Another cigar lounge etiquette (what would you do in this situation)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would mind my own business unless this gentleman was smoking a Dom Perignon, then I would: - become friends with him and find out if his humidor is still packed with those - find out where

Would you make someone's day a better one if you called this person out?  Would you make someone's day worse?  Which would you want to accomplish?  Sounds to me like the guy isn't doing a thing that's

I mean. Not to me. I've been through hell and back in my life to sweat the small stuff. I smoked a lovely Double Corona to this view yesterday.  Made me grateful. I find gratitude is what I

4 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

I agree. If I was that guy I can assure you I would be unpleasant.

My take is that he could buy a $1 coke or anything. It could be unpleasant but I will ask him this Saturday. Perhaps that makes me a bad guy, oh well.

4 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

My take is that he could buy a $1 coke or anything. It could be unpleasant but I will ask him this Saturday. Perhaps that makes me a bad guy, oh well.

Whatever floats your boat! 👍

• Like 1

I don't want to be rude, but I really don't understand why it's even an issue for you. It doesn't affect you and at the end of the day it's none of your business. Maybe you wish to do the same?! And it's why you re annoyed. 

If I was in a non smoking environment and somebody had smoked, I would tell him. Like those annoying people with music in the train. But as long as my well being or somebody else s isn't impacted it's none of my business. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hall Monitor syndrome.

Even pretended to ask the forum's advice, when in reality it was already decided to proceed.

The Hall Monitors were never satisfied with merely monitoring the halls, they always had to tell as many people as possible about the confrontations they had.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chasy said:

What day / time do you plan to confront this stranger? I’ll come watch.

Saturday at 10 am.

12 hours ago, TheGipper said:

Hall Monitor syndrome.

Even pretended to ask the forum's advice, when in reality it was already decided to proceed.

The Hall Monitors were never satisfied with merely monitoring the halls, they always had to tell as many people as possible about the confrontations they had.

I think you got me there.

1 hour ago, Lunettesman said:

I don't want to be rude, but I really don't understand why it's even an issue for you. It doesn't affect you and at the end of the day it's none of your business. Maybe you wish to do the same?! And it's why you re annoyed. 

If I was in a non smoking environment and somebody had smoked, I would tell him. Like those annoying people with music in the train. But as long as my well being or somebody else s isn't impacted it's none of my business. 

I don't wish to do the same. It's like going to a restaurant and bring your own food. 

1 minute ago, VeguerosMAN said:

I don't wish to do the same. It's like going to a restaurant and bring your own food. 

Kirby...just breathe. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

And unless you own that restaurant, it still the same answer. 

Nunja bizness.

• Like 1

I'd at least like to know if i could go into the shop, not buy a cigar, and smoke all day. I wouldn't need a membership at my private lounge if that is the case.

I'm with you on this one, to an extent. It would annoy me to see someone abusing a system that other people honor. No sense in having a rule for everyone if everyone doesn't follow it.

If you absolutely must know his deal, I'd just talk to the guy like normal. Eventually, ask him what he likes from the shop. Pretend you want a recommendation. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BettyHumpder said:

I'd at least like to know if i could go into the shop, not buy a cigar, and smoke all day. I wouldn't need a membership at my private lounge if that is the case.

I'm with you on this one, to an extent. It would annoy me to see someone abusing a system that other people honor. No sense in having a rule for everyone if everyone doesn't follow it.

If you absolutely must know his deal, I'd just talk to the guy like normal. Eventually, ask him what he likes from the shop. Pretend you want a recommendation. 

The rule is set to be honered. According to my father, if the employee knows the individual is breaking the law in the lounge and ignores the issue, then he should be fired.

12 hours ago, Lunettesman said:

If you know someone is breaking the law, would you do something about it? Or would you ignore just because it doesn't affect you? I don't see the difference between telling someone not to smoke in a non-smoking setting as telling someone to buy a cigar in a buy one cigar policy setting to use the lounge. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

If you know someone is breaking the law, would you do something about it? Or would you ignore just because it doesn't affect you? I don't see the difference between telling someone not to smoke in a non-smoking setting as telling someone to buy a cigar in a buy one cigar policy setting to use the lounge. 

If you know the owner (Gary), why not send him an email describing the situation, and see what he says or advises? This is more discreet, and you will get a response from the owner himself. Just a suggestion. Do with it what you will. 

• Like 1

Breaking the law? Really? Is it written somewhere in the penal code that you have to buy a cigar when you go to a lounge ? Non-smoking in public places is a law. Buying a cigar in a lounge is a policy and the owner of the lounge decides if he enforces it or not. Those who don't like it can go smoke somewhere else or open their own lounge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

Breaking the law? Really? Is it written somewhere in the penal code that you have to buy a cigar when you go to a lounge ? Non-smoking in public places is a law. Buying a cigar in a lounge is a policy and the owner of the lounge decides if he enforces it or not. Those who don't like it can go smoke somewhere else or open their own lounge.

You are right. My mistake. It's is a policy that's written on the front entrance and one inside the lounge. It's a cigar shop so I am sure it's an important policy they have.

8 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

You are right. My mistake. It's is a policy that's written on the front entrance and one inside the lounge. It's a cigar shop so I am sure it's an important policy they have.

As important as it may be the owner can still apply the policy as he sees fit. Of course you are still free to ask the customer or the owner why the policy is not enforced for him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

So isn’t what you’re doing then like going to a restaurant and bringing your own entree and dessert, and buying a salad? I don’t see a huge difference.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Islandboy said:

So isn’t what you’re doing then like going to a restaurant and bringing your own entree and dessert, and buying a salad? I don’t see a huge difference.

The policy in the lounge is actually too fair and too good for customers. You just need to buy any cigar in the shop on the same day that you are smoking in the lounge; therefore you can buy a $3 cigar and bring your own cigars to smoke. The customer who refuses to contribute even a dollar to the shop and brings his own stuff from home, to me, is really low. Perhaps I am built different, but things like this really bugs the hell out of me and am losing sleep over this BS for the past 4 weeks. 

I get where @VeguerosMAN is coming from. If everyone did as this telephone pole-smoker did then cigar lounges would not be able to survive. Yes, some of the responsibility is on the staff at the lounge and also ultimately the owner to ensure that these policies are enforced but if @VeguerosMAN wants to confront the guy then i think that’s understandable. After all, we live in a society with rules and social norms…right?

I think what’s most important is that @chasy or some other members also attend in person to provide suppport and solidarity to @VeguerosMAN, and most importantly to film and report back on how this all goes. 🙂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

Perhaps I am built different, but things like this really bugs the hell out of me and am losing sleep over this BS for the past 4 weeks.

At first I thought your problem was no big deal but now i'm a bit worried about you. 

Best advice I can give is buy the place and make sure its policy is enforced by any means.

Sleep is too important.

• Like 4

As it was said it's a policy. And to answer your question as long as it doesn't hurt anyone I don't give a damn if people don't follow a low. Wanna drive your motorbike without a helmet: feel free. None of my business. 

Since it bothers you, what I would do is ask the gentleman that you buy a cigar from every time you come in is ask why this man comes in and never buys a cigar is allowed to smoke in the lounge. They’re maybe a very good reason, they may not care, or they maybe not aware.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Would you make someone's day a better one if you called this person out?  Would you make someone's day worse?  Which would you want to accomplish?  Sounds to me like the guy isn't doing a thing that's not already being accepted by the business as ok, no matter the reason. My opinion, if we had whistleblowers for every rule infraction that's witnessed, we'd all need ear protection. Live and let live.

+1

“Is that a Cuban cigar you’re smoking? Those things are illegal.”
😗😗😗😗🚨🚨🚨🚨🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1