the Dark wrapper was better. Might this have contributed to the "Dark and Oily" trend?

I've never really paid attention in the past to flavor differences between the dark and light wrappers myself, but now that I recall it, the test is compelling enough to make me think to ask for Dark wrappers on my next box :)

Prez, your review of the dark and light wrappered Monte 2's was a watershed in my understanding of the influence that wrappers can have on the profile of a cigar. That's why I do express a preference, depending on the marca and the flavors profile. For example, I find that a darker wrapper harmonizes with, and enhances the flavors of a Partagas, but I wouldn't want a dark wrapper on say, an El Rey del Mundo.

Simple aesthetics only as far as I am concerned. The long elegant cigars that I prefer look better in a light shade. The smaller cigars that I also frequent look better in darker colors. What matters most to me is the taste, but a nice box of light cigars are an uncommon and pleasing surprise.

Sometimes I relate dark wrappers to the fireproof leather like wrappers of a few years ago. I prefer thinner wrappers as long as they are not stretched to the point of fragility. Lighter wrappers are typically thinner. -Piggy

Prez, your review of the dark and light wrappered Monte 2's was a watershed in my understanding of the influence that wrappers can have on the profile of a cigar. That's why I do express a preference, depending on the marca and the flavors profile. For example, I find that a darker wrapper harmonizes with, and enhances the flavors of a Partagas, but I wouldn't want a dark wrapper on say, an El Rey del Mundo.

Hi all

I am with Shrink on this one :) ,but having said that i prefer Dark wrappers /Dark Chocolate/Dark Brooding wines... :clap:

But whats in the box is whats in the box,most of the time its out of your control.

Bottom line for me is that they taste good(even though i lean to the darkside :clap:)

Oh and that they are not all Plugged :angry:

Cheers Oz :cigar:

I used to think I preferred dark wrappers. But anymore, I ask Lisa to select a great box with good aroma. Wrapper shade is less important to me. But it's nice to see some oil on the wrapper.

I can only echo what's already been said. I ask for best quality first and foremost. Aesthetically, I do prefer either deep tan or golden brown

wrappers, and really love it when they are smooth and silky to the touch with a nice even sheen.

I also concur that certain cigars just wouldn't look right with certain wrappers - I can't imagine a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur with a claro

wrapper.

If the question is simply what color wrapper do I prefer, the answer is give me a dark one every time. A dark and oily cigar is just beautiful to me. If we expand the question to the totality of the stick, the answer is that wrapper plays second-banana to construction. After all, a plugged dark cigar is still a, well, plugged cigar. However, dark and well rolled--ahhhh nirvana.

For the Dark side

The Ramon Allones Phoenicio Edicion Regional

These look absolutely delicious :dollarsign::blush:

post-5203-1241151562.jpg

post-5203-1241151589.jpg

post-5203-1241151631.jpg

Cheers

OZ :cap:

Oz, wow.. I am jealous....

I find that a fine dark wrapper is just as attractive to me as a light, but I will always admire a darker for it's rarity .

There is something to be said about the silkyness of lighter wrappers and the roughness of darker wrappers though.

To each his own..

Depends on the brand for me.

Cohiba - The lightest wrapper in stock

Bolivar - Darker

PL - Darker

SLR - Lighter wrappers

RyJ - Medium to Light

ERDM - As light as possible

RA - Darker

SCDLH - I like the Oficios and Merc. with as dark as possible, almost EL dark

Partagas - Light or dark, they are all good

I dont care much unless we are talking about a natural versus a maduro. I find my tastes for the present going away from maduro.

As long as the wrappers are consistent and construction is good I dont care so much.

The "Dark and Oliy" mantra has now become "Light and Shiny"

O f course the most important element is the taste, but like Colt said, I also prefer

the darker shade or a true COLORADO. They both however, have their own charm. :dollarsign:

post-3705-1241183827.jpg

I've posted this image before - excuse the quality - but I think it shows the relation between shades fairly well. My personal faves of

the group are the Bolicar CG and the Robaina Unicos.

post-296-1241192803.jpg

... to blazes with the color, I could have a great weekend with those ladies!!!