Another cigar lounge etiquette (what would you do in this situation)

Dude you're losing sleep over this? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would mind my own business unless this gentleman was smoking a Dom Perignon, then I would: - become friends with him and find out if his humidor is still packed with those - find out where

Would you make someone's day a better one if you called this person out?  Would you make someone's day worse?  Which would you want to accomplish?  Sounds to me like the guy isn't doing a thing that's

I mean. Not to me. I've been through hell and back in my life to sweat the small stuff. I smoked a lovely Double Corona to this view yesterday.  Made me grateful. I find gratitude is what I

1 hour ago, LigSecVol said:

The only reason that guy should be banned from the lounge is for smoking a 60x7. 😅

He could smoke ten 60x7 for all I care in the lounge, just buy a cigar even if it's $2.  They are running a business, not a charity case. 

4 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Dude you're losing sleep over this? 

It would be a tragedy to lose sleep and go insane over this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JY0 said:

We are being trolled.

+1 was actually thinking the exact same thing. The engagement stats on this thread make it obvious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, chasy said:

+1 was actually thinking the exact same thing. The engagement stats on this thread make it obvious.

I think the engagement level is high because each has a different view on, 'buy one cigar to smoke in the lounge policy'.

10 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

I think the engagement level is high because each has a different view on, 'buy one cigar to smoke in the lounge policy'.

Well that could be true. Personally I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're on about. Not just THIS thread lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Well that could be true. Personally I'm just trying to figure out what it is you're on about. Not just THIS thread lol.

It is not easy when I have to deal with the small stuff (like the lounge policy) that most people would just ignore.

8 hours ago, JY0 said:

Why do you care?

The rule is there to be honored.... and I don't think it's right for a customer to break the rule 4 times in a row and gets away with it. What would happen to the shop if the rule is broken constantly? They would be going out of business sooner or later over nonsense. 

7 hours ago, JY0 said:

Brother, it's really none of your business. No disrespect intended.

None taken.  Imagine you are sitting in a fine dining place and someone next to you sits and takes out his own food instead of ordering from the menu.  "Sir, what would you like to order?", the waitress asks. "No, I brought my own food" is the reply. How would you feel about that as a customer? That's how I see the whole situation. Better yet, the policy states that you can smoke your own cigars as long as you buy one cigar from the shop on the same day that you are smoking in the lounge. It's one thing to break the rule once, but to break the rule 4 times in a row, I think it needs to be addressed in one way or another. I appreciate all the useful tips given by the members about how to address the issue and not cause any disastrous confrontation.

I think a lot of people are quietly hoping for a disastrous confrontation. Also, it’s more like bringing your own food to a grocery store.

13 hours ago, JY0 said:

We are being trolled.

I really don't think so. Some people have a certain level of integrity and moral compass. It irks them to see some people "gaming" the system without any consequences. I can fully understand. But is it worth a confrontation resulting in bodily harm or worse? Hell no!!

54 minutes ago, chasy said:

I think a lot of people are quietly hoping for a disastrous confrontation. Also, it’s more like bringing your own food to a grocery store.

It's an intimate setting with a newly walking humidor with 4 lounge chairs, so it's more like a fine dining experience than a grocery store. It's me, the employee, the retired Army general, and the newly rule breaker at the lounge on Saturday mornings, so I don't think it will be a disastrous confrontation. 

1 minute ago, VeguerosMAN said:

It's an intimate setting with a newly walking humidor with 4 lounge chairs, so it's more like a fine dining experience than a grocery store. It's me, the employee, the retired Army general, and the newly rule breaker at the lounge on Saturday mornings, so I don't think it will be a disastrous confrontation. 

Saturday morning can’t come around fast enough!

Genuinely hope it all goes well on Saturday and you get the satisfaction or closure you need on this.

6 hours ago, SCgarman said:

I really don't think so. Some people have a certain level of integrity and moral compass. It irks them to see some people "gaming" the system without any consequences. I can fully understand. But is it worth a confrontation resulting in bodily harm or worse? Hell no!!

Have you been to the newly renovated OVTC Pentagon city (Arlington) location when you were living in VA? What makes you think it could result in bodily harm or worse? 

It's one of the difficulties on a forum, most of us don't know each other personally so we lack context to understand one another or in this case, your issue with the situation @VeguerosMAN.

Everything has already been said, the simplest way to deal with it is to talk with an employee, you seem to be annoyed although you don't really know what is going on.

The man could very well be a friend of the owner or maybe he comes every day and buys sticks for the week when you're not there, fwiw I think you don't have the keys to evaluate the situation at the moment. 🤔

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:23 AM, VeguerosMAN said:

The rule is there to be honored.... and I don't think it's right for a customer to break the rule 4 times in a row and gets away with it. What would happen to the shop if the rule is broken constantly? They would be going out of business sooner or later over nonsense. 

If the owner allows it then the customer is not breaking any rules. The fact that you saw it 4 times in a row makes me think that they allow him to smoke his cigars without buying one. Maybe this customer is a very very good friend of the owner. Maybe the customer buys boxes from this lounge or maybe he invested money in that place. The thing is neither the customer or the owner/staff owes you an explanation and frankly if I was either of them I would probably not give you one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

If the owner allows it then the customer is not breaking any rules. The fact that you saw it 4 times in a row makes me think that they allow him to smoke his cigars without buying one. Maybe this customer is a very very good friend of the owner. Maybe the customer buys boxes from this lounge or maybe he invested money in that place. The thing is neither the customer or the owner/staff owes you an explanation and frankly if I was either of them I would probably not give you one.

They don't owe me an explanation if I don't ask about it, but if I ask the employee kindly why that particular customer never buys a cigar to smoke in the lounge, a simple answer shouldn't be that difficult, in my opinion.

• Like 1