Does anyone do it? Wine or Cigar of the month clubs.

I have never delved into either but I know plenty who have. In my experience, the hardest part of subscriptions is getting out of them. I am not even blaming the companies themselves but rather my own laziness/incompetence that keeps these things going way past the period I actually found them useful. I love it when a CC comes to it's expiry as I get to tidy up/re-evaluate all the crap I have sighed up for in the previous four years :spotlight:

If you do sign up for a Wine or CIgar of the Month club...........and you find it worthwhile......let us know which ones they are :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

I have in the past done the wine club thing where you either get a twice a year selection, or a case of the new vintage release. For a while it was great, because I really enjoyed the wines and it was nice to build up a stockpile of my favourite wines (I have several verticals spanning 8 years of vintages). But after a while it does get a little tiresome. The ones I signed up for no longer exist; Cellarmasters was bought by Woolies, and then eventually absorbed into Dan Murphys, and the other 2 new vintage wine clubs I subscribed to have also ceased (Dorrien Bin 1 and Krondorff Symmetry). Haven't bothered going back on to a subscription.

I don't know if it counts but I've been part of the rum club and am still part of the whisky club here in Aus. 

I find both very handy for getting the odd niche thing but otherwise not always as great value for money or as pleasant on the palate as when you're happy to shop around. Being able to opt out each month is great, however if you forget to do so, not so great (happened more than once and you're landed with a bottle you didn't really want). If you have an unlimited income and love trying new things (my friend, not me) and can get it each month without even noticing its fantastic and a great way to build up a collection. 

I'm a bit envious of those in the states who have Privada and LCC and the like and I know people out here who subscribe but the idea of postage and taxes each month makes the idea seem dreadful. 

I have two wine memberships, but they are direct club memberships with wineries that we have toured and love. We get a half case every other month from each, so it works out to get a 6-bottle delivery every month of selections that have yet to let us down. I feel like that works better than subscribing to a random wine delivery service where you’re rolling the dice on getting something you’ll enjoy versus getting whatever bottles may be piling up at the warehouse that need to be unloaded. We had a third, but ultimately cut it off when the wines started getting stale/uninteresting. 

I used to subscribe to a local meat delivery service that sourced different cuts from various local ranches/farms. That got old rather quickly because although the quality was top notch, I found myself stockpiling some of the cuts that weren’t in our priority wheelhouse. I’d imagine a general wine/spirit/cigar subscription would be the same - you’d get some stuff you really enjoyed and the rest would take up space until it got tossed. 

7 hours ago, BigGuns said:

I have two wine memberships, but they are direct club memberships with wineries that we have toured and love. We get a half case every other month from each, so it works out to get a 6-bottle delivery every month of selections that have yet to let us down. I feel like that works better than subscribing to a random wine delivery service where you’re rolling the dice on getting something you’ll enjoy versus getting whatever bottles may be piling up at the warehouse that need to be unloaded. We had a third, but ultimately cut it off when the wines started getting stale/uninteresting. 

I used to subscribe to a local meat delivery service that sourced different cuts from various local ranches/farms. That got old rather quickly because although the quality was top notch, I found myself stockpiling some of the cuts that weren’t in our priority wheelhouse. I’d imagine a general wine/spirit/cigar subscription would be the same - you’d get some stuff you really enjoyed and the rest would take up space until it got tossed. 

I subcribed to a similar meat delivery service here in Kansas City. Cuts were fabulous and I could pick what I wanted. All sourced from well known farms in the area. I didnt renew when I became a empty nester! 

• Like 1

I already have too many cigars to smoke that I know I do like - let alone getting 3-6 more a month that I've gotta spend time trying out.  All the nudies/mofoh cigars that have come out recently have removed all availability to try new things from my world (to my great liking). 

• Like 1

I subscribe to a service from a local whiskey distillery where they post me 4-5 samples per month for €30. It’s a loss leader for them as the value of the samples always exceed the fee. I’m happy to hand over some cash and taste things I’m unwilling to drop a couple hundred quid on bottle blind.

I’d have little interest in a generic mail order type service. I feel the VP needs to be clear and strong to ensure long term engagement.

Haha. Dana has joined one in the past. She says she canceled it but they keep getting delivered to the office. They are usually Napa reds and not bad for every day drinking.

She has no idea when they’re coming so around Christmas I’ll collect a couple cases and put them under the tree. She has no clue and is always appreciative of my thoughtfulness.

😂😂😂😂🍷🍷🍷🍷

never personally but if you find a decent wine club then they can work very well. you don't want one with too many labels you've never heard of as they are pumping through excess wine and doing so under one-off labels. 

for those who are busy, like a decent drink without paying too much and have no real interest in getting too fanatical about wine and sides of the hill etc, they are actually good things.