The old Dark Wrapper Vs Light Wrapper Argument

I'll tell you what I find really enticing, it's the reddish/brown wrappers. Hot damn, those are eye catching! Again though this is pointing to more of a visual aesthetic preference over taste.

Specifically I do prefer darker Partagas SD4's over the lighter. It might just have something to do with how nice that red band looks against a dark wrapper. Subconsciously though I think they taste better too.

I agree with most of the replies. While dark and oily wrappers are an enjoyable aesthetic and may influence flavor, I'm more interested in the "best examples" of a particular production. There are many beautiful variations of wrapper color.

I don't know why, but I prefer dark wrappers on larger ring gauge cigars. On a thinner gauge like a Connie #1 or a Cohiba Lancero I would rather have a medium brown. I don't think that I have ever had anything I would call too light. The recent vintage of cigars have been so flavorful that I can't complain about any wrapper.

Dark all the way. I have not had a great light colored cigar in a few years! As a recent example, I have tested out a half dozen dark Mag 50's from April '08 and about 9 or 10 light Mag 50's from May '08, and the dark ones out perform the light ones EVERY time. I have also tried a fe light wrappered Mag 50's from another friend's box from April '08 and they all taste muted and a bit bland.

Light or dark? For those that can't decide why not have both?

:P

The aroma is most important!

The colorado with the golden hue and some oil will always do it for me for most of the regular production cigars, with the exception of Partagas. Also, each box has its own charm and its own color - maybe the variety is the answer.

For rare, collectible and Customs, I generally prefer dark and oily, except it is impossible to choose - you get what you get, most of the time....

I'll tell you what I find really enticing, it's the reddish/brown wrappers.

My favourite as well...and rare as hens teeth :D

The red brown wrapper is the holy grail for me.